Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgrear Nighthawk R8000 keeps dropping wifi

Roman55
Follower

Netgrear Nighthawk R8000 keeps dropping wifi

So I called but can't get help becuase you have to pay for it, total BS.  We've had the router for about 10 months and it started with just freezing here and there.  11 months now and the wifi just keeps shutting off.  It was happening all day the other day and now it just happens at various times.  I can watch tv and cruise the inernet for two hours fine then the router looses connection and everything freezes.  I have to reset it and reconnect.  I can have a signal for a min, ten minutes or a few hours depending on the time of day.  I have done a reset, firmwear update, changed channels, and everything else they suggesed in an email to me.   My modem is through Spectrum.   I just can't figure out why its randomly cutting out everyday.   

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Netgrear Nighthawk R8000 keeps dropping wifi

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Like @michaelkenward says, an actual firmware number helps. You also put that you changed firmwares.

What version were you on? 

Do wired devices drop or just wireless?

have you noticed if its isolated to a certain band like the 2.4ghz vs the 5ghz-1/5ghz-2? 

Do all devices drop at the say time or just 1?  

When you say they drop, what actually happens? Does the wifi stop broadcasting (can't see ssid)? Does it say "connected, no internet"? Does it say "connected, internet" but not actually work? What are you actually seeing happen? 

Message 3 of 7
Spotratz
Aspirant

WiFi only keeps dropping. All three bands. Firmware is v1.0.4.76 on Spectrum modem (no router) model E31t2v1. One minute I get 328mbps and the next no connection. Thanks for your help.
Message 4 of 7

@Spotratz wrote:
One minute I get 328mbps and the next no connection.

That  speed is suspiciously high, especially for the R8000. It is much faster than most wifi clients are capable of delivering.

How are you measuring it? The speedtest in the Nighthawk app does not measure the wifi speed. It tests the wired speed through the modem.

You could answer these questions from @plemans :

Do all devices drop at the say time or just 1? When you say they drop, what actually happens? Does the wifi stop broadcasting (can't see ssid)? Does it say "connected, no internet"? Does it say "connected, internet" but not actually work? What are you actually seeing happen?

The devil is in the details. Those questions help to diagnose where things might be going wrong.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Have you tried any factory resets and reinstall (without using a backup)?

Or tried downgrading the firmware? if the issue just cropped up in the last month or 2, it could be firmware causing the issue. You can try downgrading a version or 2 and seeing if that helps

Message 6 of 7

@plemans wrote:

Or tried downgrading the firmware? if the issue just cropped up in the last month or 2, it could be firmware causing the issue.

Definitely worth trying. Recent firmware has been troublecome for many people.

Here's how to go about it:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7