Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New R7000P and would like to change network name and and password

nU2Routers
Follower

New R7000P and would like to change network name and and password

It has been so long since I installed a new router, I have forgotten how I go about changing the name and passwords.  Am running Windows 10; was a beta tester so have been using Windows 10 since October 2014.

For example:  The WiFi network name is the one shown on the bottom of the new router, as is the password.  I would like to change those to a bit same name and password.  I don't want to screw up this router, so decided to ask for your kind guidance.  Thanks so much for all your help.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: New R7000P and would like to change network name and and password

Under Wireless settings you can make it whatever you please. However making them the SAME can cause problems. Making them the same IS required if you use SMART CONNECT where the router would determine which SSID band to connect a new device to. If you are not using Smart Connect and you made them both the same SSID how would you know which one was the 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz? Normally one would use different names or use the same name but with a 2.5 (or 2) and a 5 after the common name. That way you could distinguish the band it is. Passwords can be the same in this case.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Under Wireless settings you can make it whatever you please. However making them the SAME can cause problems. Making them the same IS required if you use SMART CONNECT where the router would determine which SSID band to connect a new device to. If you are not using Smart Connect and you made them both the same SSID how would you know which one was the 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz? Normally one would use different names or use the same name but with a 2.5 (or 2) and a 5 after the common name. That way you could distinguish the band it is. Passwords can be the same in this case.

Message 2 of 3

There is a manual for the R7000P somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Always a good place to start. See page 56.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7