Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN on loading pages

FURRYe38
Guru

New - R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.84 Released

Security Fixes: 3/30/22

Fixes security vulnerabilities. (Don't know if this resolves the DNS issues seen on v.76 version.)

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Enable IPv6 Auto if you continue to see DNS Probe or Proxy messages in browsers. 

R7960pIPv6AutoDetectOnly.png

NOTE: For users experiencing the Invalid MAC Address when selecting and adding an IP address reservation. Please contact NG support or a NG forum moderator to help you get the beta FW that fixes this problem seen in this version of FW.

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit:https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8000.aspx#docs

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

Let us know how it works for you...

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 58
fursty
Initiate

X6 R8000 V1.0.4.84_10.1.84 MASSIVE SPEED DROP

X6 R8000 V1.0.4.84_10.1.84 MASSIVE SPEED DROP

Since update ... massive speed drop?  

Message 1 of 58
fursty
Initiate

Re: X6 R8000 V1.0.4.84_10.1.84 MASSIVE SPEED DROP

Checking post-- this is a common issue-- time for a new vendor....  

Message 2 of 58
plemans
Guru

You didn't give us much to go off other than router and firmware. 

What gateway is it connected to? 

What drop in speed? (actual values)

Was it wifi? Wired? And if wifi, are you testing 2.4ghz or 5ghz? (hint, 2.4ghz is a much slower network)

If it was after a firmware upgrade, did you try a factory reset/reinstall? 

Message 3 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your not using Armor, Circle or QoS when testing speeds...

Message 5 of 58
Sylm3
Tutor

Re: New - R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.84 Released

OK i download it and will tryit. If the DNS issue is fixed i go back here 😛

Message 6 of 58
hrabcakm
Star

On my side DNS issue persists, reverting back to .68 version.

Message 7 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW was updated? 

@hrabcakm wrote:

On my side DNS issue persists, reverting back to .68 version.

Message 8 of 58
hrabcakm
Star

Of course.

Message 9 of 58
hrabcakm
Star

Can confirm that DNS issue remain as major unresolved issue also in this FW release.

Manual Update -> Factory reset -> Setup from scratch -> Test on W10 machine -> issue occurs immediatelly also on intel.com site 

I¨ve tested multiple R8000 units and issue persist. 

Pure wasting of my time ...

Message 10 of 58
uksu
Tutor

So, after like 8 months and even releasing new firmware, the part with the remote management page where you can activate/deactivate remote control and use your own port is still not fixed as well as the DNS problem described here?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-Have-to-load-every-page-2x-after-insta...

It is marked solved... How can you see this as solved? Nothing has been fixed but thankfully we have a workaround at least. But this is a core feature not to have to change adapter settings on EACH device... Come one, please fix this immediately.

How can NETGEAR release new firmware but not address these key features of a product?

Message 11 of 58
uksu
Tutor

And yes, I did a factory reset and had to manually reenter lots of entries. The problems still exist.

Message 12 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

@uksu wrote:

So, after like 8 months and even releasing new firmware, the part with the remote management page where you can activate/deactivate remote control and use your own port is still not fixed as well as the DNS problem described here?

The remote management for web based remote access has gone away. Not coming back.

For some remote access and some remote configurations:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062097/Remote-Management-is-now-Anywhere-Access-in-the-Nighthawk-and-Orbi-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-Have-to-load-every-page-2x-after-insta...

It is marked solved... How can you see this as solved? Nothing has been fixed but thankfully we have a workaround at least. But this is a core feature not to have to change adapter settings on EACH device... Come one, please fix this immediately.

You'll need to downgrade FW to v.68 or v.62 until NG fixes the DNS issues. 

Message 13 of 58
DMP11400
Tutor

So, I do the update and come to the forum to provide my results and I get a DNS error so I can't sign-in. Reverted to 68 version. It's just too bad that this issue can't/won't be fixed.

Message 14 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

NG knows and is working on it. Please be patient.

Message 15 of 58
bois-e
Tutor

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN on loading pages

After installing and upgrading FW on my nighthawk X6, I consistently get DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors. I tried setting to google dns resolution (8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4), but still encountered the error.

I also tried flushing the dns cache on my client devices.

I also tried clearing cookies, browser cache in chrome.

I then went back to the get DNS from ISP.

I also tried going to the router admin and turning the ipV6 connection type from Disabled to 6to4Tunnel (which I saw in another community post worked for them)-- but did not work for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 16 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router do you have? R####? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Does enabling IPv6 on the router change anything? 

Message 17 of 58
bois-e
Tutor

Firmware Version:  V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Hardware Version: R8000

Modem: ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem (Purchased)

My network was working fine with a previous netgear nighthawk modem that I factory reset and gave to a friend. I was hoping this would be an upgrade. So far, it's been a bit of a pain.

I saw the DNS probe error on a device, but I rebooted it, I will continue to look for issues and report.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 18 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

If you see this again, try enabled IPv6 on the router and see if this changes anything. 

This has been a known issue on some recent versions of FW. If you see this again and IPv6 doesn't change the behavior, you can downgrade to v.62 or v.68 and will resolve this. NG is aware if the issue and is working on it. 

Message 19 of 58
nnagreg
Apprentice

Yes,  I had the same problem with the new firmware,   I was able to resolve this by enable IPv6.  

Hope this works for you as well!

See my problem thread here :  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/DNS-Hijacking-R8000P-presenting-errors-requi...

Solve ->   ENABLE IPv6

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 58
bois-e
Tutor

Thank you Furrye38 and nnagreg. I believe my problem has gone away by enabling ipV6 (set to 6to4 Tunnel)

Message 21 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. So this is still a bug. Shouldn't need to enable IPv6. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 22 of 58
rehmanaisha4321
Aspirant

Facing some Speed issues😥😭

Message 23 of 58
Trevsweb
Tutor

firmware: V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Model: NighthawkNighthawk X6 R8000    

Device reset to factory settings.

getting this page cannot be displayed on initial page load on multiple devices but then the page loads

also huge speed drops from 250mb/s to around 50mb/s

not expecting a fix but just highlighting so netgear can see the issue and try to patch the firmware

Message 24 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Try enabling IPv6.

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable Traffic Meter as well.

@Trevsweb wrote:

firmware: V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Model: NighthawkNighthawk X6 R8000    

Device reset to factory settings.

getting this page cannot be displayed on initial page load on multiple devices but then the page loads

also huge speed drops from 250mb/s to around 50mb/s

not expecting a fix but just highlighting so netgear can see the issue and try to patch the firmware

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7