Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New internet provider using existing netgear router

New internet provider using existing netgear router

I have just changed internet service providers and I want to use my existing router but don’t know how to set it up
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New internet provider using existing netgear router

Message 13 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router do you have? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Try option #2 first...

Message 2 of 21

Hello, My existing router is a Net gear Nighthawk AC1900, My new supplier has fitted me with a TP Link AX1500 WiFi 6 Router, the problem is i have an extender so i want to use my Net gear Nighthawk router. My Extender is a Net gear AC2200 

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Those AC numbers are wifi combined numbers. 

The NH router will be a R#### and extender should be a EX####. 

What is the brand and model# of the ISP modem/ONT that the TPlink is connected too? 

Message 4 of 21

Router is R7000

Extender is EX7700

New router that i have been supplied with is a TP Link Archer AX10

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

There a ISP modem in front of the TP Link? Brand and model#? 

You should be able to replace the TP Lilnk with the R7000 if you want too. The TP Link is newer and has WiFi 6 where as the R7000 is only WiFi 5 supporting. 

You could try to connect the EX7700 to the TPLlink however may not work well or if it does, would only supply WiFi 5 signals as it's also not WiFi 6 supporting. 

Message 6 of 21

New RouterNew RouterThing before routerThing before router

Message 7 of 21

The thing before the modem has no markings on it, i have sent a couple of pictures

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok that's an ONT. Fiber Optic service box from the ISP. 

Will be up to you if you want to use the R7000 or TP Link. 

If you use the R7000 router, just power both the ONT and R7000 router off. Connect the ONT to the R7000, then power ON the ONT first then R7000. Should connect up. 

Message 9 of 21

Really as easy as that? Is there nothing else that needs to be done? I will try this tomorrow, i have been on this all day today and messed up the settings on just about all my wifi items in the house, will let you know how i get on,

Thanks a lot for your help Phil

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Normally yes. If there isn't any special configurations that the ISP needs thru the ONT. Most don't. Just a power off of the ONT and connect up the router. Turn back ON everything.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 11 of 21

Will do thank you, shall i close this case or let you know how i get on tomorrow?

Cheers Phil

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 21

@thephilnewman wrote:
I have just changed internet service providers and I want to use my existing router but don’t know how to set it up

In all of the complicated stuff in the other replies to you, I can find no mention of one essential bit of advice.

You should get your existing router to forget any settings it picked up from your old ISP. So you need to get back to the initial settings.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 14 of 21

Thank you very much for your help, the information you gave me resolved my issues. In case this ever comes up again, you also need to change the settings for the PPPoE and the VLAN, i phoned the supplier this morning and they gave me the information needed, but i wouldnt have got this far without your help so thanks again.

Cheers Phil

Message 15 of 21

Hi thanks for the reply, i have done a full reset and its all okay now thank you.

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@thephilnewman wrote:

Thank you very much for your help, the information you gave me resolved my issues. In case this ever comes up again, you also need to change the settings for the PPPoE and the VLAN, i phoned the supplier this morning and they gave me the information needed, but i wouldnt have got this far without your help so thanks again.

Cheers Phil

Message 17 of 21

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping.

By all means store a backup of your configuration – I do it all the time – but remember that there are times when restoring old settings does more harm than good. In this case, for example, it would brought back the troublesome PPPoE setting.

Message 18 of 21

Backup file all saved thanks

Message 19 of 21

Hi we haven't spoken for a couple of weeks now and not sure if you will remember me or not, but you helped me set up my router with my new internet provider. Anyway to cut a long story short, i wanted good wifi in my garage and i had a netgear range extender, it never seemed to work very well so i have spent the last couple of weeks running some cat6a cable up to the garage so the extender is hard wired to the router. Then the problems started, it doesn't seem to want to connect up properly, i have spent most of today trying to configure it to no avail, do you have any ideas what i might be able to do to fix it please?

Cheers 

Phil

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model extender did you install? 

Only thing to check on the extender is make sure that the channels are far apart on the router and extender. Channel 1 and 40 on the main router and channel 11 and 149 on the extender. 

Make sure the cabling is configuration is good and working right. Check with a laptop at the remote end of the cable to make sure it works ok. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7