Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk R700 QoS= slow download speed

EHerr
Aspirant

Night Hawk R700 QoS= slow download speed

I play games on my PC, so having stable ping is preferable. Having good download speed is also awesome to have, as I need to frequently update some games or download others. The problem is that I have both of these, but not at the same time.

To put it shortly: When QoS is enabled, I get steady ping but super low download speeds. When I have QoS disabled, I get high download speed but inconsistent ping. 

What I have tried: I have tried making my device the highest priority, in the case that the band with was being limited for my download speed. Nothing changed, and my download speed remained the same. 

I have also noticed that there is an uplink speed limit configuration in QoS, but not a downlink speed configuration. My best guess about this issue is that enabling QoS is limiting how much band with is being allocated to my downlink (download) speed. But, without downlink configuration options, I can't tell. 

Any advice? 

Model: Night Hawk R7000 

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Night Hawk R700 QoS= slow download speed

Enabling QoS, especially on older routers, always slowed down or caused the speed to have a overhead cap. I think as time went one QoS got some tuning in this area however it has mostly always slowed bandwidth speed results. Nature of the beast. 

You can either use it or not use it or you might consider getting in to something different. Maybe an actual Gaming router since you seem to be a gamer. 🤖

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How are you speed testing? Wired PC and routers web page or external speed test app?

Is Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Message 2 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

Sorry about the late response!

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

I believe that the manufacturer of my modem is Arris, and the model is Arris Surfboard SB6183.

I am speed testing through speedtest.net, by Ookla. It tells me both my upload and download speeds. 

Armor shouldn't be enabled, as I haven't set it up or created an account for it.

Traffic meter is disabled. 
Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What speeds UP and Down do you pay for? 

Your using older FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

Message 4 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

I pay for 200 mbps download and 10 mbps upload. With QoS on, my 10 mbps upload stays the same, but my download goes down from 200 mbps to around 10 mbps. 

I'll check out that firmware link you sent and see if I can't update it. 

Message 5 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

I just updated the firmware, and still, I can only muster 10mbps download speed with QoS on. 

I have also noticed that other devices, such as my phone or laptop, have 200mb download speed despite QoS being enabled. Both my phone and my laptop are not connected to the wifi via ethernet. Is it possible that this download speed limitation is the result of ethernet? 

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the speed results with QoS disabled?

Message 7 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

Without QoS enabled, I get 200 mbps download and 11 mbps upload. 

Message 8 of 19

@EHerr wrote:

QoS was cooked up in the days when Internet speeds were too slow to allow several things to happen at the same time. These days it is, as you have found, more a hindrance than a help.

This might be worth reading:

What is Quality of Service (QoS) in Networking? - Fortinet https://www.fortinet.com › resources › cy...

It says there:

Another Google hit suggests:

"QoS is generally not necessary when you have a high-speed broadband connection that has enough bandwidth for all of your applications at once."

For some time now, the advice around here has been that QoS is pointless when your Internet seed is above 200 Mbps.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you experience any problems if you leave QoS disabled? 

@EHerr wrote:

Message 10 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

I do experience problems when I leave it disabled. I get a lot of jitter in my ping when I'm in a game. When I have QoS enabled, I hardly get any jitter and my ping stays very consistent. 

Message 11 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

I have come across some articles saying the same thing, that QoS isn't necessary. I'd whole heartily agree, but my problem is that when it is enabled, I do benefit from QoS. My grievance in this situation is that the reason why I have higher internet speeds is mainly so that I can have better/steady connection quality in games. When I have QoS disabled, I get way more jitter in my ping then I do when it is enabled. For the sake of not having 10 mbps download speed, it's probably smarter to leave it disabled. I'm just wondering however, if there is a reason why QoS seemingly limits my download speed when its enabled. What's even stranger is that all my other devices that are connected to the wifi without an ethernet have perfectly fine download speeds with QoS enabled. Unfortunately, my desktop is not capable of wifi connection, so I can't test it off of ethernet. I can however, test my laptop with ethernet. So I will go run that test soon and post the results. 

Speaking of ethernet, if it's of any use, my ethernet can handle 1 Gbs. 

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Well understand that for gaming, the upload is more important than the download. Most games are not huge bandwidth hogs when gaming online. Downloading the game and installing it of course. Games mostly use minimal bandwidth. 

I presume that for QoS and it's configuration maybe based on older code back then and not sure if that even updated anymore in recent FW versions. I don't run QoS or have it enabled on my 1Gb/50Mb ISP plan. Just no need for it. 

Jitter can come from many things, wifi, noise, bad ISP signals and environment.

Ethernet wired connections is preferred for gaming and support 1Gb connection rate when using CAT6 cabling. 

Your desktop should be able to test ethernet if it has a ethernet adapter. 

Message 13 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

I am using ethernet for my desktop. It's wifi that it can't run. My motherboard doesn't have a wifi chip in it, so its only through ethernet that I get internet. My ethernet is also cat 6 and supports 1 Gbps (1000/1000) connection rate. If anything, it's the devices not connected via ethernet that get 200 mb download speed when QoS is enabled.

I understand download doesn't really affect ping performance and that upload speed is more important. From what I can gather, enabling QoS helps with some kind of jitter traffic, as represented by my fluctuating ping in game when QoS is disabled. What I'm wondering is why my download speed is limited when I enable QoS. There's an option to limit uplink bandwith, but not for downlink bandwidth. Really, I want the steady ping that QoS provides, but also the download speed it takes away. Is it normal for QoS to sacrifice download speed for less jitter? Is QoS supposed to limit my download speed?
Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Enabling QoS, especially on older routers, always slowed down or caused the speed to have a overhead cap. I think as time went one QoS got some tuning in this area however it has mostly always slowed bandwidth speed results. Nature of the beast. 

You can either use it or not use it or you might consider getting in to something different. Maybe an actual Gaming router since you seem to be a gamer. 🤖

Message 15 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

Fair enough. I haven't been around QoS long enough to actually know what to expect. If enabling QoS has a history of doing this sort of thing then I guess I can't really say this predicament wasn't to be expected. If there really is no way to maintain a normal download speed with QoS enabled, I'll just leave it at that. Thanks for the suggestions!
Message 16 of 19

Another factor is the R7000. This router is now getting on for 10 years old. It was never the most powerful router on the block.

A good middle of the road device that met most needs, but perhaps not the requirements of heavy gamers.

That is why, when Netgear got into the gaming market, it went with hardware based on the R7800, a more "powerful" router than the R7000.

Message 17 of 19
EHerr
Aspirant

Yeah, that's looking like it be the most practical thing to do. For now, I'll keep QoS disabled and look into some new routers. Thanks!

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 😉

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements