Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk R7000p Bad Firmware

Rubixcube
Aspirant

NightHawk R7000p Bad Firmware

Running latest Firmware

Router still reboots every 3-5 hours, log file never saves nor can I pull up any past the last hour. useless.

I have reboot, reset, used every Firmware there is.

1.3.3.140 sucks

I had to go back to the one before this

Netgear are you going to get your @#$#@ fixed. this is the worst router experience I have ever had. 

only reason i had to upgrade was bc the speeds on my 9 year old Enguines Corporate Mesh router were slow at this point . 

I loved that thing. not great for gaming but never reboot. 

I will never be purchasing a Netgear product ever again, I will advise clients to never use any of your products as well.

at this point you should be taking this thing back and refunding my money. I paid ALOT for this thing and greatly disappointed. 

Luckily AT&T ONT has built in WiFi router so we are actually getting the speeds we should be, unlike this paperweight. still cannot get wifi speed above 550, so sad. and im running a Alienware M17 R4 so yes it can do the speeds. 

I am trying to get Dell to take this thing back and replace it with another company. 

I do not really expext you to actually respond, I just want others to know the experience I have had, and the fact that no customer support fo this device is sad. I have to pay you over $40.00 to just talk to someone and tell me to reboot the device and try a different firmware. Google could tell me that. 

this device requires a debug and possible PCAP to find out what is going on. that is not my job. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: NightHawk R7000p Bad Firmware

@Rubixcube wrote:

Luckily AT&T ONT has built in WiFi router so we are actually getting the speeds we should be, unlike this paperweight. still cannot get wifi speed above 550, so sad. and im running a Alienware M17 R4 so yes it can do the speeds. -----Have you actually read any testing on wifi speeds? hitting 550mbps over 5ghz is pretty impressive for an AC router. Especially that router. Sounds like its hitting its peak speeds for what it is. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33109-netgear-r7000p-nighthawk-smart-wifi-...

It might be worth reading through some education on wifi and misunderstandings people have about wifi. this site has a great walkthrough that helps greatly with helping understand it. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

I am trying to get Dell to take this thing back and replace it with another company. ----I'd recommend reading through some tested reviews on router throughput under optimal conditions so you have a realistic expectation of what the router can do that you're buying. Again, its under optimal so you'll see the peak speeds in the testing but not quite that high in your home but it gives you a good base point of what to know. I prefer smallnetbuilder as they use a defined testing procedure and layout how everything is tested and the pro's/con's. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I do not really expext you to actually respond---and you won't on the community support forum. Its where members of the public help out for free. We're not netgear. We're just people trying to help. , I just want others to know the experience I have had, and the fact that no customer support fo this device is sad. I have to pay you over $40.00 to just talk to someone and tell me to reboot the device and try a different firmware. Google could tell me that. ---the box also listed that support is only free for the first 90 days. If you're outside of that window, it does cost $. 

this device requires a debug and possible PCAP to find out what is going on. that is not my job. ----and all companies have issues with firmware. I've tested routers for multiple companies and most of the bigger ones have bugs that the firmware runs into. Sadly, a lot of them don't even update firmware to fix them. I have 2 flagship routers from other companies that didn't get a single update after release. And they're not "bug free". Its the reason I don't buy equipment from them anymore. Netgear might have bugs/issues but at least their devices are still getting updates. The R7000P is a 4 year old device still getting updates. There might be the occasional issue but at least its being worked on. 

Message 2 of 4
robjak
Luminary

Re: NightHawk R7000p Bad Firmware

Rubixcube  What do you use to test your internal wifi speeds?  

Message 3 of 4
Rubixcube
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000P Still Rebooting 2022

Nighthawk R7000p

Firmware Version
V1.3.3.148_10.1.82

I bought this back in 2020 I believe because it was stated to be the better router for gaming and such. paid $$$$ for it. very disappointed. 

it is now 2022 and the rebooting issue has not disappeared. everyday randomly it reboots every 4-7 hours. I would do a PCAP on it if I was being paid to troubleshoot it but I am not. the log file is useless because every time I log in to extract it; it only shows current logins from point of login till I log out, once I log out and and log back in same issue, only shows from login point of time stamp till I log out. router is defective. 

before some NETGEAR person states you should do this and that here is the answer to all that garbage: 

I have a AT&T ONT fiber router, since day one, Jan 4 2021 it has not dropped internet or connection, my server has not bee offline not once. so its not my internet connection. 

this Nighthawk is setup to govern the kids and such, the small stuff and it reboots often. The Nighthawk is defective and NETGEAR should have issued a recall or when I last posted my issue offered to replace it with something else back in 2021 when I first reported my issue. However they did not so I recommend that people do not purchase the product, and be weary of their future products. 

yes I still use this thing because I paid a lot of $$$ for it and have moved it to only govern small stuff like Netflix, Hulu and such so it is only bothersome when we lose connection in the middle of our movie. all the important hardware is connected to the AT&T router. 

side note: bandwidth thorough put is not accurate for the specs. at least with this one. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7