Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 wifi dropping issue

maxman1
Apprentice

Here is a follow-up to my post yesterday.

I bought the Linksys EA9500 after returning the Netgear r9000 at Best Buy. While there, I took a look at the Linksys Velop, but left with the EA9500. When I got home with the new Linksys router, I decided to do some research on the Velop. I went back to Best Buy, returning the EA9500 and buying the Velop.

It is working unbelievably great. My connections are faster than they have ever been. Doing a speed test from the router, I got 120+ mb/s. My old r9000 as of yesterday never got better than 99 mb/s. 

I was using the Plex server on the r9000 as posted yesterday with issues. What I didn't post is I also run Plex on a QNAP device which works great in my home network. But it never worked well when accessing it from outside the home network. I always chalked that up to QNAP. That is why I used the Plex server on the r9000, to access from outside my home.

I turned on access to the QNAP Plex server to outside the home again. And holy cow, it works phenomenally well... This wasn'ty a problem of the QNAP server, but of my Netgear devices in the home.

So I have removed everything Netgear and have 3 Linksys Velop installed. I couldn't be happier with my home network after putting it through the paces all day yesterday into late last night. When your kids don't complain at least once about the 'crappy' (netgear) Internet, you know something is going well. 

While at Best Buy, I noticed Netgear had something similar to Linksys Velop. It's funny, all I could see when I looked at Netgear's display was a pile of poop. Swindlers who don't deserve a dime of any consumer's money.

My r9000 nightmare is over, except I now have $500 that could have been as easily burned, except it was spent on a junk r9000 router now sitting idle in my home. Netgear, refund my money. This may be my last post, but if someone from your legal department does not contact me to initiate a refund, you will be hearing me through the legal channels. 

Message 101 of 170
NGSucks2017
Tutor

It has now been 11 Days since logs have been requested in this Forum post, and it has been since 9/29/2017 since I opened my case with Netgear Support. I have only been offered an RMA to replace the product with the same broken product. Your userbase demands a response immediately. 

Message 102 of 170
Nick_W2
Aspirant

Wow!

This is not encouraging. I recently had problems with network printing, that I traced back to my R7500 router - which I then turned off. I also disabled the 5GHz network on my old R7000 router (hardwired to the R9000 in AP mode), so that I could be sure that 5Ghz was connecting to my less than 1 year old R9000.

Now I find that the 5GHz network dissapears almost every day. If your device is connected already, you are OK, but new devices do not see the 5GHz network, it's as if the ssid just stops being sent. The router is running F/W V1.0.2.40 (the latest). I don't know if the 2.4 Ghz is dissapearing as well (as my R7000 2.4GHz is still on, so we may be connecting to that).

A reboot fixes it (for a while), but I can't reboot my router every day!

After the fiasco with mynetgear.com disappearing this weekend, and reading the issues described here, my faith in Netgear is shaken.

Is there any fix for this obviously widespread issue? 30-30-30 resets just don't seem to work.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 103 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Nick_W2 If you downgrade the firmware, will you experience the same?

Since when did you experience the issue? 

Is the 5GHz LED lit whenever the SSID disappears from the list of networks?

Message 104 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Since I am still getting notices and your reply was to another person... I want to point out Elaine that the one I bought this weekend (late last week) I did not bother to upgrade the firmware. My old r9000 had the latest firmware.

I think it is apparent reading through the entire chain it does NOT matter what firmware version the r9000 is on, you have a big issue you refuse to address.

If I end up getting an attorney rather than you compensating for my old r9000, it is going to cost you a lot more than just working with me and compensating me for my losses. 

Of course your legal department may think it has legs to stand on... except if I get an attorney, I will tell him not only to have my old r9000 tested, but go ahead and buy any r9000 off the shelf, they are all doing the same thing.

Message 105 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

BTW the Linksys Velop has been working like a charm, absolutely ZERO issues since putting it in! 

Message 106 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@maxman1 Your responses are under review and someone will be in contact with you regarding your case. 

Message 107 of 170
Loudog2
Apprentice

Lights were out on the antennas again. So Wi-Fi was gone again till I rebooted.  Are the antenna lights going out on anyone else?  This is 3 Times in the last couple weeks.  

Message 108 of 170
Nick_W2
Aspirant

I havent tried downgrading the firmware.

The problem happened today again, and this time I looked into it a little closer. It seems that both 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz radios were off (my connections were going through my backup R7000). The blue lights on the antenna were off, but the white 2.4 and 5.8 LEDs were on. My WiFi scanner showed no transmissions from the R9000 (just the R7000).

I tried turning the radios off (in advanced wireless setings) and back on, which turned the blue antenna lights back on, but the advanced home screen showed the radios as off, and WiFi scanner also showed them as off.

Rebooting restored normal operation. Wifi scanner confirms transmissions.

Any suggestions? why do both radios shut down?

I've attached a debug log, this was after the reboot though (if I had remembered I should have taken one before the reboot - maybe next time).

The debug file is a zip file (but the forum doesn't allow attaching zips) so just rename it debug-log.zip.

Message 109 of 170
K-Wire
Aspirant

I have just purchased 2 brand new R9000 because I was so impressed with my old EX7000 of which I had purchased about 6.

Both have been playing up and dropping out almost every day. Sometimes unable to connect for hours. Have to reboot

Have attempted

i. Downgrading firmware all the down way to 1.0.1.36

ii. Resetting Factory Settings each time

iii. Changing units with EX7000

iv. Solely using 2.4 only or 5 only

v. changed it to Router mode, AP mode and Bridge mode. All of which fail

Something is wrong with the wireless for the R9000... I bought a AC5400 Linksys and it has been blazing flast. Can you please help !

I have placed the old EX7000 back in place just to make sure things are solely from the R9000. 

Rather than go through what every person has gone through on the forum I would just like to exchange them for the R8000. By all accounts the problems disappear. I have spent too long trying to get these to work well in my home

Message 110 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Spam Alert above. 

Message 111 of 170
K-Wire
Aspirant

Me spam?
Message 112 of 170
yodogyodog
Aspirant

I have only limited experience with the factory netgear firmware.  

I have since installed a firmware called DD-WRT made by BrainSlayer, and the latest revisions of this firmware are in my opinion faster than the netgear firmware's as far as latency/response time is concerned.  As far as total maximum throughput, many say the factory netgear firmware is better.  

One thing I don't have is all your random uncalled for wifi network drop outs.  With the DD-WRT firmware, the latest one from brainslayer, version or revision 33679 that was posted on 11-4-2017 for the R9000 (as the creator of all the DD-WRT firmwares actually has an R9000 and semi gives a damn about this particular model), it has been pretty fast and very very reliable.  Anyways not sure if I'm allowed to even talk about that here but for real though, give it a shot.  Just make sure you flash it correctly to DD-WRT and if you ever switch back, flash it correctly back, and in my honest opinion, doing this is COMPLETELY HARMLESS (if done correctly).  You'll need a telnet type software like PuTTy as part of your update process if you truly want to do it correctly just an FYI.  If someone tells you otherwise, well you may be doing it right, but not the cleanest/safest/full circle way that you're supposed to if and when you flash to a "open source" firmware like DD-WRT.

Message 113 of 170
K-Wire
Aspirant

Thanks mate.. the dd-wrt worked like a treat. The menus are very complex however and I've just left it alone. I don't know how o get my USB drive to connect with it. . The settings are currently included in the screenshot and I am using a Mac. Any tips would be great. Once again thanks for the heads up on the wrt.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 114 of 170
bkfoster
Aspirant

There is definitely something wrong with this router. I am also one who had the r8000 and I upgraded earlier this week to the r9000 after having the r8000 for 2-3 years. So far this week, it has been disconnecting all wifi (2g & 5g) several times a day. My Apple TV 4K will alert me each time it disconnects and watching a movie the night before last (2 hour movie) it showed 6 disconnections. I am a broadcaster for a living and today we broadcast an 8 hour conference. I monitor the broadcasts here and I was bounced off the router 5-6 times in that 8 hours, including twice just typing up this message.

I have firmware version 1.0.2.40 (it did a firmware update when it arrived on Monday from Amazon.) Netgear needs to troubleshoot the situation and find a solution for everyone. This is quite obviously an issue that is spread wide enough that multiple people are experiencing the same thing.

My internet provider is Spectrum, I have 22-24 devices connected at any given time, and this router is in the exact same place as the previous router that didn't experience these issues.

Message 115 of 170
JamesGL
Master

Hi bkfoster,

Change channel of your wireless network.

Reset and reconfigure the router.

Message 116 of 170
KristinaS
Apprentice

try voxels fw. i have three ng's models r7000, r7800, r9000 and use voxels fw with two of them [r9000]. plex is working with this fw and no drops.tried ddwrt but no plex.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-2-45hf-1-0-2-45hf-hw.41820/

Message 117 of 170
bkfoster
Aspirant

Change the channel on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz radios? Both are disconnecting everything and both are using the exact same channels as the r8000 this was to replace.

Message 118 of 170
tbla7034
Aspirant

I am having same issues, Any resolution??

Message 119 of 170
KristinaS
Apprentice

@tbla7034 wrote:

I am having same issues, Any resolution??

while clever men are feeling troubles with their hw and are ignoring advice of stupid  girl she is using the same hw without any problems like dropping connection. why nobody wants just to try alternative such as voxels fw. it is the same stock even with workable plex and other features but with bug corrections. you even do not need to reconfigure your r9000. do you prefer to wait for ng who releases their stock two or three times  during year and write angry messages instead of saving you yourself. latest stock was released in july ha-ha. ng support is good _only_ to replace your broken unit but their fw is dreadful. at least one guy who was not so afraid to follow my advice with r7800 was happy. continue your waiting miracles happens ha-ha.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-Readyshare-not-enough-space/m-p/142844...

Message 120 of 170
DardL
Aspirant

Got offered a replacement when my X6 didn't work after 6 long months. Never wanted such a crappy designed router again, stupid as I am I accepted to pay a little more for a X10. Same problems here. Never had problems with any other routers ever.

Message 121 of 170
focuspuller
Guide

I asked Santa for a better router.....(not a Netgear)....hope he comes through.

I'll just dump the R9000 as a bad choice and eat the $$$...Will never buy another Netgear product.

If a third party can fix the firmware why can't the makers of the product do the same?

Message 122 of 170
Paul7448
Aspirant

I just hooked up my r9000 today, and found this forum because of the same dropping issue.  Glad I found this and see NG doesn’t want to address it.  Plenty of time for me to return it.  Thanks everyone.

Message 123 of 170
lbotez
Tutor

So I was having trouble with my R8000; so I bought the R9000 from Best Buy ...  was $450 and once I figured out the problem and returned it...  however, on Cyber Monday they had a great sale at Staples ($279.99); so I bought it again.

The first R9000 didn't seem to have any problems. However, the second one from Staples seems to have this drop-off problem.  I just finished resetting it.

One thing that was interesting, however. The one from Best Buy was newer.  The packaging is slightly different. It listed more things on it. While similar looking, the first one from Best Buy seems to be the newer one.  It mentions Quad-Stream MU-MIMO AC while the other doesn't. There are also small changes on all sides of the box.

So I'm wondering if they actually revamped the hardware on this router too.  The other R9000 didn't exhibit any dropout, though to be honest I only used it for about 24 hours. Once my R8000 worked again, I didn't think it was worth all that extra money.

However, I changed my mind when it was $279.

I'll see if the dropping is gone in the next few days.  The speed is really nice on the router, much faster than the R8000. However, drop out is unacceptable.

One other thing I noticed was that the wi-fi dropping started when I applied Q of S and then changed the channel for the 2.4gb network.  It disappeared from the list of wi-fi networks for awhile. Then showed up again later. But the random shutdown of our network 4X after that didn't help my like this router much. So I reset the router, didn't turn on Q of S, and left the low speed channel alone (even though there were 2 other nearby routers already on that channel)... don't use that one much anyway.

Oh, and I'm using the latest firmware: V10.2.40

Message 124 of 170
focuspuller
Guide

A $1.00 is too much for this piece of junk....Can't wait for Santa to replace mine.

Message 125 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7