Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Firmware

ninja66
Follower

Nighthawk Firmware

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. My old ASUS router started to fail so I decided to purchase the Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 C6300V2. I'm starting to think it was a mistake after just one day. All I get is finger pointing from Netgear and COX (my ISP). Who in the heck is supposed to update my firmware because Netgear obviously doesn't allow the user to anymore.

What I have done:

I have installed the Netgear Genie which tells me my firmware is up to date (it's not) and no option to update. Useless.

I have installed the Nighthawk App, which 'tells me' that my firmware is out of date but to go to routerlogin.com to update. Useless.

After going to routerlogin.com, again, there IS NO OPTION to update your firmware or router. Useless.

I contacted support to ask to update my firmware, they stated, "It's your ISP's job to push the firmware update to your router." Finger pointing and guess what happened when I contacted COX to update my firmware? "It's Netgear's job and that's misinformation." Useless.

What do I have to do to have my firmware updated! I have read a bunch of articles and went through the community and it all gets me back to the same answers that get me nowhere. Without control and the inability to manage my router, I'm thinking that this device's days are limited. It's funtioning but is constantly dropping signal and not performing as expected. I'm sincerely lost at this point.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: Nighthawk Firmware

if you buy a router-modem (gateway) and your ISP supports it, it's the ISP that does the updates (if ever)

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Firmware

The app has an issue where it tells you you're not up to date. 

Per the docsis spec, the ISP needs to update the router. The manufacturer (netgear) sends the update file to the ISP. Its up to the ISP to certify and push it out to devices for their service. 

Problem is that it costs the ISP money to certify it. So they rarely do. Meaning it doesn't get pushed out to home users from the ISP. 

In effect, they ultimately control the firmware on those devices. 

Its one of the main reasons you'll find us recommending routers seperate from the modems on the forums. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series