Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk M1(MR1100)/Nighthawk R8500 - Double NAT

BECHAYE
Initiate

Nighthawk M1(MR1100)/Nighthawk R8500 - Double NAT

Hello,

I have these two routers: M1 through Telstra + R8500 (Setup in my office as the main router). At the moment, the M1 is connected to the internet port in the R8500 to enable access to the internet.

The M1 is on a business plan and is using telstra's extranet. I have a public IP allocated to it already. I was hoping to carry through the public IP into the network for the purpose of accessing a device on the network remotely (CCTV). I want the 8500 to be the main router that directs all traffic because I figure it is better built for that purpose and has better security features which I want to use. 

I've tried configuring port forwarding on the 8500 to get through to the device but I cannot. I also cannot get a ping response from outside the network when I try to ping the public IP. I get a response from inside the network though with the same excercise.

I've been reading around and the problem seems to be a double NAT issue which I gathered is a common problem. I've tried disabling DHCP on the M1 and plugging that into the 8500's network ports unsuccessfully.  I'm aware that Bridge mode is also not available in the current firmware for the M1. 

Have I understood the problem correctly here or am I misinterpreting the issue?

If the problem is as I have described, do I have any other options here to configure these two routers in the manner that I am requesting to achieve the result that i'm looking for?

If not and I have to wait for Bridge Mode in an upcoming firmware release. When is this release scheduled to occurr?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kind Regards,

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk M1(MR1100)/Nighthawk R8500 - Double NAT

Double NAT is your problem.  You have two options.

Use Port Forwarding

You have to set up port forwarding on both routers.  On the M1, forward the port to the Nighthawk's WAN IP address.  On the Nighthawk, forward the same port to the IP address of the device you want to access remotely.

Convert the Nighthawk to an Access Point

On the Nighthawk, go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and enable AP Mode.  This will disable the router, firewall and NAT functions on the Nighthawk.  Your M1 will become the main router.  This is the better option unless there is a specific security feature exclusive to the Nighthawk that you want to use.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Double NAT is your problem.  You have two options.

Use Port Forwarding

You have to set up port forwarding on both routers.  On the M1, forward the port to the Nighthawk's WAN IP address.  On the Nighthawk, forward the same port to the IP address of the device you want to access remotely.

Convert the Nighthawk to an Access Point

On the Nighthawk, go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and enable AP Mode.  This will disable the router, firewall and NAT functions on the Nighthawk.  Your M1 will become the main router.  This is the better option unless there is a specific security feature exclusive to the Nighthawk that you want to use.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The modem/router needs to be bridged fully and then use the NG router and the main router, or if the modem/router can't be bridged, use it's DMZ feature for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem/router on it's WAN port. 

You have a double NAT condition which will give strict or moderat NAT status on game consoles and in games. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/I-have-strict-NAT-type-with-a-wired-connecti...

Message 3 of 5
BECHAYE
Initiate

I resolved this issue using a combination of both responses to this post.

I enabled DMZ on the M1 using the WAN IP of the Nighthawk and I also confiugured port forwarding on both routers in the suggested manner.

Thanks for your help, it saved me alot of time.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Just FYI, if you enabled DMZ on the main host router, you don't really need to configure PF rules on the 2nd one. However if it works well for you, enjoy. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7