Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700 w/ very slow Wi-Fi speeds

webegaming88
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700 w/ very slow Wi-Fi speeds

Hey there, I recently hooked my old router back up as I had decided to ditch my ISP (Imon Communications) provided modem an Arris TG3452 which has frequent latency spikes. Affected by the notorious Puma 6 chipset defects. I also had Imon's "Whole home Wi-fi Router" which is intended for use with network access points for larger homes, which I ended up not needing, but I disabled the modems Wi-Fi and used the additional routers Wi-fi instead as it was Wi-fi 6 and had better range. Was fine but returned anyways, knowing I had my own. I now have an Arris SB8200 modem, found to not exhibit this issue from what I have read. Got the Modem provisioned, and the rep proceeds to tell me I cannot use this Modem with my currently subscribed speeds of 300mb. I decide to take the forced downgrade to 100mb and return all of their equipment in protest. This is a separate issue that I am working with them. Evidently 300mb is new to my area but I don't understand why they wouldn't allow me to use the Modem that they approved for provisioning BUT for only 100mb.  

Now to my router, AC1750 R6700, I haven't used it for some time but its isn't ancient by any means, marketed speeds of up to 1700+ so I thought this will be fine paired with my new modem (which has no Wi-Fi). Initially things are good, speed tested the hardwired connection and was getting the speeds I am now paying for roughly 100mb ok fine. I log into the GUI to update the SSID's and passwords, and see a firmware update is available, so I thought oh, it would be smart to go ahead and update the firmware, right? So, I did.

I find my old port forwarding setup for Call of Duty still in place, so I have an open NAT and good latency. (This was the reason I even went down this rabbit hole, bad latency and moderate NAT with my ISP equipment) Later I go to watch TV and I am getting bad resolution and buffering; I do a speed test on the Wi-Fi and I and getting less than 10mb download with bad latency and jitter. I immediately go upstairs and test it again right by the router to rule out range as an issue, same result. I restart the router, get an increase to around 20mb download, with horrid latency and jitter. I should mention my hardline connection from PC, directly to the router is un-affected by these issues. The modem is a good 18-24 inches from the router, but it doesn't have Wi-Fi anyways. It is near against an exterior wall, but I am limited where I can place it. I will attempt to re-locate it if need be. 

I did find an article on the matter and made sure to disable all the QoS features mentioned, and none were on. The "Access control" is one I am not sure of; I don't remember seeing that. I will check again after work. I also adjusted the channels and rebooted no improvement. Best solution here? Is factory reset necessary, or not? Is the router bad? (Doubt this) 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6700 w/ very slow Wi-Fi speeds

The ISP needs to check the quality of the ISP signal service and cable line up to there modem. They should review all logs and diagnostics on the line and the modem for signal line issues. They are responsible for any and all issues up to the modem. 

Review and post for help and information on the Arris support forums there regarding there product. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Ensure the firmware on the router is up to date. 

Message 2 of 4
webegaming88
Aspirant

Thank you for responding! I did update my firmware (I have read that may be the issue) It isn't the signal either; my connection was good hardwired from the router from my PC. Got the speeds I expected. Just Wi-Fi was awful. I am using Cat 5e which is more than enough for 100mbps or even now I went up to 300mbps. I ditched my own modem in order to get my speed upgraded back to 300 with ISP equipment. I adjusted my firewall to get an open NAT in games, so I don't NEED to use my own router at this point. Especially if I am stuck paying for a rental anyways which is a whole other issue. Using an Arris TG9452 vs the prior TG3452 which evidently contains a defective intel Puma 6 or now 7 I imagine and was causing me high latency spikes. Then I find out the TG9452 is prone to random resets. BUT at least as far as I can tell does not contain one of those defective chipsets, and the connections is good so far. I just can't win in the internet department here. What an annoying week. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Arris TG model modems have built in routers all ready.  This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended if you use the R6700 with it. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option #1 first as I believe the TG supports full bridge or modem only mode, if you want to use the R6700 router in router mode. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7