Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Firmware V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 Update Failure - White Flashing Power Light

BlueFox1971
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Firmware V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 Update Failure - White Flashing Power Light

I decided to update the firmware on my R7000 WiFi Router this afternoon while the family was out and since it had been running a little sluggish.

I stupidly did this through the Nighthawk App on my phone. I realise now that this was a mistake after reading some other posts on here. After a few minutes of the App working away it said that the firmware had failed to load. I went to the router to see if I could get it to update properly from the web interface but it wasn't responding to the attached computer, so I did a reboot on it. The router doesn't seem to want to repond to anything after that. It turns on and all the lights go on per usual but then they turn back off again with the exception of the white flashing power light and flashing lights of the LAN ports with devices attached. Nothing else seems to be working.

I have since also tried to do a reset, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried holding the reset button for 7 seconds, 30 seconds and even even longer all with the modem on and also with it initially off and the then being turned on while the reset button is pressed.

I have also tried the TFTP2 method as outlined in How-to-resolve-amber-LEDs-or-a-blinking-power-LED-on-NETGEAR-routers, but nothing seems to be working. It does get the ping to the router when I have set the Static IP as suggested but it always keep failing to get a response from the router while running the TFTP2. I have done this many times as was suggested by another post Nighthawk-R7000-keeps-restarting-after-firmware-upgrade.

Unfortunately the router is out of warranty.

Is there anything I can do to salvage the router or is it time to go and buy another one, even though this one is probably only a couple of years old?

The computer attached to the router is a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Firmware V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 Update Failure - White Flashing Power Light

> [...] I have also tried the TFTP2 method [...]

That's too terse a description of a multi-step procedure with
multiple variables.  And there's probably no real need to download
any program.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
shamarin
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Firmware V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 Update Failure - White Flashing Power Light

A newer FW is available 1.0.9.58

Message 2 of 7
BlueFox1971
Aspirant

I had noticed that, but when I follow the link provided by Netgear for 1.0.9.58 I get an error and so I went to the next best one to download to try and install via the TFTP2 method which still did not work.

I am currently having to use WiFi from my phone to the computer to get the downloads onto it to try and update the router.

Message 3 of 7
shamarin
Virtuoso

It should be available via router GUI updater.

Message 4 of 7
BlueFox1971
Aspirant

I can't get into the router GUI updater as the router is not responding.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I am trying to access it via http://192.168.1.1/ or is that not the way to the GUI?

Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have also tried the TFTP2 method [...]

That's too terse a description of a multi-step procedure with
multiple variables.  And there's probably no real need to download
any program.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

Message 6 of 7
BlueFox1971
Aspirant

Ok, so I have since gone and used the Windows TFTP Client as outlined in:

How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

This has done the job and I have managed to get the router to work again. Thank you to all.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7