Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000P speeds extremely slow

ScottGrigsby
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000P speeds extremely slow

For a while now my internet speeds over WiFi have been extremely slow. I’m paying for 400mb/s through Spectrum. On average my DL speed from my ISP’s modem to my Nighthawk averages about 225mb/s while my UL speed is about 20mb/s per the Nighthawk app. On the other hand, while testing my internet speed over WiFi with my iPhone about 3 feet away from the router I am getting at least tonight on average less than 1mb/s while connected to 5G WiFi (50mb/s over LTE not connected to WiFi).

This is getting ridiculous, what do I need to do to fix this? This is supposed to be a “top” WiFi router that is putting out less than 1 mb/s.

Also, I am trying to attach a screenshot, but it won’t let me.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nighthawk R7000P speeds extremely slow

@ScottGrigsby wrote:
When I connected my laptop to my ISP modem I, on average, received 300mb/s DL and 22mb/s UL.

When I connected my laptop to my Nighthawk router via Ethernet I received, on average, 250mb/s DL and 20mb/s upload.

So, the ISP is shortchanging you.

Your router is also stealing more speed than it should. Try the usual moves of disabling QoS, traffic metering and so on.

I assume that you used the same speed test for both of those.

@ScottGrigsby wrote:

When I connected my laptop to my Nighthawk over WiFi I received, on average, 75mb/s DL and 20mb/s UL.

The wifi could be down to lots of things. It could be that this is all the wifi can handle. Unlikely, but hard to troubleshoot.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 8
ScottGrigsby
Tutor

Firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

The modem is through Spectrum. Ubee E31U2V1. There is only 1 LAN port, which I use to connect the modem to my Nighthawk.

Also, if it helps, I’ve been trying to check speeds using my PlayStation 4. I “should” be receiving 400mb/s through Spectrum, while over WiFi, according to my PS4, I receive ~40mb/s DL and ~5mb/s UL. I just plugged my PS4 directly into LAN1 via Ethernet cable and the last speed test I ran came back with 49.3mb/s DL and 3.7mb/s UL, so I have no difference from having it connected via WiFi or Ethernet.
Message 3 of 8

@ScottGrigsby wrote:

The modem is through Spectrum. Ubee E31U2V1. There is only 1 LAN port, which I use to connect the modem to my Nighthawk.

Great. Looks like a plain modem. No router bit to get in the way.

Latest firmware too on the R7000P.

... I’ve been trying to check speeds using my PlayStation 4. I “should” be receiving 400mb/s through Spectrum, while over WiFi, according to my PS4, I receive ~40mb/s DL and ~5mb/s UL.

Probably the worst way to measure speeds.  Wifi speeds are down to the wifi clients you test with.

The only reliable speed measurement is with a wired connection and on a browser that gets at one of the recognised speed tests.

To rule out router issues, you should do a wired speed tests directly into the modem. Only then can you rule out stuff going on downstream.

You are paying for 400 Mbps. You should see at least that out of the Ubee E31U2V1. If you don't, then chase Spectrum.

Then connect the router and test the wired speed. There too you should see near on 400 Mbps. 

Only then can you start troubleshooting wifi speeds. They depend on all manner of things.

Message 4 of 8
ScottGrigsby
Tutor

So, I ran a bunch of speed tests, four tests for each method using the same sources; Laptop to modem, modem to router to laptop, and laptop to router via WiFi.

When I connected my laptop to my ISP modem I, on average, received 300mb/s DL and 22mb/s UL.

When I connected my laptop to my Nighthawk router via Ethernet I received, on average, 250mb/s DL and 20mb/s upload.

When I connected my laptop to my Nighthawk over WiFi I received, on average, 75mb/s DL and 20mb/s UL.

Where I stand now is I am going to reach out to my ISP to figure out why I am receiving about 100mb/s less DL than I am paying for, though I think my final question, Mr. Kenward, is there any way I can increase my DL speed on my devices over WiFi, or is an average of 75mb/s considered “normal” speeds for a device connected over WiFi?
Message 5 of 8

@ScottGrigsby wrote:

So, the ISP is shortchanging you.

Your router is also stealing more speed than it should. Try the usual moves of disabling QoS, traffic metering and so on.

I assume that you used the same speed test for both of those.

@ScottGrigsby wrote:

The wifi could be down to lots of things. It could be that this is all the wifi can handle. Unlikely, but hard to troubleshoot.

Message 6 of 8

So, i've had two AC2300 R7000P for about nine months now. two becuase i have wifi signal was weak in places i needed it with only one. When i orginally signed up with Xfinity/Comcast i purchased the 1Gbps package and installed these routers around the house. They have always maxed out at 250-270 Gbps. For the longest time, i kept blaming xfinity and after several modem changes on their end, etc. i was able to see that i'm getting 1 Gbps through their modem.  So there is some issue passing through this particular router model. Just to prove myself, i recently purchased the Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 Wi-fi 6 Router. The difference is amazing. Even with a weak Wi-fi signal to that router i'm getting 850 - 950 Mbps on all testing platforms i find. I've even moved this router to the lines the others ones are on and same thing. Older routers capped at 250-270, new router "smoking". Netgear really needs to look into this. Customers paid a lot of money for the AC2300 R7000P and not getting advertised performance. I've tried everything from downgrading the firmware, to changing cables to 1000 reboots in varying sequences to the Xfinity system and honestly i shouldn't have to do that. I do like the netgear products but feel like i should be allowd to get nice credits on my purchases so i can upgrade them to what i just purchased. I'm not tech savy enough to know the underlying differences between the AC2300 R7000P and the AX8 AX6000 other than it cost me a lot more $$$$ and the performance is like day vs. night.

Message 7 of 8

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

@jmcarpenter25 wrote:

So, i've had two AC2300 R7000P for about nine months now. two becuase i have wifi signal was weak in places i needed it with only one.

The setup you describe – two routers on one network – raises many issues and could explain your problems.

But this is not the place to go into them.

If you do start your own question, try making it easier to read. A few paragraphs help rather than solid slabs of text. I have a limited attention span.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7