Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000P, to stream movies/Apps, I need to shut on/off this two to three times daily!

NettyJim17
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000P, to stream movies/Apps, I need to shut on/off this two to three times daily!

SUBJECT : Nighthawk R7000P, to stream movies/Apps, need to shut on/off two to three times daily!!

Last June of 2020, I replaced my ARRIS Motorola router with my current Netgear Nighthawk  R7000P. With Spectrum internet, I am on their 30 Mbps data plan. I hardwired using Cat6 Ethernet cables, from my Nighthawk directly into each of the two TV'S. With 30 Mbps, Spectrum tells me I can use up to five devices, at a time, but usually, it's either my netflix, or Prime, and seldom is my android connected to same network, so basically, my Smart TV.   

Since my hardware is still good only until June of this year, 2021, Netgear DOES NOT OFFER any other support, in case I run into issues, and besides their ricdiculous hour to two hour wait times, I have no phone, no email, and no chat support, whatsoever, which absoulutely sucks, after paying netgear close to $175.00!!!

Spectrym told me today, that it's not a very good practice, or good for the router, to be forced to power on, power off my router, everytime I want to steam a network app. With my TV's both hardwired, why do I also need to sign onto my WI-FI?   

I might need to update the firmware on my netgear, but ran into problems trying to update my EX6100 Extender. Ive downloaded the latest version, but need to find out how to upgrade to, 1.3.2.134 version.

My router is powered on 24/7, but at times, whenever I start watching netflix, or another network app, I get the streaming problems, and I get freezing issues, and very slow response from the remote, then, I'm dead in the water, UNTIL, i have to go back into my router, shut off, or disconnect cable, wait a few minutes, then have to go into network settings, sign into my Wi-Fi network settings, then also sign into my WIRED connection, then I am able to watch another movie or two, before this happens all over again.  Although I have 30 Mbps, My speed test shows DOWNLOADS @ 35.16 Mbps/ UPLOADS @ 4.69 Mbps, Ping @ 11 MS.  

If anyone with the same model is also experiencing, or have experienced, having to also, power on, power off the Nighthawk router two to three times daily, what was, or what could be causing this? 

To be clear, when someone streams a movie on their smart TV'S, do they need BOTH the WIFI and, HARDWIRED connection, or should it only be one or the other?  

Everyone keeps telling me that doing this every day can cause problems with this router, IF SO, what the heck can I do to fix this, since Netgear does not care at all, about their customers, once they get their money?  Not even one year old, and I can not contact support!!!  This is BS! 

Had I known about the one to two hour wait times, calling Pakistan, or the Phillipines, even though, they have one office in San Jose, Cal. then have difficulty trying to undersatnd their broken english, I never would have bought this router, and will never buy another netgear product knowing, what I know now!    What makes this router so great?

Spectrum has referred my issue to netgear, but I'm not about to call and wait two or more hours, only to be told, there is not any support for my router, at all!

Thank You for any and all responses!

Message 1 of 5

Re: Nighthawk R7000P, to stream movies/Apps, I need to shut on/off this two to three times daily!

Can you boil that long saga down to a brief description of the problem you have? Stick to technical issues.

Is this it?

@NettyJim17 wrote:

SUBJECT : Nighthawk R7000P, to stream movies/Apps, need to shut on/off two to three times daily!!

Why do you think you have to turn the router on/off? You see some symptom or other?

@NettyJim17 wrote:

To be clear, when someone streams a movie on their smart TV'S, do they need BOTH the WIFI and, HARDWIRED connection....?

No.

One or the other, preferably the wired connection. It is more reliable and almost certainly faster.

@NettyJim17 wrote:

I might need to update the firmware on my netgear, but ran into problems trying to update my EX6100 Extender. Ive downloaded the latest version, but need to find out how to upgrade to, 1.3.2.134 version.

Not sure that I understand that. What has the firmware for the R7000P got to do with your EX6100?

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 5
NettyJim17
Aspirant

Hi,

I can not simplify my issue, to understand, I truly need to explain. I am NOT talking about my EXT6100 Extender, I am talking about my Nighthawk R7000P, and after watching a few network apps, or streaming movies, the signal starts buffering, slowing down, the remote is not responsive, then I have to refresh my wired/WiFi signal by and powering the router OFF.  I wait for a few minutes, then power back on

on, then I need to go to TV's menu, click on Wifi and Internet settings, and click on my network (SSID) it does not work, so then I need to clock on WIRED, click CONNECT, and then I am able to continue watching my movies.   My data plan gives me 30Mbps, my speed states I am downloading @35.16mbps.  You, or someone mentioned I do not need to click on BOTH Wifi SSID, and WIRED, but this is why, I need to get into my Router settings.

I getting looped into having to answer my two questions, over and over, so I tried to do a hardware reset, puched in the RESET on back of router, went into my Router login.net, asks for my S/N,then my email, and password, then those two questions again!

Then I tried to do a Software reset, and again, it asks me for my two answers. I thought by resetting the router, this info, would be erased.

At this point, all I want to do is to factory reset, and start all over again.

This all happened when I was on my Nighthawk mobile, and turned off my 2G network, to see if I could turn it on again, but now, these problems.

Thank You!

Message 3 of 5
NettyJim17
Aspirant

You said, "One or the other, preferably the wired connection. It is more reliable and almost certainly faster."   This was why I need to see if any router settings are misconfigured. if I choose WIRED CONNECTION, an error pops up telling me,  "FAILED, I am connected to the Internet, but not to my network."

trust me, the only way I can get to the internet to watch a darn streaming Youtube, or Netflix, I need to go into my Internet Settings, then I need to DO BOTH, (WIRED AND WIFI)  in order for this to work.   Spectrum said they are not to blame, that my router must be configured properly, and if you tell me that I do not need BOTH WIRED and WIFI, then it must be my router settings. 

But I can not get beyond those two nagging questions like which netgear product did you buy?  EXT6100, then another only answer to the second question, and I never changed these, so why does netgear feel the need to change these for me?  

Message 4 of 5

@NettyJim17 wrote:

I getting looped into having to answer my two questions, over and over, so I tried to do a hardware reset, puched in the RESET on back of router, went into my Router login.net, asks for my S/N,then my email, and password, then those two questions again!

Then I tried to do a Software reset, and again, it asks me for my two answers. I thought by resetting the router, this info, would be erased.

At this point, all I want to do is to factory reset, and start all over again.

If you had included that in the first long message, minus the stuff that doesn't matter, you might have received better answers.

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

The fact that you keep getting these messages suggests a messed up configuration at your end. It doesn't help if you just flail around turning things on and off. Instead, go through the set up process methodically.

As you find it hard to explain what is happening there, let's start with the usual basic questions.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series