Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7800 wifi downloads much less than they should be

panthers89
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7800 wifi downloads much less than they should be

Hi. I just recently updgraded Time Warner/Spectrum Internet from 50Mbps to 300Mbps. Purchased new Netgear CM700 modem and connected to my Nighthawk R7800. From router Genie console to modem / from laptop to ethernet to router / from direct connect laptop ethernet to modem, I see speeds of almost 350Mbps download using speedtest.net. Lenovo X220 laptop on 5G wireless sees about 170Mbps download, Xbox one using 5G wireless on network connectivity test sees about 98Mbps on speedtest.net. I've tried the latest firmware and earlier versions of firmware for the Nighthawk. Still not seeing what I'd expect. Wireless signal on devices used are generally 4 bars. Xbox One says 90% signal on network connectivity test and open NAT. Are there any channels that you've tried that perform better? Any specific settings for the Nighthawk that have helped you out or disabling anything that is on by default maybe? It's past the 90 days so I guess I'd have to pay for support to have it RMA'd. Hoping I'm just missing something and could try a few more things. Thanks.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: Nighthawk R7800 wifi downloads much less than they should be

I googled "xbox one max Internet speed" and found out you are getting excellent speed to your XBox 1.  Take a look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3hcbon/xbox_one_connection_speeds_via_wifi/

My step son is getting 100Mbps by hard wiring into my old R7000 that I have set up as a bridge in his room.  The R7000 is supplying 340Mbps to his laptop when it is wired to it.  I have both my main R7900 and bridge R7000 setting up about chin level and about 35~40 feet apart with two walls in between them.

If you want better speed than you currently have you might want to pick up a R7000 or go to COSTCO and pick up a R6900 on sale for $139.99 until 2/28/17.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

If you are on Windows try using "tracert twc.com" and see what the output looks like.  You should be getting less than 100ms on all hops.  Most of mine are in the 30's with a few over 100.

I usually get about 350 over 5G to my laptop but am only getting 240 today for some reason.  Maybe Internet congestion.

I think my stepson has been getting about the same throughput with his PS4 as you are getting with your XBox. 

Have you always been getting this speed or is this something new?  I wonder if you are client restricted and not router restricted?

Message 2 of 7
panthers89
Aspirant

Hey. Thanks for replying, LeeH. Before upgrading my service from 50mbps to 300mbps, my laptop and Xbox One were both downloading in the 40's range. Once I upgraded my service, ethernet connections were 350's. I tried not to assume wireless was going to be as fast. But, my results are underwhelming with under 100 to 150 on my clients. So, I feel like I'm router restricted. I'll try the tracert tonight and let you know. We do have a PS4 also. I could try that too. Any other recommendations are defintely welcome. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 7
LeeH
Prodigy

I was looking at the specs on your Lenovo X220 laptop.  It looks like it didn't come with 5GHz AC wireless when new.  Are you using a USB network adapter for 5GHz?  I know this laptop has USB2 ports.

Message 4 of 7
panthers89
Aspirant

Ah, so maybe I am client limited on that one. Excellent point. It was letting me connect to the 5ghz network so I assumed it supported it. I guess it lets you join but throttles you to what it can support? The Xbox One should be quicker though right? So, 80's and 90's is what you're seeing/expect on your Xbox one?

Message 5 of 7
LeeH
Prodigy

I googled "xbox one max Internet speed" and found out you are getting excellent speed to your XBox 1.  Take a look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3hcbon/xbox_one_connection_speeds_via_wifi/

My step son is getting 100Mbps by hard wiring into my old R7000 that I have set up as a bridge in his room.  The R7000 is supplying 340Mbps to his laptop when it is wired to it.  I have both my main R7900 and bridge R7000 setting up about chin level and about 35~40 feet apart with two walls in between them.

If you want better speed than you currently have you might want to pick up a R7000 or go to COSTCO and pick up a R6900 on sale for $139.99 until 2/28/17.

Message 6 of 7
panthers89
Aspirant

Wow. That's good to know I'm getting what I should then. Learned a few new things today. I really appreciate your help.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7