Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 - SSID is Not Broadcasting

Dadicator
Initiate

Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 - SSID is Not Broadcasting

I have looked high and low for answers:  My Router stop Broadcast the "Second Channel on the 5Ghz Side" - The first channel shows up fine - as does the 2.4Ghz channel.  I do not have Smart Connect turned on - I have done all that has been recomended by Netgear Community - Will Not Broadcast 2nd SSID 5 GHZ Side - This is a Firmware Update Problem - *** It is available to connect too, but you must Set It UP with SSID name an Check Box For it to Connect "Even When Network is Not Broadcasting" ***   Firmware V1.0.4.28_10.1.54   R8000 Router

This may be Related to Microsoft Windows 10 Updates as well - And the New "Virtual Wifi Driver" that may not be Compatible with the Firmware that has some kind of Microsoft Security Updates.   If You Do not Use the Virtual Wifi Adapter - Disable It. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Dadicator
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 - SSID is Not Broadcasting

"Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 - SSID is Not Broadcasting"  ==> First of all - This is a Forum to help convey information about an issue - Not Trying to step on anyones toes here!  Router Firmware is V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 as Stated - Computer is Windows 10 PRO V1803 - I do Use Virtual WIFI & HyperV on my Computer.

My Router was updated from a older version of the firmware when V ' .28 came out. My Windows 10 machine updates as needed. My Region is USA. 
Like I Stated SSID is Not Broadcasting on Second Channel (I did not say it did not work), and YES I can Access it Manually by Typing in the SSID and manually setting up.

The Reason I said that it could possibly be Compatiblity with the firmware and Microsoft Secuity Updates - Is becuase it was working FINE before the update. Most of the Firmware Patches are Security Related, Same is with Microsoft. As to my Reasoning, Deductions, and Trouble shooting - This is based on 40 years of working with computers and Degree and Field Work in System Administration & WAN technolgies dating back to the late 70's. 

I do not have all the answers - I can only relay what I have experienced and what happened to my Computer - This may or may not be the issue with all computers.   ==> The work around would be to Set the WiFi Manually and see if that will work for you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Sorry I am confused here?

@Dadicator wrote:

I have looked high and low for answers:  My Router stop Broadcast the "Second Channel on the 5Ghz Side" - The first channel shows up fine - as does the 2.4Ghz channel.  I do not have Smart Connect turned on - I have done all that has been recomended by Netgear Community - Will Not Broadcast 2nd SSID 5 GHZ Side - This is a Firmware Update Problem - *** It is available to connect too, but you must Set It UP with SSID name an Check Box For it to Connect "Even When Network is Not Broadcasting" ***   Firmware V1.0.4.28_10.1.54   R8000 Router

This may be Related to Microsoft Windows 10 Updates as well - And the New "Virtual Wifi Driver" that may not be Compatible with the Firmware that has some kind of Microsoft Security Updates.   If You Do not Use the Virtual Wifi Adapter - Disable It. 

First, I have an R8000 on the latest .28 f/w and I see all 3 bands and do have Smart Connect OFF. So it isn't most likely a f/w problem per se. I am also running W10 Home V1809 which is the latest, so it might not be a W10 problem? I am NOT running the Virtual Wifi Driver and I've had no problems wired or wireless on this PC (I use both types as I switch often).

"This is a Firmware Update Problem - *** It is available to connect too, but you must Set It UP with SSID name an Check Box For it to Connect "Even When Network is Not Broadcasting" ***   Firmware V1.0.4.28_10.1.54   R8000 Router"

Explain what you mean? A screenshot would really help... take one and post using the BROWSE button on the bottom and it will appear immediately with your response.

Where did you see this also? It isn't in the HELP CENTER nor on both places Wireless can be setup?

Did this EVER show, the 2nd 5Ghz SSID before or is this a new install? I'm assuming and old setup you upgraded but want to be sure?

Also, what REGION do you have set?

Normally the 5-2Ghz band runs on channels 149 to 161 in increments of 4. Do ALL device not see it a specific one? If only one, does that device work in those bands?

Even if you can NOT see the band, most devices allow you to enter an SSID and connect, have you tried that?

" And the New "Virtual Wifi Driver" that may not be Compatible with the Firmware that has some kind of Microsoft Security Updates"

I've Googled this and can't find much that is recent and nothing that is a 100% match? What is your reference to this?

Message 2 of 4
Dadicator
Initiate

"Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 - SSID is Not Broadcasting"  ==> First of all - This is a Forum to help convey information about an issue - Not Trying to step on anyones toes here!  Router Firmware is V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 as Stated - Computer is Windows 10 PRO V1803 - I do Use Virtual WIFI & HyperV on my Computer.

My Router was updated from a older version of the firmware when V ' .28 came out. My Windows 10 machine updates as needed. My Region is USA. 
Like I Stated SSID is Not Broadcasting on Second Channel (I did not say it did not work), and YES I can Access it Manually by Typing in the SSID and manually setting up.

The Reason I said that it could possibly be Compatiblity with the firmware and Microsoft Secuity Updates - Is becuase it was working FINE before the update. Most of the Firmware Patches are Security Related, Same is with Microsoft. As to my Reasoning, Deductions, and Trouble shooting - This is based on 40 years of working with computers and Degree and Field Work in System Administration & WAN technolgies dating back to the late 70's. 

I do not have all the answers - I can only relay what I have experienced and what happened to my Computer - This may or may not be the issue with all computers.   ==> The work around would be to Set the WiFi Manually and see if that will work for you.
Message 3 of 4
Dadspet
Aspirant

Sounds like exactly the same issue I have. I just updated my R8000 to the latest firmware level 1.0.4.28_10.1.54. Before the update I could connect to netgear68-5-2 and after the update i can't connect to it. I tried 1 cell phone, FireHD10 Gen7 and W10 Laptop.. The 5-2 light is Lit on the router. Some of my devices seem to show 5-2 aa not in range?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7