Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 with Spectrum Modem connection speed should be 400mbps but avg 150-190

kathrynb345
Follower

Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 with Spectrum Modem connection speed should be 400mbps but avg 150-190

I have found similar issues on the community, but none of the proposed resolutions work to improve download speeds.

We are paying for Spectrum 400Mbps, increased from 200Mbps hoping it would get better.  Spectrum tech proved on his device around 500mbps was coming through modem.  Please help me find what I'm missing, router isn't that old, and it seems many with R7000 and R8000 have had similiar issues not getting full throughput with ATT and Spectrum - Thanks in Advance!!!

Have tried 

Spectrum modem-> Nighthawk -> desktop wired - avg 190Mbps

Spectrum modem -> desktop wired - avg 120 Mbps

Spectrum modem -> Spectrum router- desktop wired - 420 Mbps!!!

Spectrum modem-> Nighthawk -> laptop wired - avg 190Mbps

Spectrum modem-> laptop wired - avg 120 Mbps

Spectrum modem -> laptop wireless - avg 35-75 Mbps

Turned off Dynamic QoS

Not using the IPv4

Remote 6to4 relay router  is Auto

IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically from ISP
LAN Setup
Router's IPv6 Address On LAN is Autoconfig

Continue to update Firmware as it's available - currently as of Jan 16, 2021
Firmware Version
V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
Whiskeyrich
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 with Spectrum Modem connection speed should be 400mbps but avg 150-190

I have spectrum as well and have the same issues... I have a PC desktop and at the desktop always get good speeds via ping, and via basic web speed text other than spectrum's test webpage.

I have two problems and not sure where the choke point is...  I have a great reduction of speed that seems to drag after the router has been active for a while since I have cycled the modem and router.  I even checked to see if Spectrum is throteling their bandwidth which I have reasearched an they are not.

I also have had a MAJOR issue with 2.4 and 5 drop out randomly with my wifi.  The router also seems to "forget" devices when they are idol for more than a few minutes.  I have a TV that is literally 4 feet vertically from my router and sometimes the 5 will end up so slow it will buffer netflix.  Which again like you I pay for 400 speeds, and this will be the only thing online at that time.

For what it is worth, I run the following in my house:

4 Amazon fire sticks - Never running at the same time

Arlo Cameras - 4 into it's own base station hard wired

1 desktop PC Hardwired

Skybell Doorbell - This for some reason keeps dropping off of 5-  and is always ends up offline

5 google pods

2 tablets

3 laptops

1 iphone 

2 android phones

I have a ton of cross traffic on the channels around me because I live on a corner lot, so I have tried manually setting my channels and this eneded up making things worse.  I have reset the router back to original settings twice, and moved devices around so they are not too 2.4 or 5 heavy.

I have both the drop out and speed issues that seem to be random.  I can say on speed, I have been told that Spectrum tells me that due to people working at home, Cable is based on how many users it has on their pipeline.  I have also been told that the business users get priority.  So the more people the speeds slow enough that you can tell a bit... it should never drop enought that you can't run what you need though.

Hopes some of this is helpful.  I have been fighting Spectrum for years on the speed and connection, but always had a good netgear router, I upgraded to this one and now nothing is working... I am at the point of just cutting my losses and buying an ASUS or Lyncsys.  The ratings are higher they are a better value as well, according to the reviews, the interface is more user friendly and setup is more automated.  I am 6 months into this router and it has been an uphill battle the whole way of trying to configure it and everything has worked for a day or two and then it quits

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7