Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Stopped Broadcasting Signal

jymaillat
Tutor

Nighthawk Stopped Broadcasting Signal

I have a Nighthawk R7000 wifi router linked to an Arris modem (for cable access: internet, TV, phone).  I had four networks (two 2.4GHz and two 5GHz).  And I had two iMacs, two iPads and one printer wirelessly linked to the router through my networks.  Everything worked fine until today when someone doing work in the house unplugged modem and router.  I got TV and phone back very quickly but not internet through the router.  I am able to go on the internet when I connect my iMac directly to the modem (bypassing the router) but not when the modem is connected to the router.  So the problem is not the modem or internet access.  The problem is with the networks not being visible to the other devices. Yet mu iMac picks plenty of other netwroks in the area.  When I go to Netgear Genie, under Basic it shows Internet as Good but Wireless as Off.  Under Netgear Genie Advanced the Router Information and the Internet Port boxes are checked in Green but the four boxes for my networks are checked in red.  I spent hours trying to activate these networks but can't figure out what the problem and the solution might be.  I've rebooted and reset the modem and the router, I updated the firmware, I made sure SSID broadcast is checked, I called the cable company (but everything is OK there).  I went to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless settings as suggested in earlier questions but it says

Enable Wireless Router Radio
(This action is currently disabled until the wireless On/Off button is pressed)

but pressing the wireless on/off button doesn't do anything and the reset button doesn't seem to work (though it worked earlier today)
I looked at the manual but most of the suggestions say to connect the modem and the router by ethernet cable and then to go this or that website ..... the problem is that when I connect router to modem I do not have internet access; the modem only has one ethernet plugin so I have to disconnect the iMac/modem connection (which gives me internet access) to connect the router ... I'm going in circles.  Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem might (and the solution) might be?  It would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jymaillat
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk Stopped Broadcasting Signal

Thank you.  I did that last night before going to bed and this morning all did indeed come back to normal.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

@jymaillat wrote:

Everything worked fine until today when someone doing work in the house unplugged modem and router.  I got TV and phone back very quickly but not internet through the router.  I am able to go on the internet when I connect my iMac directly to the modem (bypassing the router) but not when the modem is connected to the router. 

When the network goers down it is important to restart the whole lot in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

This is important because each bit of the network has to establish its own connection before the next bit can work out how to connect itself.

Message 2 of 5
jymaillat
Tutor

Thank you.  I did that last night before going to bed and this morning all did indeed come back to normal.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the confirmation. It is easy to overlook that, which is why the issue comes up here pretty often. I bet you won't forget next time!

Message 4 of 5
jymaillat
Tutor

I thought I had done it that way yesterday afternoon because I know it has to be done in that order but I obviously must have done something wrong earlier in the day and then did it right when I did again at night !  In any case, thanks for your response.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7