Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk r6700v2 slow ethernet

Tanz64
Tutor

Nighthawk r6700v2 slow ethernet

My Nighthawk R6700V2 seems to be throttling throughput speeds. There was a big storm last night, and during it, there were two loud *pops* and the internet went down, but I still had power. I was able to determine the initial issue was that the modem's ethernet port seemingly got fried. Fortunately, I was able to get an overnight delivery of a new modem, and once it was set up I could connect directly to it from my PC and get speeds around 500 Mbps down. The trouble starts when I go through the router.

The first issue is that it seems to have trouble seeing the modem on the WAN port, it would go through an amber light multiple times before finally connecting (and the Gateway setup would say "no ethernet connected"). Once it is connected, I get the second issue, speed tests show about 90 Mbps down, on both direct ethernet to the router, and on the 5G wifi. I've verified that QoS and Traffic Monitoring are off, I'm on the latest firmware (1.2.0.72), and I've done a factory reset.

I'm increasingly leaning toward the lightning strike that blew out the modem's ethernet port, also damaged the R6700's ethernet port, but didn't kill it. However, before dropping a couple hundred on a new router, I was hoping you all might be able to recommend some additional troubleshooting.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk r6700v2 slow ethernet

A couple things to try. 

1. replace the ethernet cable.

2. reload the firmware on it. If the storm corrupted something in the firmware, a reset doesn't fix it. So reinstall the firmware, factory reset the router, and then manually reinstall it. 

3. If it only fried the 1 port (if it did), theres an option in the debug menu to mirror the wan port to lan port one. 

you go to the routers ip address   192.***.*.*/debug.htm     check off the mirror wan port option. 

If it was only that port that got fried, it might work. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things to try. 

1. replace the ethernet cable.

2. reload the firmware on it. If the storm corrupted something in the firmware, a reset doesn't fix it. So reinstall the firmware, factory reset the router, and then manually reinstall it. 

3. If it only fried the 1 port (if it did), theres an option in the debug menu to mirror the wan port to lan port one. 

you go to the routers ip address   192.***.*.*/debug.htm     check off the mirror wan port option. 

If it was only that port that got fried, it might work. 

Message 2 of 5
Tanz64
Tutor

Thank you! I replaced the ethernet cable, reloaded the firmware, and number 3 was a great tip.

I mirrored the wan to LAN1 which allows my computer connecting through LAN3 to access the internet and get the correct 500-600Mbps down. However, the wireless network is not able to connect to the internet. I suspect the router is still trying to use the WAN port for the wireless connection.

Do you know if it's possible to direct the wireless connection through LAN1 as well? I'm not sure if it's hardcoded in the firmware or if it's accessible through the router settings.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I think the storm might have toasted it. 

Message 4 of 5
Tanz64
Tutor

Agreed. And appreciate all the help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements