Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk won’t connect after reset

Pikapoo
Aspirant

Nighthawk won’t connect after reset

I had to factory reset my nighthawk router so I could change some settings (my dad had bought it originally last year and set up a different password and userid for the router login and he forgot what it was), so I followed the reset steps, but now it’s been 15 minutes and it’s still not connected to my internet? To clarify, all my devices can connect to the router fine, it’s just not connecting to the internet.
Do I need to just contact my ISP at this point to try and update the firmware? I’m in an apartment, this is the only connection I have.
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk won’t connect after reset

who's your isp? 

What modem/gateway are you connecting it to? 

Message 2 of 6
Pikapoo
Aspirant

I have a nighthawk CM1200-100NAS modem and my ISP is cox. I asked if they could help and all they did was reset my modem, which doesn’t really help when the issue is my router.

I tried connecting directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and the internet is working fine.
However, there’s something wrong with the router. I tried to hardline into the router with my pc (nothing else connected) and I can’t even get to routerlogin.net/.com or ping the IP and login there. Sometimes the computer will prompt me to open the start/setup page for the router but it just spins and never actually loads anything, just a blank screen.

I’ve done multiple hard resets of the router and reset the modem a few times too

I tried to do a manual firmware update using tftp but got an error that it can’t read the .chk file that the firmware update is.

I also tried using the nighthawk app on my phone, made sure i had cellular data off, and was only connected to the router, and it STILL wouldn’t let me connect. All settings were correct on my end.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

Message 4 of 6
Pikapoo
Aspirant

Not sure what firmware I have for the router, how would I check that when I can’t get in or view any details?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

A couple things to check. 

1. leave the router disconnected from the modem, then factory reset it. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. then connect a pc/laptop to the router and see if you can access it. 

2. the CM1200 has 4x ethernet ports. But your isp only supp;orts 1 device connected to it. So if you had more than 1 connected, power it and the router off. disconnect the coax from the modem and give it 2 minutes. then connect the coax back to it and power it on. Give it 2 minutes. Then connect port 1 on it to the wan port on the router and power the router on. Give it a couple minutes. Then try to access the router/follow the setup guide. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7