Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No-IP DDNS support 30 day expiration

Dave47
Aspirant

No-IP DDNS support 30 day expiration

I have seen several posts on this site regarding the No-IP DDNS hostname used for VPN functionality expiring after 30 days, but have seen no resolution to the problem. I purchased the X10 R9000 with the understanding (marketing material) that this functionality/support (at least via Netgear, not No-IP) was included as part of the router's price (which is significant). What's the deal? Please provide an answer. Thanks. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Here is the reply to the support ticket raised woth No-IP.com - the name is shortened:

===
Hello Kurt,

My name is K., Product Manager at No-IP. Your ticket has been brought to my attention.

NETGEAR and No-IP have a partnership to provide Free Dynamic DNS service within NETGEAR routers. Currently, hostnames on the mynetgear.com domain are exempt from our Free Dynamic DNS 30 day hostname confirmation policy. After reviewing your account, I do see there is a bug in our UI that incorrectly displays an expiring notice for mynetgear.com hostnames. While there is a bug in the UI, these host are still currently exempt from the 30 day hostname confirmation policy.

The bug has been reported to our developers and we will prioritize the work to ensure the display of the expiration notice matches our current policy with mynetgear.com domains.

To address your second question, your No-IP account is a Free Dynamic DNS account, therefore any hostname in your account including mynetgear.com hostnames count towards your free hostname limit.

Regards,
K. B.
===

This does mean that if we buy and deploy multiple Netgear routers, only three of them can registered to the NETGEAR mynetgear.com DDNS. This is not very correct for the customer, which is not peritted to open multiple No-IP free accounts. Time to talk to Netgear now.

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Neither the NETGEAR (No-IP custom domain) DDNS nor a registration to a paid No-IP will expire. 

The 30 days expiration resp. the requirement to confirm the continuation every ~30 days by email apply to the free No-IP DDNS service only.

Message 2 of 7
Dave47
Aspirant

Schumaku,

Thanks for the reply. Let me make sure I understand.

My xxxx.netgear.com DDNS hostname through No-IP will not expire in 30 days (willl it expire ever?). If it won't expire, any idea why No-IP says it will (looking at my account on their website)? It says it's a free account, if I get an expiration email, should I just ignore it?

Again thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Dave47 wrote:

My xxxx.netgear.com DDNS hostname through No-IP will not expire in 30 days (willl it expire ever?).

There is no renewal required for an active (used) Netgear mynetgear.com DDNS hostname. I don't know of they will run some garbage collection for hostnames not used for a year or more. This is another story.

Quickly checked my No-IP.com dashboard ... and spotted the new Account Management Site ... now I see from where your concern is coming from:

No-IP_com new UI mynetgear_com expiration.PNG

....also the NETGEAR DDNS ones seem to have an expiration here. Played a little bit more on a different account, and it appears the NETGEAR mynetgear.com DDNS entries are counting to the amount of free entries. This tastes like a problem on the No-IP.com side. In my opinion, both are wrong - the mynetgear.com DDNS entries must have no expiration- and not count to the free allowance.

And the old UI does not count the NETGEAR mynetgear.com DDNS host to the quote, while the new one does.

@ElaineM or @JamesGL ... can you pick this problem up to the contract situation between Netgear and No-IP.com please?

@Dave47 ... nice find, thank you on behlaf of the community!

-Kurt

PS. As per How to Setup a NETGEAR Dynamic DNS account? there can be promotional emails which can be unsubscribed. No word of an expiration.

Message 4 of 7
Dave47
Aspirant

Schumaku,

Thanks for looking into this.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Here is the reply to the support ticket raised woth No-IP.com - the name is shortened:

===
Hello Kurt,

My name is K., Product Manager at No-IP. Your ticket has been brought to my attention.

NETGEAR and No-IP have a partnership to provide Free Dynamic DNS service within NETGEAR routers. Currently, hostnames on the mynetgear.com domain are exempt from our Free Dynamic DNS 30 day hostname confirmation policy. After reviewing your account, I do see there is a bug in our UI that incorrectly displays an expiring notice for mynetgear.com hostnames. While there is a bug in the UI, these host are still currently exempt from the 30 day hostname confirmation policy.

The bug has been reported to our developers and we will prioritize the work to ensure the display of the expiration notice matches our current policy with mynetgear.com domains.

To address your second question, your No-IP account is a Free Dynamic DNS account, therefore any hostname in your account including mynetgear.com hostnames count towards your free hostname limit.

Regards,
K. B.
===

This does mean that if we buy and deploy multiple Netgear routers, only three of them can registered to the NETGEAR mynetgear.com DDNS. This is not very correct for the customer, which is not peritted to open multiple No-IP free accounts. Time to talk to Netgear now.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 6 of 7
Dave47
Aspirant

Schumaku,

Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies