Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Packet loss during gaming

Jas0n1
Aspirant

Packet loss during gaming

Hey all.

I'll start off by saying that my knowledge of networking is very poor so I'd appreciate if you could help me in as simple form as possible. 

About close to a year ago I was having significant packet loss issues while gaming across multiple games - all my pings were nice and low (using optic fiber 100/40 connection) but I was experincing constant lags with in game metrics indicating a lot of packet loss.

I tried to modify in game settings, in router settings, calling my ISP multiple times and running speed tests, removig/adding software etc and nothing seemed to help - it was a dead end as my ISP claimed there were no issues on their end and no amount of tinkering seemed to help with pings to local servers as well as the servers I played on indicating no lost packets, low pings etc.

Long story short I ended up calling netgear and without too much in-depth explanation they recommended I roll back my firmware to an older firmware suggesting there were known issues with latency/packet loss during gaming and this particular firmware should be the solution; the firmware by the way is V1.0.4.30_1.1.67.

This has worked like an absolute treat and all my in game latency absolutely disappeared altogether. Along the conversation I think the representitive mentioned that restarts/reboots may be required after a while as it is common to - over time - to develop packet loss (no reason for that was mentioned).

In any case I am back to experiencing packet loss while gaming and I am not sure what I should do - should I try to factory reset here? I tried to turning the router off by unplugging from power for a good minute and turning it back on as well as rebooting it via netgear's genie with no success. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated here.

Jason.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

You should always reset after a firmware flash.  Then reconfigure by hand and NOT from loading a configuration file.  Try running with defaults if that will work for you.  Recommend you reserve all your devices IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Jas0n1
Aspirant

forgot to mention that I am using a wired connection not wireless.

Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Jas0n1,

Please check the latest firmware of R7000.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30695

Message 3 of 6
Jas0n1
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply James.

I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade the firmware last night as the packet loss is quite irritating with no success. It initially seemed to be better with packet loss going back to 0% for the first 2-3 minutes or so but it went back to normal.

At this point I am considering resetting the router - could this be useful at all here?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
LeeH
Prodigy

You should always reset after a firmware flash.  Then reconfigure by hand and NOT from loading a configuration file.  Try running with defaults if that will work for you.  Recommend you reserve all your devices IP addresses.

Message 5 of 6
Jas0n1
Aspirant

Thank you.

Ive done a reset and plugged in the log in details manually and so far so good - all packet loss seems to be gone!

May I ask why this happens in the first place? and is it expect to run a reset every time I experience packet loss?

Thanks again for all the help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7