Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Permission denied when trying to create folders and files on a USB drive using ReadyShare / Sam

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Permission denied when trying to create folders and files on a USB drive using ReadyShare / Samba.

I upgraded my router from a R7000 to a R7800. I used an external USB drive with the R7000 formatted with ext4. Everything worked. The drive is detected and mounted on the R7800 and I can browse and read the content, but I can only write to existing folders and new create new folders using the ReadyCloud web interface. When I try to create new folders from my laptop through smb / Samba I get a permission denied error message and when I try to add files to a folder created with ReadyCloud I get the same permission denied message This regardless of what kind of device I use to connect with, Windows / Linux computer, my phone or a laptop.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot and possibly fix this? If I have to I can back up the data and format the drive again. I am using Voxel's firmware.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Re: Permission denied when trying to create folders and files on a USB drive using ReadyShare / Sam

I figured this one out. I had to hook the drive up to my Linux computer and set permissions for the drive to 777. For some reason the permissions were now 755 for top level while the old folders still had 777. After that was done it all worked again. I have never had problems with USB storage on the R7000 and now it seems to work on the R7800 also. I'm using the ext4 file system.

The Samba server is one of the components that is improved on Voxel's firmware and I see better transfer speeds than I ever saw on the R7000. Thanks guys!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

Was fine until you said you were running non-stock FW.  (which is not neccessarily a bad thing)..  But I have no way to reproduce the behavior. 

A guess.  Yes, move the data, format on the new router and see what you get.

Message 2 of 4
myersw
Master

Like I have said before. IMHO the only way to have reliable network file support is with a dedicated NAS. Always have been and I suspect will continue to have issues with USB file support on a router. Routers are meant to route and support networks NOT all the other garbage such as USB file support that doesn't work reliably if at all. I learned the years ago and things do not seem to have improved.  

Message 3 of 4
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I figured this one out. I had to hook the drive up to my Linux computer and set permissions for the drive to 777. For some reason the permissions were now 755 for top level while the old folders still had 777. After that was done it all worked again. I have never had problems with USB storage on the R7000 and now it seems to work on the R7800 also. I'm using the ext4 file system.

The Samba server is one of the components that is improved on Voxel's firmware and I see better transfer speeds than I ever saw on the R7000. Thanks guys!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7