Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port wont open

stoofing
Aspirant

Port wont open

My ports refuse to open even though before port forwarding worked before without the router. I've had this router for a few weeks now, and when I go to port forward on both my modem, which is an Xfinity modem and my router, the R6900v2 the ports will not open. I've tried opening the ports on both, on each one individually, and a lot more but the port always refuses to open. All I want to do with this is open game servers, and a lot of my friends don't like hamachi and things like it, so port forwarding is one of my only options. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Model: R6900v2|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
stoofing
Aspirant

Re: Port wont open

I had my friends join the server, and they couldn't join. But I did try the test sites a few times without having something use the port so I'll try again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

how did you test that the ports "won't open"? is it in the firmware where it doesn't allow them or did you use a port test site? If the latter, keep in mind that a service needs to be listening on the "open port" so that the test site can detect it and report it's open

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@stoofing wrote:

... and when I go to port forward on both my modem, which is an Xfinity modem and my router, the R6900v2 the ports will not open. I've tried opening the ports on both, on each one individually, and a lot more but the port always refuses to open. ...

Reads like two NAT routers in the data path - the Xfinity modem (also a router typically), and the Netgear router.

A little bit tricky doing the set-up and the port forwarding properly. First you have to ensure the Xfinity does always issue the same WAN/Internet IP to the Netgear router, then do the port forwarding on the Xfinity to the Netgear WAN/Internet IP, and now also the game system on the LAN (which has to be on the same LAN IP always), and then forward the port on the Netgear to that LAN IP.

Message 3 of 5
stoofing
Aspirant

I had my friends join the server, and they couldn't join. But I did try the test sites a few times without having something use the port so I'll try again.

Message 4 of 5
stoofing
Aspirant

So I finally did it, I'm pretty sure I'm stupid, but what I did is ported the port to the router through Xfinity and then ported on the Netgear one and it worked. Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7