Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with router or internet?

wanijkesv
Follower

Problems with router or internet?

I started having random connection problems. My internet has gone down maybe 4-5 times this week alone. This is very rare normally. I have Spectrum and have never had issues, mostly. I pay for 100mbps internet because I’m a gamer, PS5, Xbox, PC, switch. I have two smart TVs, Alexa’s, my iPhone and a tablet and my girlfriend will bring her stuff over occasionally too. I figure this is well enough as most of the stuff isn’t being used at once. I’m starting to think it’s my Netgear Nighthawk R6700v3. How do I tell if it’s faulty? It’s only a little over a year old but every time I try to check for firmware updates on the app it just says “there was a problem checking for firmware”. Does this affect my internet if I don’t update firmware? It was suppose to be easy. I just have no idea if it’s a spectrum thing or my router.

Message 1 of 2
Kitsap
Master

Re: Problems with router or internet?

@wanijkesv wrote:

I started having random connection problems. My internet has gone down maybe 4-5 times this week alone. This is very rare normally. I have Spectrum and have never had issues, mostly. I pay for 100mbps internet because I’m a gamer, PS5, Xbox, PC, switch. I have two smart TVs, Alexa’s, my iPhone and a tablet and my girlfriend will bring her stuff over occasionally too. I figure this is well enough as most of the stuff isn’t being used at once. I’m starting to think it’s my Netgear Nighthawk R6700v3. How do I tell if it’s faulty? It’s only a little over a year old but every time I try to check for firmware updates on the app it just says “there was a problem checking for firmware”. Does this affect my internet if I don’t update firmware? It was suppose to be easy. I just have no idea if it’s a spectrum thing or my router.

Most likely your R6700v3 is not faulty.  What is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT connected upstream of your router?

Log on to the GUI and make a note of the firmware version installed.  Look in the upper right hand corner of the landing page.

Go to the Downloads section above and feed in your model number (r6700v3) and it will take you to the download page.  On the right hand side you can see the current version of the firmware that is available.  As of today it is version 1.0.4.128.  Download the zip file.

Strongly recommend your perform a manual firmware update using a real computer and web browser connected directly to your router via an Ethernet cable.  Detailed instructions available here:  https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router.

If you do not have a computer you can connect to your router via an Ethernet cable, you can connect via Wi-Fi.  There is more of a risk of errors this way.  Avoid firmware updates over mobile devices connected via Wi-Fi.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7