Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 will not connect to internet after firmware upgrade V1.0.1.46_1.0.32

androidsc
Tutor

R6400 will not connect to internet after firmware upgrade V1.0.1.46_1.0.32

Here is the situtation... router has been working fine for many years and firmware upgrades.   A few nights ago got a notice of new firmware.  Downloaded the firmware from the support site and applied to the router.   Upon the reboot, I have an amber internet light and no internet connection.  Here is what I did.... and nothing worked.

1) Restarted the Spectrum modem, yes it is a modem only..

2) Restarted the router

3) Downgraded firmware on router

4) restored factory defaults on router

5) Contacted Spectrum to check modem. Spectrum reported that the ethernet port was flapping (constantly going from 10 to 100 to 1G.. never staying on one speed.

6) Swapped out modem

7) Swapped out router with another one, port flapping stopped and internet was good.

8)Took the R6400 router to another place with different service provider.. same issues.

9) Connected router to a managed switch and saw port flap.  

My question are:  1)What was in the update that could cause this?

2) Is there a way to hard code the port?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
androidsc
Tutor

Re: R6400 will not connect to internet after firmware upgrade V1.0.1.46_1.0.32

To add insult to injury....   went out and bought a new router.  brought it home and had the same problem.   Did a complete reset of my old one again and took it to a DSL house.. works great.. new router works great... Brought some home a Cisco ASA and a Fortinet UTM firewall.  They would not work either.   Back to my new Netgear router, changed the Internet Setup to use Computer MAC address, and it worked.   This got me thinking.. Plugged in a MAC address from an old 3Com NIC, that worked...  Long story short.. Spectrum has created a NAC that will not allow an MAC that is for routers/firewalls to be assigned an IP.  They will allow a spoofed MAC.. very bad security.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Prophat
Initiate

Message 2 of 4
Prophat
Initiate

Hi,
same issue here. Right after the update the R6400 router didn't find any Internet connection. Internet was there though.
Have reseted the router as well but it brought no solution.
After a while I have disconnected all the USBs and wanted to do a power reset and suddenly it was alive again. I really have no clue what happened but it works now!
I was about to explode first. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
androidsc
Tutor

To add insult to injury....   went out and bought a new router.  brought it home and had the same problem.   Did a complete reset of my old one again and took it to a DSL house.. works great.. new router works great... Brought some home a Cisco ASA and a Fortinet UTM firewall.  They would not work either.   Back to my new Netgear router, changed the Internet Setup to use Computer MAC address, and it worked.   This got me thinking.. Plugged in a MAC address from an old 3Com NIC, that worked...  Long story short.. Spectrum has created a NAC that will not allow an MAC that is for routers/firewalls to be assigned an IP.  They will allow a spoofed MAC.. very bad security.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7