Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400v2 not pingable in my network

Eduardo2021
Initiate

R6400v2 not pingable in my network

Dear all,

I have a fritz box that is connected to my internet DSL connection. From my fritz box I have a connection via ethernetcabling to a

R6400v2 wifi router and ethernet connection to a PC.

The network from the fritz box has the subnet e.g.: 192.168.178.XXX

Issue: The PC that is conected via cable to the fritz box can not "ping" the wifi router`s ethernet port.

The R6400v2 wifi router has received via DHCP a correct address 192.168.178.44. The WIFI subnetnet that the router starts has 

192.168.100.XXX. The mobiles that are connected to the wifi router have internet connection over wifi router  --> fritz box.

That works fine.

But, I can not connect from the "fritz box nework (192.168.178.XXX) to the wifi clients (192.168.100.XXX) and also not to the LAN port on the wifi router which is in the same network (192.168.178.XXX).

Is there any kind of security rule implemented that a ping/traceroute gets aborted by the wifi router LAN interface?

My main target is to reach the wific lients from the fritz box network, but I first started to reach the LAN port of the wifi router and if this works fine I can continue with the anaysis I believe.

Many thanks

Best regards

Eduardo

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R6400v2 not pingable in my network

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

For what you're trying to do, I'd use option 3 and put the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 4
Eduardo2021
Initiate

Dear plemans,

thanks for your proposals.

I read the information on the website that you provided for topic 3 and I could read that putting the netgear into AP mode needs also to disable WIFI on my fritz box. This is not possilbe because fritz box is in the celler and there is also need internet.

netgear is under the roof, so ...

I am interested in topic 2, but I do not really understand what you mean with "...put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ...".
Is this a configuration on the fritz box?

Many thanks for some details.

Best regards

Eduardo

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You don't need to disable wifi on the fritz box with option 3. 

You just want to make sure the netgear is using different wireless channels to prevent interference. They usually say turn it off because its easier to tell people that but you can merely change the wifi channels

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7