Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v2 (AC1750) Now limiting connections to 16

Warp929
Aspirant

R6700v2 (AC1750) Now limiting connections to 16

Hello.  I have a R6700v2 (AC1750) which just started limiting Wifi connection on 2.4GHz to 16 connections.  Devices that are capable of 2.4 or 5GHz will connect fine on 5GHz but not on 2.4GHz since 16 devices are already connected.  I have lots of smart switches and other devices in the home. No idea what changed.  Previously, I had about 25 devices connected.

I have power cycled the R6700v2, the cable modem, and many of the devices several times.  Which one is allowed to connect to the router depends on which device boots up first.

My firmware version is V1.2.0.92_1.0.1.

I can't test the limit on 5GHz since I don't have many 5GHz capable devices.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700v2 (AC1750) Now limiting connections to 16

Looks like there was new firmware pushed out in may. did this just start recently? 

Anytime theres an issue after a firmware upgrade, we usually recommend a factory reset. 

did you try that? 
Or try downgrading back a version of firmware? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Looks like there was new firmware pushed out in may. did this just start recently? 

Anytime theres an issue after a firmware upgrade, we usually recommend a factory reset. 

did you try that? 
Or try downgrading back a version of firmware? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 2 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Did you check the DHCP server settings to see how many addresses there are between the starting IP address and ending IP address?

If you want more than 16 devices connected you have to have space in the assignment range.

Should be in the Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup section.

Message 3 of 8
Warp929
Aspirant

It worked fine after the update.  Yesterday we had a 5 minute power outage and then Spectrum (in our area) went down for an hour. Now 20 hours later I still can't get the system to work as it did yesterday morning.

The router is plugged into an uninterruptible power supply which provides power line protection for the router so unlikely (not impossible) that is was damaged.

I have not tried a factory reset since that can be quite time consuming to set everything up again even when reusing the same SSID and password.

Message 4 of 8
Warp929
Aspirant

Thank you for that.  The DHCP start IP is 10.0.0.2 and the ending is 10.0.0.254 so plenty of IPs available for my 25 devices. 

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@Warp929 wrote:

Thank you for that.  The DHCP start IP is 10.0.0.2 and the ending is 10.0.0.254 so plenty of IPs available for my 25 devices. 

Agree, a couple of thoughts.

You may be a little impatient thinking your ISP is fully back and functioning this soon.

Do you have IPv6 enabled?  If not, it should not hurt to do so.  Your ISP may not support it.

Message 6 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@Warp929 wrote:

I have power cycled the R6700v2, the cable modem, and many of the devices several times.  Which one is allowed to connect to the router depends on which device boots up first.

With a number on/off cycles undertaken, it may be time for a sequential restart of your network.

In general you restart your LAN from the outside in.

Power down your modem, disconnect the coax, Ethernet, and power cables.  Let the device set for a few minutes.

Power down your router and disconnect the power cord.

Back to the modem, connect the coax cable and power cord.  Power up the modem and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize. Next connect the Ethernet cable to the router.

At the router, connect the power cord and power up.  Give the router plenty of time to boot and stabilize.

Check your IoT devices.

Message 7 of 8
Warp929
Aspirant

I took the slow and patient approach as Kitsap suggestion but it did not help.  I still had to unplug a smart device to get a different smart device to connect.

I doubt this issue had anything to do with Spectrum because connected devices worked great.  I even tried a laptop connected directly to the modem to be sure.

In the end the solution was to do a factory reset as plemans suggested  Once I got everything configured as it was, all components connected again.  I'm back up to 25.

Thanks everybody for the tips.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7