Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v2 wireless speeds drop quickly after reboot.

d00gy
Aspirant

R6700v2 wireless speeds drop quickly after reboot.

Hello,

I'm having issues with my newish Nighthawk router.  Honestly I don't think it's been quite right since purchased three months ago.  WiFi speeds would drop over the course of a week but now within hours both of my wireless PC's will go from 200+ down to 40 Mbps.  Reboot the router & right back to 200+.  Altho I'm referencing the 5GHz channel the 2.4 is affected as well.

BTW - The PC attached via Ethernet remains constant 290 Mbps. 

Firmware is current V1.2.0.16_1.0.1

performed factory reset

have tried different channels

placed router high & adjusted antenna

there is a dozen or so DoS attacks in the log after each reboot, but my research says that's is normal.

Anymore ideas?

Thank you

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
d00gy
Aspirant

Re: R6700v2 wireless speeds drop quickly after reboot.

Hanging the router has definitely helped, but not near the ceiling.  Hard to imagine the router's position had so much to do with it but hanging the router only a few feet down from the ceiling resulted in a much poorer signal than four feet from the floor.  Also rotating the router 180 degrees (so the antenna face out) resulted in a poor signal.

IMG_0238.JPG

After installing a ASUS PCIe dual band AC1200 network card in the wireless desktop I am now getting roughly the same speed of that on the Ethernet attached PC.  All of the wireless devices get a good signal now & the wireless speeds remain constant throughout the day.

Very happy with this router at this point.

p.s. I did turn off the traffic meter, the logging function too & some of the other tricks suggested here.  However I had tried all that before moving the router to different positions.  Maybe not the logs?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
d00gy
Aspirant

Netgear notified me a week before my 90 warranty was about to end & since my router does appear to be dying I opened a ticket 2 days before the warranty ended.  I took a picture of the screen with the successfully submitted message, a ticket # & note telling me I'll get a confirmation. 

Well, no confirmation nor is there any sign of my ticket in the Netgear database...

Now, one day past 90, Netgear says I'm out of warranty.

This router is listed on Amazon as an R6700 when in fact it is a v2.  That too is a problem.

Message 2 of 6
Watkinsboy3
Aspirant

Hey I’m having the exact same issue, did you ever find a way to fix the issue?
Message 3 of 6
d00gy
Aspirant

No.  I purchased a much more expensive Linksys router.  The Netgear is now in access point mode.  Wi-Fi extender.

Message 4 of 6
d00gy
Aspirant

Hmm... the 3x as expensive Linksys router constantly restarted while printing to USB attached HP Officejet.  Not acceptable.  The Nighthawk has no problems what-so-ever with same printer.  I think the Netgear ReadyShare software is much better than the Linksys USB Control Center software.

I placed the Nighthawk in a plant hanger, so it is just a few feet down from the ceiling.  Getting it up much higher, perhaps away from interference, appears to have helped.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
d00gy
Aspirant

Hanging the router has definitely helped, but not near the ceiling.  Hard to imagine the router's position had so much to do with it but hanging the router only a few feet down from the ceiling resulted in a much poorer signal than four feet from the floor.  Also rotating the router 180 degrees (so the antenna face out) resulted in a poor signal.

IMG_0238.JPG

After installing a ASUS PCIe dual band AC1200 network card in the wireless desktop I am now getting roughly the same speed of that on the Ethernet attached PC.  All of the wireless devices get a good signal now & the wireless speeds remain constant throughout the day.

Very happy with this router at this point.

p.s. I did turn off the traffic meter, the logging function too & some of the other tricks suggested here.  However I had tried all that before moving the router to different positions.  Maybe not the logs?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7