Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 Issues with Stadia

Noeland
Aspirant

R6700v3 Issues with Stadia

Hello all. Thanks for giving this a read. I picked up a NetGear Nighthawk RG700v3 about 7 months ago. I picked it up to stream games on Stadia. I was using a Belkin before that which wasn't fast enough to stream games.

Up until about 2 weeks ago I was streaming games with no serious issues. Occasional lagging, some times the game would stop, but almost always would be fine if I just reloaded it. I played for hours and hours. But, 2 weeks ago I started getting a notice right after the game would start that it might stop because of an unstable connection. The first thing I did was search stadia for advice and it has some. One of them was to use 5ghz if you have a dual band router. Did that. Seems to help for about 5 minutes, then the lag hit and the game became unplayable. Since it started I really can't use Stadia.

Then I hit google and started a long series of things to try and fix it. Nothing worked. Nothing.

Now, I should say I'm not getting any lag on app games I have on the device (or any device) I'm not getting lag on videos, or when I stream movies. All that stuff is fast and smooth and just how you want it. But there is no joy with anything I try to play on Stadia. May run smooth for a short time, but then it just starts lagging. 

When I research this, specifically in terms of my model router, and in terms of this specific issue I get "bufferbloat" which I had never heard of. After researching bufferbloat, well, I don't really seem to have a way to address it through the nighthawk app, or by signing in through my web browser. I'm just not seeing a solution.

Why would it start after 7 months out of the blue? Ultimately I will probably dump stadia, but that's frustrating as I bought games there and enjoy playing them. Just not sure what to do, thought I'd throw it out to the community. Thank you again.

Message 1 of 5

Re: R6700v3 Issues with Stadia

@Noeland wrote:

Hello all. Thanks for giving this a read. I picked up a NetGear Nighthawk RG700v3 about 7 months ago.

I assume that you mean R6700v3 as in the subject. What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 5
Noeland
Aspirant

The firmware is V1.0.4.106_10.0.80

If a firmware update or a hotfix is the issue, is there even a way to fix that?

The modem is from Spectrum. It's just a simple modem with 2 lights on the front with a coaxial and an ethernet port on the back. I can look up the exact model number when I get home this evening. It is absolutely not a router.

I would assume that a lot of people "turn up here" because this community pops up over and over again in google searches for problems with the equipment for this community. A lot of people use netgear. I read several threads from this community before posting.

I understand that they are there for a good reason. I thought I had provided enough information to get some sort of help

Message 3 of 5

@Noeland wrote:

The firmware is V1.0.4.106_10.0.80

If a firmware update or a hotfix is the issue, is there even a way to fix that?

That is out of date. December 2020.

R6700v3 Firmware Version 1.0.4.126 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The modem is from Spectrum. It's just a simple modem with 2 lights on the front with a coaxial and an ethernet port on the back. I can look up the exact model number when I get home this evening. It is absolutely not a router.

Sounds like a basic modem. Many ISPs like to dump modem/routers on customers. They can make it hard to set up a network.

Message 4 of 5
Noeland
Aspirant

Yeah, updating the firmware didn't make any difference whatsoever. I didn't think it would.

However what did happen since updating the firmware on the router is that now I can't log into the nighthawk app. After several failed attempts now, including restarting everything and deleting the app and reloading the app on my phone, well, still won't let me sign in. Just spins those little white circles and goes right back to the sign in screen, then tells me logon has timed out.

That app has been reliable since I loaded it on my phone. Until today, 5 minutes after updating the firmware on the router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7