Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 won't update and frequently loses wifi

GMatwins3
Aspirant

R6700v3 won't update and frequently loses wifi

I have tried many times without success to update firmware using the Nighthawk Netgear App. It fails every time. My present firmware is V1.0.4.106.  Also, I frequently lose internet connection. Help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700v3 won't update and frequently loses wifi

Have you tried manually updating using a pc/laptop? 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

also, when you loose connection, is it to all devices? Just a specific device? Just wireless devices? 

What actual error does it give you? Does it say, "connected, no internet", does it not see wifi at all? What actually happens?

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What fixes the issue? 

Message 2 of 7
GMatwins3
Aspirant

The error message states "There was a problem checking firmware update". No I haven't tried manually.

The connection issues are mainly with cell phones and ipad. It will bbe working. Then at intermittent times, an app with stop working and a message stating, "wifi not working, do I want to turn on celluar data". When this happens I turn wifi off then back on from device and it temporarily corrects problems. Laptops are often slow but not always.

I have BLAST speed wifi, and router is centrally located close to all devices. Motorola modem 

Thank you

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

1. what motorola modem? 

2. it happens only to wireless devices?

3. when you get that message, is it still connected to the wifi? Or does it self disconnect and you're just disabling the wireless on your device then re-enabling

4. Does it happen to all devices?

Message 4 of 7
GMatwins3
Aspirant

First, thank you for continuing to try to help me. I'm sorry I haven't responded in a bit. I haven't been well and very hard to concentrate.

1. Modem - Model MB7621 / DOCSIS 3.0 with 24x8 channel bonding

2. Mostly wireless devices have the problem

3. When I go to "wireless settings", I have not noticed it actually not connected to wifi. Sites or apps will stop working or start spinning as it does when wireless connection is lost. Also, FaceTime freezes or drags. This doesn't happen when same devices are used at another home.

4.It happens on 2 cell phones and an ipad. My laptop is slow, but it is three or four years old

Does this tell you want you are asking? Thank you so much.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Did you try the manual update? 

Try doing that and then doing a factory reset/reinstall of the router. 

Make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled during the reinstall. 

Message 6 of 7
GMatwins3
Aspirant

OK. So I am back. I did update manually, but that did not help my problem. I knew right away. I just haven't been able to get back on here to try to correct. I read I should not have two different network names, and that could cause my problem. Now trying to figure out how to change to one network name. Thank you for the help you have offered

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7