Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900 extremely slow download speeds

Yohimbe
Aspirant

R6900 extremely slow download speeds

The problem I am having is extremely slow download speeds. I pay for verizon 75/75 and I have a quantum router. I set up the netgear router as acess point to provide wifi to a part of the house that's far from the quantum. But the speeds I get with the netgear is <1mbps download while the upload is relatively fine and I don't really care much for upload speeds anyways.

So my set up is the quantum then ethernet from quantum to netgear router and my laptop is connected to the netgear. But both the wired and wireless speeds are the same at <1mbps. I've check with my laptop and my iphone.

I checked speeds on the quantum by itself and I get a range but it's expected and it is close to what I pay for so no problems there. The cables aren't a problem as the wifi is also a problem and I also used the cables to directly connect my laptop to the quantum with perfect speeds.

I have tried resetting, rebooting, disconnecting and reconnecting. The one thing I should note is that once I do all that then reconnect the netgear I get normal or relatively normal download speeds for about 5 minutes before it goes straight back to <1mbps. I have also tried to set the router to regular router mode and access point and still the same issue.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the router itself with some setting or firmware problem. I don't know what to change or how to troubleshoot beyond what I've done. I tried looking through older posts and nothing quite fits my situation. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I should also mention it is updated. Firmware Version V1.0.1.20_1.0.17

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: R6900 extremely slow download speeds

Check the link speed between the quantum and 6900. If the link speed is dropping, then it sounds like a cable issue, irregardless if it works with the laptop. You can also try moving the the Ethernet cable on the 6900 from the WAN to the LAN port, and re-test..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Check the link speed between the quantum and 6900. If the link speed is dropping, then it sounds like a cable issue, irregardless if it works with the laptop. You can also try moving the the Ethernet cable on the 6900 from the WAN to the LAN port, and re-test..

Message 2 of 4
Yohimbe
Aspirant

Thank you, I can't believe that actually worked...I switched the ethernet cord from the WAN to the LAN and everything is working perfectly. How does that fix it?

Message 3 of 4
netwrks
Master

Could be a failing cable, or a cheaper quality. Happy to hear it worked out for you..

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7