Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P 5ghz is fine, 2.4ghz will not show..

amf12
Aspirant

R6900P 5ghz is fine, 2.4ghz will not show..

I've had this router for a while and have never had issues with it. I have a smart home set up with multiple devices that require the 2.4ghz frequency. Recently, only the 5ghz band has allowed anything to connect to it, the 2.4ghz band will not show up. I have called my ISP and they have verified that everything is fine on their end. I log into the router and it shows the 2.4ghz band is fine, but I cannot pick it up and have tried on multiple devices in different locations throughout the house. 

I have tried power cycling the equipment, updating firmware, factory reset of router. Thoughts on what to try next?

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: R6900P 5ghz is fine, 2.4ghz will not show..

First question.  Do you have the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band set with different SSID's?  If not, suggest you name the 5 GHz band with xxxx_5g where xxxx is the SSID for your 2.4 GHz band.

On the group of LED indicators on the front, do both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz show as constant or blinking white?

The attached page snip is from page 12 of the user manual.  The manual is available in the Downloads section above.  Review the description for the 2.4 GHz band.

Message 2 of 4

@amf12 wrote:

....the 2.4ghz band will not show up.

The 2.4 GHz LED is on?

but I cannot pick it up and have tried on multiple devices in different locations throughout the house. 

You don't give us much detail to go on, but my guess is that you are setting up some unnamed IoT things with badly written apps on a mobile device. These apps should be able to set things up when connected to 5 GHz and the IoT things work on 2.4 GHz.

If you don' want to separate the 2.4  GHz and 5 GHz with different SSIDs, you can temporarily turn off the 5 GHz wifi from the R6900P. Connect to the 2.4 GHz, set up the IoT stuff and then turn the 5 GHz wifi back on.

Then complain to the people who wrote the hopeless apps for their IoT stuff.

Message 3 of 4
amf12
Aspirant

I have had these devices on the 2.4 network for a while before this started happening. LED on router shows 2.4 traffic, also showed guest network was active although I had never activated the guest network.

Ultimately ended up getting the MR80 mesh system, plugged and set up. No problems now.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7