Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Cutting my download speed in half.

SpudLord
Guide

R7000 Cutting my download speed in half.

So recently my R7000 router has been cutting my download speed I half. When I run a speed test through my modem I'm getting around 380-415Mbps but when I run a speed test through my R7000 I'm getting around 170-180Mbps. The current firmware on my router is 1.0.9.88. I also hav Qos off and Traffic Metering off.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000 Cutting my download speed in half.

@SpudLord wrote:
@michaelkenward So to do all of this I just need to make sure I have logged into my router by going to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser then disconnect from the modem. Also I have to have the .42 firmware saved somewhere like my desktop then followe the steps?

If you can login to that address, you've got it.

Indeed, if you can login, you don't even need to disconnect the modem.

Keep a copy of the firmware somewhere convenient. Remember, it arrives as a zip file and you'll need to unzip it before the router will accept it. Those instructions should be in the release notes, which are also on the zip file.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 21

All Replies

What is that modem?

Have you tried different speed test sites?

Message 2 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

Yes I have and my modem is an Arris. I will have to get the model number later tonight.
Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

Is that hardwired speed testing for both or wireless on the router? Make sure you're testing over a hardwired connection.

I'd also recommend looking at your firmware. The R7000 is notorious for having issues with firmware > the .42 version. Its the agreed upon most stable version. if you do try downgrading to it, make sure to factory reset afterward and do a manual install (not from backup). 

Message 4 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@plemans If yes I have it connected wit an ethernet cable and yes the speeds are cut in half on both wired and through Wi-Fi. Also I have no idea how to go back on a firmware update. If you could walk me through step by step like explaining it to a 5 year old. I'm not really familiar with all of this.
Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

@TheEtherdid a great write up of it here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-Downgrade-Firmware-on-Nighthawk-R7000...

it was a bit older of a post so I'd go witht he .42 firmware though. 

Message 6 of 21
plemans
Guru

The older firmware is found under the "+view previous versions". Download the version you want, extract it to your computer, and then follow these simple steps. Factory reset after it fully downgrades and reboots. Then manually setup the router. Don't use a backup. 

1. Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade. 
  2. Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
  3. Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.
Message 7 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@plemans When you say manual setup what do you mean by that because I used the nighthawk app to set up the router when I got it.
Message 8 of 21
plemans
Guru

I just mean don't re-install from a backup. The R7000 updated to Armor and I've noticed more people having issues when they re-install from a backup configuration after changing to Armor. 

Message 9 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@plemans Well when I do the setup through the nighthawk app on my phone it automatically detects for firmware updates and installs them so is there a way to set up the R7000 without the nighthawk app because if it reinstalls the firmware I currently have then I'm back to square one.

Other wise do you know of some other routers that dont have this problem. They don't have to be a nighthawk. I just neet it to handle up to 500Mbps for download.
Message 10 of 21
plemans
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

Message 11 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@plemans Ok, I assume I do this before I install the old firmware or should I do it after I install the old firmware before I do my factory rest by pressing the reset button with a paperclip?
Message 12 of 21
plemans
Guru

so do it in this order. manually download the firmware to your computer first. (and extract it)

1. unhook the router from the modem

2. Reset the r7000 

3. install the firmware to the router over a hardwired connection

4. Reset the r7000 again,

5. disable auto updates. 

6. do the full setup on the R7000

Message 13 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@plemans Where in these steps do I conect my router to my modem because how amy I suppose to access my router without internet or is there a way to do that l. That is the only part that confuses me.
1. unhook the router from the modem

2. Reset the r7000

3. install the firmware to the router over a hardwired connection

4. Reset the r7000 again,

5. disable auto updates.

6. do the full setup on the R7000
Message 14 of 21

@SpudLord wrote:
@plemans Where in these steps do I conect my router to my modem because how amy I suppose to access my router without internet or is there a way to do that l.

You don't need an Internet connection to work on the router.

Plug your PC into the router and follow the intructions from @plemans .

• Disconnect router from modem
  • Plug PC into router
  • Reset router
  • Install chosen firmware
  • Reset router
  • Disable autoupdate.
  • Turn off router
  • Turn off modem
  • Plug router into modem
  • Plug PC into router
  • Turn on modem
  • Wait for it to connect to the internet
  • Turn on router
  • Wait for it to connect to the internet

You may have to reboot the PC at this stage.

Message 15 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@michaelkenward So to do all of this I just need to make sure I have logged into my router by going to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser then disconnect from the modem. Also I have to have the .42 firmware saved somewhere like my desktop then followe the steps? Sorry I'm really bad when it comes to networking so having to explain it like talking to a 5 year old is the only way I'm going to understand.
Message 16 of 21

@SpudLord wrote:
@michaelkenward So to do all of this I just need to make sure I have logged into my router by going to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser then disconnect from the modem. Also I have to have the .42 firmware saved somewhere like my desktop then followe the steps?

If you can login to that address, you've got it.

Indeed, if you can login, you don't even need to disconnect the modem.

Keep a copy of the firmware somewhere convenient. Remember, it arrives as a zip file and you'll need to unzip it before the router will accept it. Those instructions should be in the release notes, which are also on the zip file.

Message 17 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

The only other thing that is confusing still is how to disable the automatic update after I reset it because don't I need to set the router up again before I can configure the settings. Also I use the nighthawk app to set my router up so there is that to take I account too.
Message 18 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@michaelkenward The only other thing that is confusing still is how to disable the automatic update after I reset it because don't I need to set the router up again before I can configure the settings. Also I use the nighthawk app to set my router up so there is that to take I account too.
Message 19 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@michaelkenward
@plemans
I did what you have said and it did nothing. My Download speed is still being cut in half.
Message 20 of 21
SpudLord
Guide

@michaelkenward @plemans I stand corrected it seem it might be better it's not perfect but I think it will do for now. Thank you for your time and teaching me how to do what needed to be done I really appreciate it.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7