PaulVdB
Tutor

Re: R7000 NAS Drive Can't Delete Files Folders Permissions Issue User \ Nobody

Check the date of this message ... it's still not working ... Smiley Sad

Message 51 of 81
omaudio
Guide

STILL AN ISSUE. Insane. Sick of not being able to delete items and utilize my RS drive effectively.

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

C

Message 52 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

I don't know the difference between R7000 and R7500(mine), but USB HDD's/sticks/cards etc DON'T work on R7500. Lost or damaged files... Canon scanner does not work on USB. I tried eSata : doesn't work... been talking with helpdesk Level 1, Level 2 and even Level 3 : still doesn't work.

My USB printer on the Router works fine for every one. oh, yes ... it routs too ! intra- and internet=OK.

Message 53 of 81
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @omaudio,

Have you tried the suggestion to change the permission of the file folder to be on "read/write" access? If you do and if it still does not work, can you try to copy those files that cannot be deleted to a different drive and see if it will give you the same result. Also, did you get the same problem with your previous fw version? By the way, what's the brand of your HD and also the file format?

Regards,

Message 54 of 81
omaudio
Guide

Yes I tried r/w of course thx. I tried NTFS originally. Now I am EXT3 format with same issue. R/W set to ALL/no password. The fact this has not been resolved by Netgear is very frustrating. The problem has existed from the day I installed it.

Current fw- V1.0.4.30_1.1.67  

I have tried 2 hard drives.

Current drive is:

Seagate Laptop SSHD 1TB SATA Hybrid Drive

model- ST1000LM014

p/n- 1EJ164-036

I am using a USB 3.0 adapter from Apricorn.

The drive is hot and I am not even using it. Does the router spin the drive down when not in use?

Thx

C

Message 55 of 81
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@omaudio have you tried using lower firmware version? Can you do a screen grab of your folder permissions and attributes?

Regards,

Message 56 of 81
omaudio
Guide

No. Other users have already reported older fw ver do not solve the problem.

C

Message 57 of 81
mdsflyer
Tutor

I have just started using a USB 3.0 drive with my Nighthawk Router and have discovered exactly the same problem that has been reported to Netgear for 18 MONTHS now on this thread. Files from Windows PC and OsX MAcs can be written and read from the drive attached to the router but I am unable to delete those files.

Netgear, clearly there is an issue here, reading through the posts it would appear some reasonbly IT literate folks have been submitting detailed explanations of a recurring and consistent problem. And to date as a company nothing has been rectified.

This is unaccetable. 

One of the main factors for me spending a lot of dollars on the R7000 was the fact it purported to be able to act as a NAS with an attached USB hard drive. That advertised feature is not being completely delivered and therefore I think a claim of false advertising and negligible support on this product is valid.

Time to sort this out or I want a refund and I imagine there will be quite a queue of like minded types behind me.

Message 58 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

Same problem here buddy (with R7500) ... I gave up and got an eSata drive.

Doesn't work eiter ... Smiley Sad been in contact with netgear "experts" for over 5 months ... again new firmware, again new firmware, again installing new "debug" firmware, and again ... again format the drive, again format the drive... Sending logfiles, sending more logfiles ... nothing is working yet.

Then they came up with the big sollution : Level 3 (THREE!!) experts on remote desktop. First they where an hour late, then in the next hour at least 10 times connection failure (absolutely!) NOT on my side !!! I gave up. Now again new "debug-firmware"...

R7500 is OK for network and USB-printer. ONLY printer, scanner doesn't work. Netgear USB (Universal Serial Bus) should be SB (Serial Bus) -> Not "universal" AT ALL!!! Wifi is not better than $50 no-brand router.

Some one wants to buy my 7500 ?

No... I'm not selling it : I would feel ashamed for selling (EXPENSIVE!!) junk...

Message 59 of 81
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@omaudio, @PaulVdB, @mdsflyer Kindly PM me some of the files that cannot be deleted. Will use it for testing.

Thank you!

Message 60 of 81
mdsflyer
Tutor

Hi Elaine, thanks for the repsonse.

Will send you a dropbox link as file/folder is rather large, (150mb) you can then download it from there.

It will take me 24 hours to sort this out as away from home just now.

Cheers m

Message 61 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

Dear ElainM,

As you could read in my previous post, I gave up on USB HDD's on Netgear's R7500 router. I've been communicating about this with the "experts" of Netgear, and they couldn't come up with an answer. (Support case 24752748). So I switched to an eSata drive, and actually this is even worse. (support case 24753233 -> HD doesn't show up in windows explorer) The R7500 is NOT capable to deal with USB drives NOR eSata drives. Reading forums about this R7500 (and other, similar Netgear products), I learn that EVERY ONE who tries to connect has problems with USB and/or eSata connections, and that NO ONE got a serious answer to solve their problems.

The files where I had problems with were just ordinary .jpg files (pictures, NOT write protected, readable and erasable by any other device). When I connected the USB drive to my computer, everything worked like a charm. Same for when I connected the eSata drive to my computer : no problems at all. Netgear "experts" are trying for more than 5 months now to get this thing working. So far NO result at all !!! The first thing they could come up with, is that I should reformat the drive with EXFAT. (was NTFS) The last thing ('bout 5 months later) they instructed me to format the drive with NTFS... Hello???    Probably today I'll install (for the 3rd time) a special debug firmware. If I don't get a satisfying solution within a week after I sent them this debug file, I really will use everything what's in my power to: or get my money back, or get a router that does what what it says on the box. I'll even involve "TEST AANKOOP" (a powerful organisation kinda like USA's "Consumer Protection Bureau") but I hope this won't be necessary.

But when this issue ever gets solved, I already have another problem with this router. I should be able to access any HDD that is connected to it's USB or eSata port, right? Well, I already can tell you this : from a USB stick that I connected to one of the USB ports: I can't access files remotely. Remotely I can see folders, but that is all. I can NOT use any files remotely. Through the LAN, it works fine, although when I connected a USB stick for the first time, the R7500 corrupted a few files. You understand that I really get frustrated with this huge overpriced router.

Another problem with this router : it can not work with my Canon 5600 Scanner. Answer from Netgear to this problem : Sorry, R7500 does not work with your scanner...

USB stands for "UNIVERSAL Serial Bus", right ? I think that Netgear should name those ports "NUSB" (NOT-UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS) !!! (*)

More and more, I believe that this Netgear R7500 is a no less than a pure scam.

Nevertheless : thank you very much for your concern, ElainM. I really appreciate your involvement, and I'll be very interested in your further comments. If you want, I can send you the whole communication between me and the "experts" (several pages!)

(*) PS. I used an original Western Digital 4TB HD drive (not just any "cheap chinese clone") I even sent pictures of it to the experts.

Message 62 of 81
omaudio
Guide

If they do not resolve it I will start with filing a complaint with the BBB and go from there. Maybe a lawyer would be interested in the case. We could at least hope to get some compensation towards a device that does what we bought it for in the first place. If they cannot outline some unique circumstances that lead to this behavior then it simply comes down to a flaw in hardware or software in their design and implementation and their choice to continue advertising features that do not work. Simple r/w access to a USB connected storage device has been around for well over a decade. Am I missing something??

C

Message 63 of 81
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mdsflyer will look forward to your sample files.

@PaulVdB I understand the frustration you have. Looks like your case is being handled right now and you will get an update as soon as they have completed the analysis from your debug logs.

@omaudio Rest assured that this case is currently handled by our engineers to get this resolved.

Regards,

Message 64 of 81
omaudio
Guide

The product is almost 2 years since release. I will be surprised if anything gets fixed. Thanks for a reply.

C

Message 65 of 81
omaudio
Guide

I have filed a complaint with the BBB. A year and a half+ is more than enough time to either fix the problem or resolve it with customers. You do not get to take my money and just ignore fetures I paid for and expected to utilize. Lip service thus far. I encourage any other owners to take action as well.
C

Message 66 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

Maybe we should start some kinda FaceBook "Netgear Complaints" page ... and post our complaints where every one (also future clients) can see them.

Message 67 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

Dear ElaineM,

Seeing and reading these MANY complaints about Netgear routers, I wonder when Netgear is gonna admit their mistake and do something appropriate to gain all these costumers' confidence back. refund ? replace ?

Or do we have to start a "Netgear Complaints" page on Facebook, we we can post our grievances in the open to warn future costumers ?

Message 68 of 81
mdsflyer
Tutor

After a bit of experimentation it appears that I can delete individual files but not folders, and then I can delete the folders but only if I have deleted the individual files.

Is this the case for anyone else?

Message 69 of 81
omaudio
Guide

Netgear responded to my BBB complaint. They deflected entirely by stating:

1- we have no record of you contacting us re this issue. (false)

2- "what you are experiencing is an isolated issue"

3- your product is out of warranty- go through reseller.

Totally lame cookie cutter response that-

1- does not accurately reflect the fact that MANY users are dealing with this problem.

2- offloads their responsibility by hiding behind "you are out of warranty"

3- ignores the fact that the same unit is still being sold with buggy firmware

They say here on the forums "we are aware of the problem and are working on it", but in response to a BBB complaint just try to get rid of me all together by denial that the issue exists and using warranty as an excuse to not fix the issue or deal with me any further.

lame.

C

Message 70 of 81
jerryleem412
Initiate

I resolved the issue by downloading a python script from: 

https://github.com/insanid/netgear-telenetenable

This enables Telnet until restart of router.

Once your into the cli you can locate the mount and use chmod to set permissions.

This works, but you must know what you doing, which is why I'm not providing step by step.

Make sure to restart your router when done or you'll have a wide open tenet port. 

Message 71 of 81
donatodd
Initiate

Hi Guys,

I found an easy way to change permissions. First you need to have the FTP activated into NAS, then when an ftp client (I use filezilla) you can change files and directory attribute. You have to select write checkbox for all your directories/files finally you will have full access to delete them with your explorer

Regards

Phoenix 

Message 72 of 81
theLEMband
Initiate

I am having this issue also. I couldn't figure out why my backups were getting so huge until i discovered the backup software couldn't get permission to clean out some of the folders.  I tried changing permissions with an ftp client as a temporary fix, but that wouldn't even work. Very frustrated and not happy that this has beein going on so long.

D-Link?

Message 73 of 81
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Have you tried to use the beta firmware for this router? You can check this link.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/m-p...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 74 of 81
MikeyPf
Aspirant

I also have the problem with not being able to delete files from an attachd usb drive from a windows computer without changing the properties from read only. Unfortunately eventually the properties change back to read only, usually pretty quickly but not to quickly to be able to delete the files or folder. But weirdly, using when using esfile explorer from an adroid tablet or smartphone I have no problem deleting items from the drive. I wonder if there's a file explorer app for windows 10 that might work? Will look for some and if I find any that work will post.

Message 75 of 81
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7