Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

chopin70
Virtuoso

In reply to my previous own bug report:

After testing many p2p files and trackers, I ended with hard reset, downgrade to 1.0.4.30 which worked fine for me previously and restored my backup of that firmware

Now, p2p performance on 3 different clients and various trackers is again very stable

Under 1.0.6 it was a continuous up and down caused by peers being dropped regularly. After a while, they only got allowed to some 0.1 to 1 kbs

My tests were done on 2 days with 1.0.6. While the p2p activity was still miserable, I downgraded and I immediately saw the performance stability

I am sticking with 1.0.4.30 for the next months until something proper comes out. Quiet a shame seeing all this crappy feedback with 2 consecutive fw updates...

Message 76 of 321
TheEther
Guru

Two very good guides for enabling bridge mode (acually a pseudo-bridge mode but it accomplishes the goal of moving the public IP address to your router) on Uverse gateways:

1. How do I setup bridge mode in the Motorola NVG589 (works for NVG599, too)
  2. How do I configure bridge mode (DMZ+) on a 2Wire 3600HGV, 3800HGV, or 3801HGV
Message 77 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

C
Message 78 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

I have the newest update... And its not stable as the 1.4.30.
This is really really, really terible as a company like Netgear. You test something before bringing it out. Other firmware's from other Company are better. So please fix this asap.
Message 79 of 321
magnus98
Aspirant

What exactly is the trick to getting these cameras to sync with the router? I have the latest firmware (V1.0.6.28_1.1.83) for the router. The arlo site says that my router is offline and the router shows that that it does not have a connection. However, I am connected to the internet with the router using a wired connection. Also, the wireless connection says that it is off even though it is on. What in the world is wrong with this firmware? Is anyone else having these issues? 

I got one of the cameras added but it does not seem to be connected and the router itself does not show on the router. 

Message 80 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

A wireless network has an SSID to distinguish it from other wireless networks in the vicinity. The SSID was never designed to be hidden, and therefore won’t provide your network with any kind of protection if you try to hide it. It’s extremely easy to find the ID for a “hidden” network—all you have to do is use a utility like InSSIDer or Net Stumbler or to scan the network for a short while to show all of the current networks out there. It’s really that simple, and there’s plenty of other tools that do the same job and most are free.

Message 81 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

@Killhippie

If i get the option to hide the ssid, that must to be worked in the firmware. Otherwise isn't build in.
Message 82 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I have seen some client devices that don't work well with a hidden SSID, so it may not entirely be the router at fault.

There are a number of options in the router that many people probably should not play around with, you sometimes really need to know specifically what you are getting in to.

Message 83 of 321
seanmacaoidh
Aspirant

Hi All, thought I was going mad with my rooter R7000 until I started reading all your problems. My problem is different to all that I have read so far.

I am connected to the internet via a 4g dish outside my house and was up until lately getting 40mg plus down and 10 up on my wired PC runing windows 10 64bit

After this update I was getting on average 10 down and 3 up no mater if i did it on wireless or on the wired TV boxes or my PC. I have talked to my provider and have been told that the same speeds are there. I have tried a number of the items mentioned ie turning off Arlo, guest wireless & traffic meter.

I am now getting 17-20 down and 3.5 up a little better but not much. Has anyone any other sugestions other than reverting to an older firmware as i am thinking of fitting a Nas to the router and the new options in the latest firmware make it easier to setup I am thinking.

Message 84 of 321
chopin70
Virtuoso

@seanmacaoidh wrote:

Hi All, thought I was going mad with my rooter R7000 until I started reading all your problems. My problem is different to all that I have read so far.

I am connected to the internet via a 4g dish outside my house and was up until lately getting 40mg plus down and 10 up on my wired PC runing windows 10 64bit

After this update I was getting on average 10 down and 3 up no mater if i did it on wireless or on the wired TV boxes or my PC. I have talked to my provider and have been told that the same speeds are there. I have tried a number of the items mentioned ie turning off Arlo, guest wireless & traffic meter.

I am now getting 17-20 down and 3.5 up a little better but not much. Has anyone any other sugestions other than reverting to an older firmware as i am thinking of fitting a Nas to the router and the new options in the latest firmware make it easier to setup I am thinking.

And what are the features in the new fw that will make you fit a NAS easier? Check the change log and unless you need some of the changes mentioned, better downgrade. It was the only fix for my performance and speed issues

Message 85 of 321
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been using REAL NAS's (not this usb plug a drive in and pretend I have a Nas now) since 2004 and the new firmware did nothing BUT slow down my transfers between Wired QNAP TS470 PRO and Several different Sony Laptops.

I stumbled 1.0.5.52 and after trying 6.28 I went back to it and I can't find any issues with it so far. My transfers PEAK @ 72MBps on it.

Message 86 of 321
magnus98
Aspirant

Ugggh, why won't my Arlo cameras work with this new firmware? 🙂 I've waiting for days hoping that it was a camera firmware thing. 

Message 87 of 321
sir_bazz
Guide

@searay wrote:

@I stumbled 1.0.5.52 and after trying 6.28 I went back to it and I can't find any issues with it so far. My transfers PEAK @ 72MBps on it.

Hey Searay,

How are you using your R7000?  I saw your post on 1.0.5.52 so gave it a go and while it is the fastest firmware I've tried for lan/lan transfers, (about 10% faster than 1.0.3.61_20140605_QA), I was also seeing issues with WAN speeds.  Every second packet had elevated ping response times. I should've had a quick look at a packet capture but didn't have the time to mess around.

I'm trying out 1.0.4.28 atm and it seems solid so far but lan/lan transfer speeds across the wireless bridge are about 10% slower than 1.0.3.61_20140605_QA.  Haven't even bothered with 1.0.6.28....too many complaints.

Message 88 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Yes but it doesnt make it a good idea just because its there to fiddle with it, 20/40 Coexistance is there but it should really be left to 20 unless you live in a field in the middle of nowhere, otherwise you can mess up not only your neighbours but your own network. Leave the SSID visable and use a good strong WPA2 AES password, thats all the security you really need, same as mac filtering, so easy to spoof its not worth turning on and in some cases causes issues with some clients.

Message 89 of 321
mondenath
Prodigy

I dont agree mac filtering cant be spoofed. Hacking is always there but if mac filtered it hard to get in not like impossible. Unless no one takes so hard to get in simple wifi nw unless a huge worth behind it.

Nighthawk cant just be simply hacked with some simple client . You need to genius in nw to do that finding the loophole and bruteforce with advanced technique.

Message 90 of 321
chopin70
Virtuoso

LoL, MAC filtering doesn't need a hacker, just a teenager, but a bit smart to just do a google for the needed tools 😉

Message 91 of 321
TheEther
Guru

@Killhippie wrote:

Yes but it doesnt make it a good idea just because its there to fiddle with it, 20/40 Coexistance is there but it should really be left to 20 unless you live in a field in the middle of nowhere, otherwise you can mess up not only your neighbours but your own network. Leave the SSID visable and use a good strong WPA2 AES password, thats all the security you really need, same as mac filtering, so easy to spoof its not worth turning on and in some cases causes issues with some clients.

+1

Just to be clear, 20/40 Coexistence should be left enabled.  This is the default setting and is what allows the router to drop back down to 20 MHz in order to play nicely with nearby Wi-Fi networks.

I also agree about MAC filtering being useless protection against hackers.  On Netgear routers, MAC filtering is enforced after Wi-Fi security is checked.  If a hacker can crack your Wi-Fi password, he'll have no problem getting past MAC filtering.  Cracking a Wi-Fi password is still moderately difficult but there are tools (Google hashcat) that can leverage the powerful GPUs in high-end videos to crack an 8 character Wi-Fi password in less than a day (Hint: Make your Wi-Fi password at least 12 characters!).  Contrast that with, literally, the 5 minutes it will take to bypass MAC filtering.  It's like putting a Master combination lock on the door inside a bank vault.  

MAC filtering can still be used as an administrative tool to limit Internet access for kids.  Hopefully, they don't have the technical know how to find articles like this one (link) to bypass it.  Or, worse they have smartphones and simply switch to cellular data.

Message 92 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

Gues what , i use the custom firmware asus-merlin on the r7000. Run like a champ! No issues at all. + got a range booster on the firmware
Message 93 of 321
Masks
Initiate

Same here, very annoying. 2.4G network seems to have a weaker signal too. @netgear support: can we expect an fix soon? Thanks!

@jflorance wrote:

I updated to 1.0.6.28 yesterday and have lost access to my 2.4G network. I have both 5 and 2.4 running and a 2.4G guest network . The guest network seems to work fine. I've tested it with on Android device and 2 Windows laptops. I'll entertain any workarounds or solutions. 

Probably doesn't matter but I turned off Arlo right after the update.

Message 94 of 321
mondenath
Prodigy

I have a quick question probably James can answer from Technical perspective.

Will the download manager seed for downloading any BT based download job. Is there any setting that we can put it to 0 or 1kb so that upload bandwidth can be saved.

Please comment on that. Why seeding part is not visible.

Message 95 of 321
jflorance
Star

@Masks wrote:

Same here, very annoying. 2.4G network seems to have a weaker signal too. @netgear support: can we expect an fix soon? Thanks!

@jflorance wrote:

I updated to 1.0.6.28 yesterday and have lost access to my 2.4G network. I have both 5 and 2.4 running and a 2.4G guest network . The guest network seems to work fine. I've tested it with on Android device and 2 Windows laptops. I'll entertain any workarounds or solutions. 

Probably doesn't matter but I turned off Arlo right after the update.

Just to be clear, I had problems connecting to 2.4Ghz after applying the firmware update. Once I did a factory reset, I could connect both bands. I have not seen any changes in signal strength between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz since the update. In fact, my 2.4 is now about 4-6 db stronger in my basement. It was stronger before but I don't know by how much.

I am staing with 1.0.6.28 for now. 

Message 96 of 321
omoeller
Guide

Congrats - did not work for me at all - unfortunately. While 4.28 works for me right now I'll try XVORTEX  out of curiosity  - it is somewhaat disappointing that NETGEAR seems to have a need to catch up on testing before release ...

Message 97 of 321
Bersaglio
Tutor

I want to add my 2 cents without whining. XWRT (Xvortex) firmware maybe better in few aspects compared to stock FW but it is very poor in external HDD (connected to USB 3.0 on router) speed and stability. I lost few of my files permanently because of this FW. Currently i replaced my R7000 with cheap RT-N56U B1 running Padavan (also known as XRMWRT) FW. This router is worse compared to R7000 in WiFi range and speeds but it is better in USB stability and WAN to LAN throughput. And the main thing - Padavan firmware is absolutely the best of all routers FWs that I have ever seen. Maybe someday I'll return back to my R7000 but only if all FW problems will be gone and everything will work stable for months without reboots.
Best wishes for the New Year!

Message 98 of 321
omoeller
Guide

Thanks for your feedback - I was actually considering a switch to an ASUS router recently as well - I did try previously but was not satisfied with WLAN performace given location boundaries. Anyway, with regards to XVORTEX I do not use any USB connectivity, I have a dedicated, independent NAS for Data and Media sharing.

Wireless performance and stability incl. access management is key to me - so I might give it a try. Anyway thanks for the heads-up!!

Message 99 of 321
chopin70
Virtuoso

Yes, sad to see this run towards multi purpose devices, aka low cost linux boxes for noobs. They want to manage routing, USB sharing, file serving clients, NAS, USB storage... The result is they just fail in every aspect compared to dedicated devices.

Wish that Netgear releases some dedicated router that just does what it is supposed to do (routing) and focuses on updating and fixing it in a professional way.

People interested in all in one toolboxes that perform avaragely on many aspects can find their needs while people interested in routing can get a professional, yet accessible router

Message 100 of 321
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7