Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

omoeller
Guide

It somewhat speaks to itself and NETGEAR's dedication and customer focus that this thread is still buried in the stack and not made it to a sticky as requested multiple times. Instead they are still showing the 5.44 limited beta as a highlight ....

Message 101 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Hello all,

One thing that I didn't do when I upgraded the firmware was to do a reset right after the upgrade. I thought "I just upgraded it, so it must be good"

Then I noticed that my downloads weren't as good as before. So today, I wanted to try a previous firmware, so I did a reset again, went back to factory configuration WITH the latest firmware, and just before I tried the other firmware, I decided to check my download bandwith. And there is was again, close to 720Mb again. So I just re-applied my configuration and everything is working again great.

So really: reset, firmware, reset. 

I know it's been told and told before, but... 🙂

So far, the latest firmware, .6.28 is very good.

Message 102 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

How is the 5ghz band ?
Message 103 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

The 5Ghz band seems to be good, I've tried both my One+ and my LG tablet and they both have a clear and fast signal. I'll try my laptop later, but there is no doubt that it will connect fast and easy 🙂

I'll update this post when I'm on my laptop.

Message 104 of 321
ankydu
Guide

I have the latest firmware now, and other than not being able to login to the router in Router mode via my PC connected via LAN port, I dont have any other issues with the latest firmware.

EDIT: Now am not able to login to the router in 1.0.4 firmware as well after I upgraded to the latest firmware, but not much of an issue as I use the router in Wireless AP mode and in that everything works. So at the moment am sticking with 1.0.6.28.

Message 105 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Weird... Of course you've tried with different browsers, emptied the cache, and so on? No restriction on the configuration? 

Message 106 of 321
ankydu
Guide

Yeh everything and more than what I could think of, including 3-4 resets with each firmware. 

Message 107 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

I'm sure I've missed your posts and so I might write something that you've already done and done again, but... :

1) can you ping the router from your PC?

2) have you tried rebooting your computer safe mode?

3) while your computer is connected to the router with the LAN cable, what attached devices do you see if you use let's say a WiFi device (tablet, computer,...?) I've had one tablet that I had configured in the access devices, Mac Address and all, but I had to authorise it with another tablet when it tried to connect...

Message 108 of 321
ankydu
Guide

1. Yes I can ping the router and even my Internet works fine. But when trying to open the router page,  I get connection reset error. 

2. Yes I also tried in safe mode. 

3. I have access control disabled. And once I changed the router to wireless AP mode via my android tablet over wifi, i am able to access the router from my desktop without doing any more settings. 

Message 109 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you tried flushing your DNS cache, and doing a IP release and renew? On Windows 7 it was ; Open a command prompt window by typing cmd in the search box; at the flashing cursor; type ipconfig /flushdns (leave a space after ipconfig for each line you type); press your enter key on your keyboard. Next line at the flashing cursor type; ipconfig /release and press enter; Next line type ipconfig /renew and press enter.
Message 110 of 321
ankydu
Guide

Yup done all that.
Message 111 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

what browser are you using exactly? 

seems really weird that you cannot connect to the router BUT that you can browse the net...

must be something with the browser, no way it's the router 😮

Message 112 of 321
ankydu
Guide

I tried on chrome, Firefox, Edge and internet Explorer all with resetting all browser settings. Also tried through windows 7 and Windows 10.

Edit: the same router becomes accessible in my PC if I change it to wireless AP mode from router mode. So it has to be the router. 

Message 113 of 321
ankydu
Guide

Just to update and help others who are not able to login to the router:

I TRIED 5 HARD RESETS WITH THE ROUTER TRYING TO OPEN THE LOGIN PAGE ON MY PC CONNECTED VIA LAN CABLE BUT IT JUST REFUSED TO WORK IN WINDOWS 7 AS WELL AS WINDOWS 10. FINALLY I DOWNLOADED A BOOTABLE LINUX OS AND BOOTED MY PC FROM IT AND VOILA IT WAS ABLE TO ACCESS THE ROUTER WITHOUT ANY ISSUES. SO THE REAL ISSUE LIES BETWEEN THE R7000 AND WINDOWS OS WITH NETGEAR BEING AT FAULT.

Message 114 of 321
chopin70
Virtuoso

If Linux could access after a fresh install, I am sure a fresh install of windows would also have succeeded

Maybe you just messed up your IP and network setup without even understanding it!

Reading through your posts, you should have connected to the router through WAN port not LAN! It is well described in manual and over internet for most routers...

Also, in such scenarios, you must physically disconnect all LAN cables from PC and router and only keep one cable from router WAN port to PC LAN port

Most PCs have 2 LAN ports, so ensure you use teh correct adapter network range

Finally, maybe your PC adapter was not on the 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0) sub, to which the router defaults after reset

It can be also you're assigning DHCP through PC or have messed you Windows IPv4 config

Message 115 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

mmmh... 

Connected the PC to the WAN port of the router? Never tried that, and I wonder how he would be able to surf the net if connected that way... 

If his IP network was messsed up, please explain how he can surf the net. I'd like to see a IPCONFIG /ALL please

If his IP address (computer side) is 192.168.1.1 I wonder how he can surf the net... 

If it's DHCP configured, then again, IPCONFIG /ALL

Message 116 of 321
ankydu
Guide

@chopin70 I tried with all the cables both LAN and USB disconnected with just the PC connected to the LAN 1 port of the router but still was unable to access the router page.

Secondly I tried manually setting the IP address to 192.168.1.11 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 and gateway and DNS to 192.168.1.1, but still no access to the router.

If my windows IP configuration was messed up I shouldn't be able to ping the router at all, in my case I was able to. Also how can I access the internet and network.

Thirdly Till firmwares before 1.0.4.30 I was able to access the router after a reset through the same LAN 1 port and through the same windows 7 and windows 10 installations, why not now ?

Message 117 of 321
chopin70
Virtuoso

@ankydu

- Disconnect every LAN cable from PC and router

- Hard reset router, it will default to DHCP with IP 192.168.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0

- In windows: right click on network adapter you're going to use on your PC / Properties / TCP-IPv4 / Properties

- Set every thing to obtain automatically (IP, DNS and personal IP)

- Do the same for TCP/IPv6 on the adapter

- Disable the second LAN adapter on PC if you have one (right click the adapter / Disable)

- Shutdown PC

- Turn on router if it was off, let it finish boot sequence

- Connect one LAN cable from PC to WAN port on router

- Turn on PC and boot into windows

- Start menu / Run / cmd

- In the command line enter: ipconfig /all

- look for the section with your adapter name. It should show your adapter with 192.168.1.1 default gateway, 192.168.1.1 DHC server and your PC IP to 192.168.1.33 usually. Most important is the gateway and DNS server

- Now, you should be able to access router with 192.168.1.1 url

If not working. Turn off PC, turn off router, conenct cable to LAN 1 of router instead of WAN, turn on router, wait to finish, turn on PC

Now, you can change the DHCP and IP networks in router if you need (I use 10.0.0.1 since my broad band modem is forced to 192.168.x.x in passthrough)

In my case, after hard reset, I always had to use WAN port. However, unlike what I said in previous post, I see in manual they ask to connect to a LAN port on first setup.

Let me know

Message 118 of 321
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This happened to me sometimes after a factory reset or firmware change i couldn't access the UI even though the IP was correct I reset EVERYTHING and all it said was this...

222.png

The only way to get it to work was reinstalling windows 10 (This is the second time I have done this) then it came up straight away. And "Most PCs have 2 LAN ports" is wrong no they dont

Message 119 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

I really have no clue as to why you'd want to connect the PC to the WAN port... The WAN port is for... the WAN, not the LAN.

Also, it's better, way better, if not normal, to configure a fix IP on the desktop, within the range of the resetted router, 192.168.1.X. Why? Because you don't know the configuration of the router after the reset, you just know its range. So use it that way.

You can and should disable IPv6, there is no reason to use it at home, at least not yet, to if you want to configure the router. Better do that later if needs arise.

No need to turn off or reboot the desktop, unless you're using some old Win version 😮

I'd love to see the result of IPCONFIG /ALL when connected to the LAN port of the router and when you can't log in BUT you can surf the net.

Message 120 of 321
scornell2288
Guide

No devies connect to 2.4 network with auth.

Message 121 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

Can this tread be a "sticky"?
Message 122 of 321
ankydu
Guide

@LeKeiser Here is the screenshot for you, currently I am posting this message from my desktop computer where the router page is not accessible but net is working fine.

ip_screenshot.jpgping_ip.JPG

And when trying to open router page in Firefox Browser:

ip_access.JPG

Message 123 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Helo Ankydu,

I can't see your screenshots, there is no link to access them either. Only a square with a yellow triangle.

Can you post them somewhere else?

Message 124 of 321
ankydu
Guide

Message 125 of 321
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7