Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

JamesGL
Master

Hi Shadedred,

The 5Ghz issue that you have mentioned has been forwarded already to engineers. I will be providing feedback for any updates.

Message 176 of 321
ptgeorge
Aspirant

Smart Connect Issues - R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

My Issues with 1.0.6.28_1.1.83

*Smart Connect does not work with secure applications such as Good email client

*Smart Connect roaming from one band to the other results in disconnect requiring manual WiFi release/reconnect. 

Message 177 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Re: Smart Connect Issues - R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

smart connect is really not worth using tbh. Just use two different SSID's  and pick the one that gives you what you need eithe on 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz

Message 178 of 321
shadedred
Aspirant

Message 179 of 321
googull
Aspirant

Immediately following this update I lost my two Samsung Wifi Camera connections and all 5 Nest Protect Smoke Detectors.  I was able to re-open all the port triggers that got wiped by the update but no luck getting the two cameas back on-line.  Other 2.4 GHz connections are working fine but not the Cameras - Yes using same SSID and PW, etc.  I finally regressed back to the prior release, restored my configuration file and viloa! everything works again.  Yes, I tried disabling the Ario support but that made no impact in this case.  Something very messed up with this release. 

Message 180 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

And the problem reports keep rolling in...

Come on Netgear, pull this release already.

Message 181 of 321
Ubimo
Aspirant

I just bought this router three days ago and immediatly updated to 1.0.6.28 (from 1.0.4)

The menu is very slow responding, is that normal? When I click on a button the desired settings page needs seconds to load.. 😞

I'm used to OpenWrt.

Before I got the Nighthawk I had a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND.

I'm dissapointed of the promises the ads told. I did not get a better coverage of the WLAN area, even with tweaking around with the settings. The router also needs a very long time to start up comparing to the WR1043ND.

I'm considering to return the Nighthawk and go back to the WR1043ND.

Message 182 of 321
bytat
Tutor

revert back to v 4.0.28.. it's the latest stable release.. if you're like me, in europe, you can set the region on Japan for DFS channels in the 5ghz band.

I've been trying out every new firmware and the added, sometimes working, features aren't worth the trouble and stability issues that the later firmwares are plauged with.

Message 183 of 321
omoeller
Guide

Just received another announcement from Netgear that they have released R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.48 - what GREAT news

Not sure what they are doing there but it feels support and development are a bit lost ....

I can only tell that after moving to XVORTEX all my problems are gone, super WLAN performance on both ranges, cool tools to manage mobile.

I think this will be my last NETGEAR router after some time .... sad 😞

Message 184 of 321
glennf14
Tutor

I made an account so I could voice my frustration with this new firmware. Netgear, please withdraw this release, it's full of bugs!

The 2.4 Ghz band is broken due to some issue with Arlo and multiple 2.4ghz SSIDs. My workaround is disabling Arlo and enabling "access control" with "all devices allowed." That seems to allow my 2.4ghz devices to connect successfully.

If I simply disable access control, then my 2.4 ghz devices cannot connect (EPSON printer, and Logitech Harmony Hub). The EPSON complains about multiple SSIDs with same name, and also complains about failing to pass through mac filtering, even though I don't have any mac filtering enabled. Nothing has changed in my config to cause this, other than the firmware update.

Message 185 of 321
glennf14
Tutor

Update:

My workaround is disabling Arlo, enabling "access control" with "all devices allowed", and then disabling the guest network on the 2.4ghz band.

Message 186 of 321
Millstone
Guide

Yikes this is bad firmware. All transmission just randomly stops and my Nest thermostat had an error unable to connect and no IP.
Message 187 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

None of the developers are responding.. Very bad support. And this is my last time i buy a Netgear router.
Message 188 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Odd as I am having no issues with this firmware, no discconecctions over 2.4 Ghz everything is working just fine with this latest firmware, apart from the GUI being like wading though molasses. I do however have all my devices set using address reservation, not sure if thats making the difference. I'll sit tight till they push another version out but I imagine the R7000 will be replaced soon anyway, it must be coming to the end of its life cycle. Maybe an R7800 Xs or an Asus RT-AC88U but they will all be buggy for quite a while.

Message 189 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Weird also, I have no problem at all with the latest firmware. All my WiFi equipment (2x Chromecasts, 4 Android tablets, Kindles,... ) are working well. Never loses connections, R7000 is fast and steady...

Message 190 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I think some of the longer term users of the R7000 know that you need to reset to factory defaults after the upgrade to 1.0.6.28. If this is followed, it seems fewer people have problems afterwards.

Message 191 of 321
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

All issues reported for the latest firmware has been forwarded already to engineers and they working for a fix. We will provide an update as soon as the fix is available. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Message 192 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I realize that the issues have been sent to engineering, but there are a ton of people who essentially have a useless router now, so some kind of formal workaround or instructions to revert back to a stable release is in order.

Message 193 of 321
niallyb
Aspirant

I lost my USB 3.0 access when I upgraded. It didn't recognize the drive any more (WD mybook  - I tested a couple of them). 

I did a factory reset and reentered my settings manually and then my USB 3.0 HDD returned,  with write speeds averaging close to 40MB/s which is better than before.

Since I had to recreate my wireless netorks from scratch all my wireless clients lost their passwords  - even though I used the same SSIDs and passwords all over again. No biggie.

Authentication on to the 5GHZ band seems a lot slower now but once the devices are connected performance seems fine.

This is my 4th netgear router.  Been reading the posts here for years but this is the first time I've responded.   Be nicer to the support staff people 🙂

Message 194 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

I would agree, Netgear should stipulate to do a factory reset afterwords, and not to use a backup from a previous firmware as well afterwords. The backup really is pretty useless because of this caveat. I tend to do one before and one after, no scientific wizardry but it seems to work well doing that. Also I cured my wan disconnection issues by puling the power plug for ten minutes from the back of the router. (power wart pulled out of wall first) Its almost like a black magic art keeping this router on the right tracks. The GUI is still appalling with the bloat they are adding though. I dont need Arlo, I would have preferred a AV/URL scanner engine like Asus use tbh.
Message 195 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

I really DO hope that we won't have to to a factory reset an reenter everything again when the next firmware comes up. That would be the little drop too much. But I'm sure Netgear's engineers are working hard on making the best firmware for the best network hardware around. Right?

Message 196 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

How can your Clients loose their passwords? Thats not down to the router, that tbh sounds more like a typing error. Make a txt file r a word doc or whatever with all your settings on, open it in the backghround if needed, then copy and paste the settings back into the router. I must admot Netgear do seem to have got stuck with router features comapred with other manufactures, and a very tired old GUI needs updating, its also really slow on this release. maybe Arlo pushed the router a bit to hard, it would have been nice if that was an optional firmware update, as I will never use ut and it just blats ths router wile pushing netgears hardware like a advertisement. Also it has to be included make it opt in, not turned on as default!

Message 197 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Asus users have to do that quite a lot, its getting pretty common now as routers become much more complicated and many more experienced Netgear uers know to do this anyway. Back in the DG834 days the router was so simple, alot has changed that makes this step worth while If you want your router to work properly. I have done this with every update without fail and not had any major ssues at all. It takes 30 minutes out of my day, not exactly a hardship.

Message 198 of 321
cpufox7
Aspirant

RESET  - Can we start over? Unfortunately, I'm already on 1.0.6.28 and having problems, 2.4GHz and losing wireless, having to cycle cable modem and R7000. Trying to keep most newer devices (15+) on 5GHz, however, I have pages of MAC reservations, trap forwarding for Synology/Plex, other services... is there ANY way to restore those entries without manual re-entry?

I have backup, but understand from this post, and other replies I shouldn't be trying to use it. I think I'm screwed, but need to be certain, ugh.

Should I also be waiting for next update?  I'm getting by using 5GHz on essential devices at the moment.

What I really need from the developers is a another way to save off, and restore specific entries for LAN Setup MAC reservations, Advanced, Port Forwarding/Port Triggering, misc other; ideally settings that have crossed between all firmware updates.

Thanks for the help.

Message 199 of 321
glennf14
Tutor

^^^ I'm in the same boat as you. I have a lot of DHCP reservations and port forwarding rules. I'm not confident in Netgear's ability to have a clean update when the fix is released (for example, in this latest firmware's release notes, Netgear said we'd have to remove all port forwarding rules and re-add them).

I've already resigned to the fact that I'll have to do a factory reset when the new firmware is released just to make sure nothing is out of whack *sigh*

Message 200 of 321
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7