Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

Killhippie
Prodigy

No you cant use a backup, that will mess things up. If you downgrade or upgrade its best to set up manually. Yes its a pain but using a backup file can bring in possible conflicts from previous firmwares. Same as some other routers so that's how it is. I have a lot of settings but make a word document or something with them all on, then just copy and paste the ones you can.  I use full 256 bit encryption with 10 devices using address reservation, a VPN etc, and it takes me the time to to know the jobs done properly and that can be 30 minutes plus. That way I know I have no corruption or latent bugs or settings from previous firmware.

Message 226 of 321
JayBee7
Aspirant

No worries thanks - I edited the post as I did further reading and all advised not to import the settings.. Bummer...

So would you suggest the issue with the WAN port is due to the firmware? No other fix then a FW downgrade?

Message 227 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Did the WAN port problem just start after upgrading to 1.0.6.28? Or did you have it running fine for a while and suddenly stopped? Do you have a light on the R7000 for the WAN connection? Perhaps there is a cable issue between the R7000 and your modem.

If you upgraded to 1.0.6.28, sis you do a hard reset to factory defaults followed by a manual reconfig? If not, I would try that first before downgrading.

Also, if at all possible, try connecting directly to your modem to see if possibly your ISP is actually responsible.

Message 228 of 321
JayBee7
Aspirant

Hi,

just happened for the first time last night, in saying that I have been getting a lot more frequent drop outs over the last couple days. There is a link light however it is amber, when logging into the router (I don't use a modem) the issue I can see is that there is no External IP (ISP) When I bypass the router the Internet works fine, no WiFi and port forwarding though.

I've only had the modem for a couple months, when I first set it up it downloaded the latest FW. Been running fine since.

Message 229 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

I found turning the router off pulling the power plug and then the power lead from the back of the router for about ten minutes stopped my wan port drops, no idea why, but it does.
Message 230 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

A user a while back finally found out that his power brick must have been bad. He had various dropouts and such and a replacement router did not help. On a whim, he tried a new power brick and the problem went away.

Message 231 of 321
tomdz
Aspirant

Message 232 of 321
Ubimo
Aspirant

Betreff: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

I recommend using dd-wrt firmware. I ran into many problems with the latest firmware.

Download and flash this: http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk

Pros:

Awesome, fast and stable firmware with lots of settings you usually don't see with stock firmware.

Cons:

none

My R7000 is running stable since two weeks, no reboots, no WAN connection losses. Just smile 🙂

Message 233 of 321
arekm
Aspirant

Also downgraded to V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 due to network instability with latest fw 😕 Switching hardware to Turris Omnia Router as soon as it is delivered to me.

Message 234 of 321
Brakiss
Aspirant

Have you tested Samba shares? I cannot get mine to work on newest DDWRT

Message 235 of 321
JayBee7
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I ended up going back to 1.0.4.3 for now. All good since. Might look at the dd-wrt firmware in future.

Thanks again 🙂
Message 236 of 321
netwrks
Master

@arekm wrote:

Also downgraded to V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 due to network instability with latest fw 😕 Switching hardware to Turris Omnia Router as soon as it is delivered to me.

I have read breifly about the Turris Omnia router. Let us know how the new router works out when you get it, or post something on Small Net builder..

Message 237 of 321
mondenath
Prodigy

Here you go. Another Beta firmware.

V1.0.6.40_1.1.90

Message 238 of 321
shamarin
Virtuoso

Cool. And where to find details on what is changed or modified?

Message 239 of 321
mondenath
Prodigy

Its still under Beta Q&A testing from Engg team. But i just flashed and it was working fine with significant load time improvement

GUI loads faster as like 5.48

Port forwarding still works

Arlo issues should have been fixed.

Better wifi stability

All functions are working intact as 5.48 fw.

Overall Much improved version than 6.28

Message 240 of 321
shamarin
Virtuoso

Allready installed it and also found that this is for internal QA testing and soon it will be official. On 1.0.6.28 i didn't have any issues. All bugs for me we fixed from first beta FW.

Message 241 of 321
JimLS
Aspirant

Could you please advise if it supports iOS or Android VPN client software.

Thanks

Message 242 of 321
randomnut1
Apprentice

I flashed DD-WRT onto my R7000 over the weekend and i've found its like having an entirely new device. Wifi speeds are better, range is better, i'm just finding so much better performance across my network having flashed it.

Just a word of warning though, This link posted earlier: http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R7000.​chk only leads to Kongs personal test build, and I don't know if he has left extra debug stuff running but I found it slower than his normal release.

His regular release can be found here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/ - choose the latest version then the r7000 folder. Having flashed that it is like a night and day difference in performance.

Message 243 of 321
JayBee7
Aspirant

Hmm sound good, how did you go changing the region? I'm from Australia, had a quick read and couldn't find a script to allow me to change it to Aus, anyone?

Thanks.

Message 244 of 321
randomnut1
Apprentice

Are you referring to changing the region in stock firmware or DD-WRT?

If DD-WRT, it is under setup > wireless > basic settings and the option is Regulatory Domain

I am honestly disappointed I struggled with the stock firmware for so long, DD-WRT is so much better. I really cannot believe that Netgear get away with putting out such comparitivley shoddy official firmware when this 3rd party firmware is able to get such better performance out of it.  Goes to show the actual hardware itself is actually very very good it is just let down by shoddy coding/firmware.

Perhaps Netgear should go down the route some other vendors have gone and just ship DD-WRT as standard.

Message 245 of 321
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just got off the phone with Net Gear and they're trying to charge me $89 for Help over the phone I don't think so! For something they messed up! My Nighthawk was running fine up until last week until they came out with this new update now it keeps dropping connection every minute and I'm just really sick of it! I reset my nighthawk twice and still nothing works right! The 2.4 gh wireless is messed up bad! It really pisses me off that they're trying to charge money for something they messed up I will never buy anything from Net Gear again
Message 246 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Just becauase it happened when you updated does not mean its their fault. Hardware issues can manifest anytime, it shows up quite often when updating firmware as the router is being taxed more having code changes and if something is wromg thats when it will happen, but its not the firmware that did it, also your router may have just died with bad timing too.

That's how support goes with lots of companies these days 90 days and thats it but the hardware is covered gor how ever many years depending on your country. I think its pretty lousy of Netgear, but its in the T&C's. (Oh Asus have lousy support too)  Try contacting them on here, or via facebook or Twitter Facebook support being the best way I have found.

Message 247 of 321
Retired_Member
Not applicable

They did whats called a hardware test over the phone killhippie...Asked me what color the lights are etc...Then she told me my routers hardware is working...And then proceeded to try talking me into all these different expensive plans after I already paid over $200 for my router...The router is working...just not working right! And it was fine before this last update...i guess the 2.4 gh part ill have to do without until they fix it...
Message 248 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

What I don't understand is why your 2.4Ghz is not working and mine is? Same firmware and I had no issues with 1.0.6.28 either. How did you update, did you do a hard reset via the reset button on the back of the router after the update (wait till all lights are back on I give it a few minutes after to make sure)? Hold the reset button for 20 seconds is what I saw a netgear representative say is desired. I have always held it for about 10 or so and its been fine. Then enter all settings by hand not using a save file. If you have done all that, it makes no sense why some routers work and some don't, unless there is a lot of routers with some incompatibility in them in a hardware revision out there.

Message 249 of 321
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yup i did a reset twice...the 2.4 ghz does work...but it does not work right,I dont know whats going on with it? It has a long delay or something? When i use it on my wireless things like my samsung 5 etc...lap tops etc...the internet keeps spinning and spinning...like the hour glass on a lap top...just has this long delay? And takes like 50 seconds for a screen to pop up at all...such as if i try going on facebooks app on my phone it just spins away or sometimes just doesent connect at all...as soon as i switched to the 5 ghz earlier its been fine...no delays at all! But yes i did a hard reset twice...I have no idea whats going on??? It was fine before the update
Message 250 of 321
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7