Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Router EXTREMELY SLOW INTERNET

kp1738
Aspirant

R7000 Router EXTREMELY SLOW INTERNET

I'm having trouble figuring out why I'm getting EXTREMELY SLOW internet speeds through my Nighthawk R7000.  Internet was buggy so I decided to call Spectrum to see why the internet was slow.  They ran a diagnostic on my modem and internet speeds checked out to be okay, no outages in my area.  The guy had explained that my modem has dual compatability to run wifi and since it was on they assumed to be an interference with my router's wifi. 

First, I disconnected the router from the modem then ran an internet speed test connecting to the modem's wifi.  Got roughly 220mbs.  Then the guy had me disable my modem's wifi (ARRIS surfboard SBG) through the wireless settings.  Then after resetting both the modem and router and plugging back everything, he had me connect only using the NETGEAR router R7000 wifi.  The wifi was still slow, if not slower.  He said he could no longer help me beyond that because his knowledge with Netgear products was limited and the internet speeds for Spectrum were fine when using the modem. 

My internet speed from my ps4 plugged directly into my router (LAN) is 54kbps and my 5G wifi connection from my computer (less than 5 feet from the router) is floating around 12mbps. 

Since the internet was working fast when I was connected to my modem's wifi, I figured there's got to be some sort of problem with the configuration of my router. Please help. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
kp1738
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Router EXTREMELY SLOW INTERNET

Thanks!  That was actually part of what I meant when I said I had turned off the modem's wifi.  The tech guy had me go into the settings and disable its routing functions and plug the ethernet cable from my router into the SBG's port 1 so that it would only act as a modem.

Firmware is currently on V1.0.9.88

My brother fixed the problem.  He changed the router's MAC address to default and disabled QOS.  Now getting 200+ mbps on my computer and 120+ mbps on my PS4!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

turning off the wifi on the SBG*** (actual full model helps) doesn't disable its routing function. You could be in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2 easiest options? 

1. place the SBG in bridge mode. This disables its routing functions and it acts as just a modem.

2. place the netgear in AP (access point) mode. It disableds its routing functions and it acts as just a wireless/ethernet device. 

You also didn't put what firmware your r7000 is on. Its another key factor. So far the agreed upon stable version of the firmware is 1.0.9.42.  there was just a new one put out but so far I haven't heard much feedback on it. 

If you do downgrade, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset afterwards. 

Message 2 of 3
kp1738
Aspirant

Thanks!  That was actually part of what I meant when I said I had turned off the modem's wifi.  The tech guy had me go into the settings and disable its routing functions and plug the ethernet cable from my router into the SBG's port 1 so that it would only act as a modem.

Firmware is currently on V1.0.9.88

My brother fixed the problem.  He changed the router's MAC address to default and disabled QOS.  Now getting 200+ mbps on my computer and 120+ mbps on my PS4!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7