Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000. Some devices losing connection but not all

junglesim
Star

R7000. Some devices losing connection but not all

Hi, I apologise if this issued is covered elsewhere. On a daily basis, several of my home devices lose connection to the internet while still connected to My R7000 (firmware V1.0.11.136_10.2.120).  Sometimes it is all devices, while at other times it is just a random few (i.e. not always the same devices).  Restarting the router usually fixes the issue but that fix is only temporary and frustratingly the router will not let me reconnect via the Netgear NightHawk app until I do a full factory reset.  I can live with the netgear app not working but the internet being down on the random devices is a real pain.  This issue has persisted through several latest firmware releases.  Might I please ask whether anyone else has been experiencing similar issues and whether anyone has a solution?  Much thanks!

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000. Some devices losing connection but not all

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 9
junglesim
Star

Hi plemans.  Thank you for your reply.  It is connected to a bog standard cable modem from my ISP.  Perhaps I am being naive but I discounted the modem as being the issue as it is a passthrough and I believe all the DNS activity happens in the router. 

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

No idea what model a "bog standard modem" is but they can be important. Some bridge modes are poorly implemented or not even a proper bridge mode at all. 

Its why sometimes we'll recommend leaving a ISP supplied modem/router in router mode, disable its wifi, and then either put the netgears IP address into its DMZ or run the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 4 of 9
junglesim
Star

It's a Virgin Media Super Hub 2 that I have had for an age (I doubt this would mean much too you so I omitted it).  I will certainly give what you say a whirl, thanks.  I am a tad sceptical that it'll work as I've had the modem in modem-mode connected to my R7000 for years and it worked flawlessly.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Ahh the virgin hubs. 

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen one of those updated poorly and fubar everything. 

Give it a shot, maybe it'll work. 

If not, how many devices do you have the the R7000? 

its getting a little older of a device having been released in 2013. 

Message 6 of 9
junglesim
Star

Thanks plemans. I have a newer virgin modem (again that I have had for ages, but I have never bothered using). Do you think it might be a hardware issue with the router and thus time for me to get a new one?
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Tough to know this early.

And the R7000 was a pretty solid device. Usually if there's issues, a reinstall of firmware and factory reset can fix many corruption issues. 

But its always a possibility. 

But I'd try messing with the modem first and see where it gets you. 

Did you say how many devices you had connected? 

Message 8 of 9
junglesim
Star

There are usually 10-15 devices connected. My feeling is that the DNS gets confused somehow when new devices connect. It is also strange that the behaviour I experience seems to happen a bit overnight.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7