Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Use second one in AP mode or Use Wireless Extender Instead?

Swiftrunbob
Tutor

R7000 Use second one in AP mode or Use Wireless Extender Instead?

Hi

currently I have my R7000 in my dining room.  Its wired to a living room TV, PVR and a bedroom TV & PVR.

When Im in my bedroom my wifi signal is poor.  I was thinking of adding a 2nd R7000 into my bedroom.  I think I can use the wired connection that goes to my PVR, then wire the PVR back up to the new R7000 in my bedroom.

This should fix my wifi signal issue.   What I'm wondering is the 2nd PVR that I'm adding in my bedroom should be setup as a bridge or AP or something else?

Remember my bedroom TV and PVR will be wired to the added R7000.

So the the end the R7000 will be connected to a TV, PVR and any wifi device that in the bedroom?

thanks

Bob

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000

@Swiftrunbob wrote:
I’ve used an extender in another situation and they are just never fast enough.

That doesn't make sense. An extender can be either wired to a router as an Access Point or "bridged" as a wifi repeater.

It is hard to see how an extender in AP mode can be slower than a router in AP mode.

The router would certainly be more expensive.

@Swiftrunbob wrote:
I’m just not sure if it should be setup as a wired bridge, wired AP or a wired repeater.

What's the difference?

AP mode is probably the easiest.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not sure why you are keen for an R7000 however, yes, feasible. Mind you, it's required to configure the second R7000 as a wireless access point, either during the initial configuration, or later -> How do I change my Nighthawk router to AP mode after I’ve already run setup?

No special settings are required on your other wired or wireless devices.

Message 2 of 8
Swiftrunbob
Tutor

Thanks!

I'm satisified with my current R7000, this is the main reason I'm thinking of using a 2nd R7000.

regards

Bob

Message 3 of 8

The R7000 is one of the devices that supports both access point and wireless repeater (WDS) mode.

So you can wire the two routers together or connect them over wifi.

But like @schumaku I wonder why you want two routers when you have other options. I wifi extender would work. That is what they are designed for.

You could even consider Powerline Ethernet with an access point in the bundle.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward  no Powerline required - the OP PVR is already connected by a network cable, that's the one Bob intends to use to link up the access point.

Message 5 of 8
Swiftrunbob
Tutor

Hi everyone
Thanks for the feedback.
I’ve used an extender in another situation and they are just never fast enough. When you wirelessly extend a signal, it’s just not as fast.
The fact I already have a CAT7 Cable in the bedroom is what I think I’ll use for the 2nd R7000.
Then I’ll reconnect the TV via a short CAT cable.
I’m just not sure if it should be setup as a wired bridge, wired AP or a wired repeater.
The endgame is to have still feed my PVR and Smart TV with wired internet while increasing wireless WiFi in the bedroom for my IOS devices.

Thoughts?

Thanks
B
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8

@Swiftrunbob wrote:
I’ve used an extender in another situation and they are just never fast enough.

That doesn't make sense. An extender can be either wired to a router as an Access Point or "bridged" as a wifi repeater.

It is hard to see how an extender in AP mode can be slower than a router in AP mode.

The router would certainly be more expensive.

@Swiftrunbob wrote:

What's the difference?

AP mode is probably the easiest.

Message 7 of 8
Swiftrunbob
Tutor

Hi
I used the extender wirelessly, a wired extender probably would have worked better.
I’ll try setting up the 2nd R7000 as an AP

Thanks👍🏼
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7