Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 can’t establish and internet connection from fiberbox

Jojonono
Follower

R7000 can’t establish and internet connection from fiberbox

Hi guys
Been using R7000 for years no problem
Recently I moved to turkey and took my router with me
They got fiver setup over here where a small fibre modem connects to the fiber line and the usual crappy ISP router connecting to it through Ethernet, usual setup like I had before in the UAE, I simply connected my r7000 (internet/wan) port to the fiber box through Ethernet cable, interred my pppoe username and password but I just can’t get an internet connection and the orange bulb keeps on the r7000
The other cheap router from isp works fine I dug a lot of the settings even tried to get the help of the isp but that didn’t work either, is there is some way to get the r7000 to work some how ?? I’d really like to replace that crappy isp router with something better, thanks…
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Jojonono  I'll give you the most honest answer you'll probably get. Buy a new up to date router. I just did, and it's absolutely miles ahead of the R7000 in every respect, but then the R7000 is a decade old conceived model. There comes a point when you just gotta let go. I apologise if that isn't particularly helpful in solving your immediate problem and of course buying a new router involves money, but honestly, it's probably the best option.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Ask the ISP at the new location if there router can be removed and yours installed and what configuration is needed to set it up to work with there ONT. 
2. If you can't use your router, disable ALL wifi radios on the there router, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from there router. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on there router and connect the NG router to the ISP router LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

@Jojonono wrote:
Hi guys
Been using R7000 for years no problem
Recently I moved to turkey and took my router with me
They got fiver setup over here where a small fibre modem connects to the fiber line and the usual crappy ISP router connecting to it through Ethernet, usual setup like I had before in the UAE, I simply connected my r7000 (internet/wan) port to the fiber box through Ethernet cable, interred my pppoe username and password but I just can’t get an internet connection and the orange bulb keeps on the r7000
The other cheap router from isp works fine I dug a lot of the settings even tried to get the help of the isp but that didn’t work either, is there is some way to get the r7000 to work some how ?? I’d really like to replace that crappy isp router with something better, thanks…

Message 3 of 8
jojonono2
Aspirant

so for opt. 3 setting the NG as an AP, will i face any issues down the road ? VPN, gaming, firewall, port forwarding etc.. ? will i be able to do all setting on the AP side without bothering with the main router ?

and finally assuming all clients connect to the AP will everything be routed throough it and no penalty on the transfer speeds ?

thanks,

Message 4 of 8
jojonono2
Aspirant

@Portwey84 wrote:

@Jojonono  I'll give you the most honest answer you'll probably get. Buy a new up to date router. I just did, and it's absolutely miles ahead of the R7000 in every respect, but then the R7000 is a decade old conceived model. There comes a point when you just gotta let go. I apologise if that isn't particularly helpful in solving your immediate problem and of course buying a new router involves money, but honestly, it's probably the best option.

i pretty much might as well do that, i have the NETGEAR Nighthawk RAX200 currently on my amazon cart and thinking of getting that model just not sure because wifi 6e seems a bit too early or so i have in mind ! ive been constantly been told for ages to stay away from Wi Fi 6 on SNBF and the technology wasnt matture enough and its heavily lacking and stick with your R7000, but i might pretty much do...! now we have 6e lol !...

Message 5 of 8
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@jojonono2  When I got my R7000 a couple of years back, I thought it was the best router I'd used, especially when compared to the ISP provided junk, which are so locked down, you can do basically nothing with them which I guess is fine for 95 percent of the general home user. When I purchased the R7000, I was at a former address and the internet came into the house via copper wire and top speed amounted to just about 50mbps. The router was running through a Draytek Vigor modem and although there were obvious limitations, it was absolutely fine for the environment it was set up in.

Then the frequent firmware updates started. For the most part, I had no issues after each update, in fact, it was all relatively simple. But then the updates, which for the most part seemed absolutely pointless, just became a joke in my eyes. Anyway, a few months ago, I moved into a new build home with fibre built into the premises and, subject to the relevant monthly fee, download speeds from 150 to 900mbps. Quite simply, from that point onward, the R7000, although no longer required to be shackled to the Draytek modem because it was now just plugged into the ONT, just wasn't cutting it for all of the devices I now had connected to it. On top of that, my Wife is now a full time home worker connected to the internet all day for work purposes. My problems started when I rebuilt my desktop and put a WiFi6 motherboard into it. Whenever it connected via 5ghz WiFi band, it just destroyed my Wife's internet connection and the R7000 would just drop all of the connections, so I had to stop using my desktop whilst she was working.

So I decided to go for a tri-band router, and in my case, after looking at all of the offerings from both Netgear and others, I opted for a TP-Link gaming router. Quite simply, the replacement has been a complete success. My Wife can now work using either 2ghz or one of the 5ghz WiFi channels, and I can happily use my WiFi6 desktop on the 2nd 5ghz WiFi band without the whole lot crashing. Other benefits include a much stronger WiFi signal throughout my home, a browser GUI that is super easy to navigate and use (unlike the Netgear GUI) and a decent enough iOS App which enables me to remotely manage my network better in my opinion, than the Nighthawk App did with the R7000. Anyway, I think I've future proofed my setup for some considerable time going forward.

I hope you manage to sort your situation out.

Message 6 of 8
GregGreg
Star

@Jojonono 
The classic configuration of this type of connection should look like this:
The ISP fiber box should be configured in bridge mode (one port: fiber, second port: Ethernet).
The R7000 should work as a WiFi Router (R7000 WAN port connected to Ethernet port in ISP box)
If there is not possible and the ISP box works as a router, try to set another private network on R7000, so that routing works properly (e.g. 192.168.10.255/24)
The ISP should not block the MAC address of the connected router (R7000). If there is a problem with it, check the current MAC address on the crap router and enter it into the R7000 interface.
If your ISP requires login: ask him for parameters and required credentials. If not, do not set login.
I have no more ideas.

As for the hardware change: the new hardware should be less problematic than the R7000, but it won't solve your network configuration problems.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@jojonono2 wrote:

so for opt. 3 setting the NG as an AP, will i face any issues down the road ? No.

VPN, gaming, firewall, port forwarding etc.. ? will i be able to do all setting on the AP side without bothering with the main router ?

These would all be handled by the host router while the NG router is in AP mode.

and finally assuming all clients connect to the AP will everything be routed throough it and no penalty on the transfer speeds ? Correct and thru the main host router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7