Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 keeps losing IPv6 WAN address

Texel
Aspirant

R7000 keeps losing IPv6 WAN address

Hello,

I'm with Rogers Cable and am able to obtain and keep an IPv6 address when using the Rogers Hitron CGN3 gateway, but when I use the R7000 it gets an IPv6 address for an hour or so and then I lose it. I can get it back again by rebooting the R7000 only (no need to reboot Hitron). 

I can confirm this has been an issue with at least the last three firmware versions. Currently using V1.0.8.34_1.2.15

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Texel
Aspirant

Re: R7000 keeps losing IPv6 WAN address

@ElaineM - It seems this entire situation has to do with the Hitron CGN3ACR modem.  Apparently all the Hitron CGN3 AC related modems including the 3552 have this exact issue when in bridge mode.  In gateway mode they can hold an IPv6 address, but in bridge mode they seem to have an issue passing the address to a third party router. 

I changed the modem to a Hitron CODA-4582, bridged it, and I've had an IPv6 address on my Netgear R7000 since doing the change (over two days now).

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
William10a
Master

The gateway you have is a modem/router combination the two routers could be the problem if the r7000 has beter wifi and internet speed you could place the isp's gateway in a bridge mode and use it as a gateway only you should get your ipv6 addressing.

Here is a link to the gateway device you have https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

I hope this helps some.

Message 2 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

I guess I should have mentioned that.  The Hitron gateway is bridged.  I have no issues with IPv4, only IPv6. 

Message 3 of 21
William10a
Master

I have the basic issue but not with the r7000 I'am playing around with a Linksys EA6350 that someone whats to work with ipv6 no luck on their's either but not sure it is the router bypass the router and coonected direct to the modem a arris tm1602 their latest without a router in side if it with phone service enable no still no ipv6 service just ipv4 address I wonder Spectrum supports ipv6 over their phone service modems.

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Does IPv6 stable if you directly connect a PC to the ISP modem while it's in router mode? If the PC fails to maintain a IPv6 connect while directly connected to the ISP modem, possible ISP service issue here. 

Message 5 of 21
William10a
Master

Thank you for confirming the possible of a isp issue  was running out of ideas that even made sense I know that a Netgear and A Linksys router one of them should have seen a ipv6 address.

Message 6 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

1) Computer connected via Ethernet to the ISP's Hitron modem in bridge mode, gives me an IPv6 address and it works perfectly.

2) Computer connected via Ethernet to the ISP's Hitron modem in gateway mode, gives the Hitron an IPv6 address and works perfectly.

3) Computer connected via Ethernet to the Netgear R7000 which is connected to my ISP's Hitron modem in bridge mode, gives the R7000 an IPv6 address for about 1 Hour. After about 1 Hour the IPv6 address is lost and can be restored by rebooting the R7000.

To me this seems like an issue with the R7000 since the issue only happens when I'm using it.

Message 7 of 21
William10a
Master

There have been postings about the firmware and ipv6 in past I wonder if the issue has ever been fixed I know that there firmware updates to correct this issue and for other models as well you could in the same boat as me hitting your head into the wall for no good reason me and my isp and yours possible the router it's self.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you two should contact ElaineM about and see if she can forward this on to NG engineering for review...

Message 9 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Texel Can you provide me what IPv6 settings you have? 

Message 10 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

@ElaineM 

I've tried the following WAN IPv6 internet connection types:  

Auto Detect (ends up on DHCP),  DHCP and Auto Config.  All of these give the same end results as discribed above.

DNS = I've tried both Auto and manually set Google's IPv6 addresses.  Again, same end results.

LAN setup = Auto Config. 

I'm open to any suggestions.  Thanks.

Message 11 of 21
William10a
Master

You could call isp and set their ipv6 on the router by their settings just a idea.

Message 12 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Texel Let us know what IPv6 settings are recommended by your ISP.

Message 13 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM.  Rogers is my ISP and the only information I've been provided is to use DHCP since the address is dynamic. 

Message 14 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Texel Which firmware is stable for you?

Message 15 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

@ElaineM - No firmware version has been able to maintain an IPv6 address for more than an hour or so.

I've been trying IPv6 for the past year or so. Everytime a new fw version is released, I update it and try IPv6 again.  I'm currently on the latest version V1.0.8.34_1.2.15. 

Message 16 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Noted on that. I thought you had it working previously with a lower fw version. 
Let me check on this and will get back at you.

Message 17 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

@ElaineM - It seems this entire situation has to do with the Hitron CGN3ACR modem.  Apparently all the Hitron CGN3 AC related modems including the 3552 have this exact issue when in bridge mode.  In gateway mode they can hold an IPv6 address, but in bridge mode they seem to have an issue passing the address to a third party router. 

I changed the modem to a Hitron CODA-4582, bridged it, and I've had an IPv6 address on my Netgear R7000 since doing the change (over two days now).

Message 18 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's good to know. Did you just happen to change your modem? Is this a replacement from your ISP? 

Glad to hear that it's not the router. 

Message 19 of 21
Texel
Aspirant

My ISP recommended the modem change because of the info I noted above. I changed it at a Rogers retail store.
Message 20 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the confirmation. This will surely help other users who are using the same modem. 

Have a great day!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7