Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 online dashboard says wifi is off but lights on unit say it's on

chele519
Aspirant

R7000 online dashboard says wifi is off but lights on unit say it's on

I have an R7000 router. I moved over the weekend and now I have no wifi. It was working fine when it was packed in a box but now there's an issue. It has been rebooted multiple times. I have done a factory reset but still have the issue. When I go to the webpage 192.168.1.1 it tells me wireless is off. The lights on the router tell me that wifi is on. I can connect using an ethernet cable and tried to go thru setup again but it still tells me wifi is off. I'm not sure if something got damaged. On the app, it tells me that it's online however it doesn't show any devices connected except the laptop hardwired. The network name does not show up in any of my devices and I've rebooted those as well. Can anyone give me suggestions to try before I buy something new? Thanks

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7000 online dashboard says wifi is off but lights on unit say it's on

@chele519 wrote:
It was the power cord. I was using the one from the switch by mistake. As soon as I swapped them it worked. Of course I had already picked up a new one just in case with snow coming and needing to work from home. An AX 2400, RAX29 for $100. Since I was constantly having to reboot the r7000 I might keep the upgrade

Now you know!  Please mark this thread as resolved so others may benefit.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@chele519 wrote:

I have an R7000 router. I moved over the weekend and now I have no wifi. It was working fine when it was packed in a box but now there's an issue. It has been rebooted multiple times. I have done a factory reset but still have the issue. When I go to the webpage 192.168.1.1 it tells me wireless is off. The lights on the router tell me that wifi is on. I can connect using an ethernet cable and tried to go thru setup again but it still tells me wifi is off. I'm not sure if something got damaged. On the app, it tells me that it's online however it doesn't show any devices connected except the laptop hardwired. The network name does not show up in any of my devices and I've rebooted those as well. Can anyone give me suggestions to try before I buy something new? Thanks

On the row of LED indicators on the front, the second one in from the far right is a combination manual switch/indicator.  Push and hold it in for a few seconds and release.  The Wi-Fi radios should come on.  You may have to toggle the switch a couple of times.  This manual switch over-rides both a power down/restart as well as a default reset.

Are you sure you have the appropriate power adapter connected?  Look at the voltage and current requirements on the back of the router and compare them to the voltage and current supply specifications on the part you plug in to the wall.

Message 2 of 14

@chele519 wrote:

I have an R7000 router. I moved over the weekend and now I have no wifi. It was working fine when it was packed in a box but now there's an issue.

What about the box in front of the R7000? The one that connects the router to the Internet?

Did you take the modem with you? Or is there a different one in the new property?

When you change the modem, it helps to reset the router and set it up again from scratch.

Message 3 of 14
chele519
Aspirant

I have turned the switch on and off a couple times and it didn’t turn the wifi back on. I also have a netgear switch so it’s possible the power cords got switched, I can check that tonight.
Message 4 of 14
chele519
Aspirant

I kept my modem that works fine if I go directly from modem to laptop by Ethernet cable. And it’s fine if I go from Ethernet out to the laptop. It’s just the wifi
Message 5 of 14

@chele519 wrote:
I kept my modem that works fine if I go directly from modem to laptop by Ethernet cable.

And that modem is?

Even if you have the same kit, moving house means that you will have a different connection to the Internet. That will affect the settings that the router sees as it connects to the router.

The usual advice is to reset both devices – modem and router – and to set them up as a new connection to the Internet.

Hard to see how this would affect just the WiFi. (Hence the modem question.) But a reset would be the first thing that tech support would ask you to do.

Message 6 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@chele519 wrote:
I kept my modem that works fine if I go directly from modem to laptop by Ethernet cable. And it’s fine if I go from Ethernet out to the laptop. It’s just the wifi

Another piece of this puzzle is the firmware version that is installed on your R7000.  Please log in to the graphical user interface (GUI) and provide the version number.  Look in the upper right hand corner of the page.  "The latest" is not a good answer as it is something that cannot be verified.

Message 7 of 14
chele519
Aspirant

The modem is Arris SBV2402
Message 8 of 14
chele519
Aspirant

Ok I can do that tonight. It did tell me there was a new version and I hit yes to install.
Message 9 of 14

@chele519 wrote:
The modem is Arris SBV2402

Nothing of a router nature to get in the way.

Message 10 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@chele519 wrote:
Ok I can do that tonight. It did tell me there was a new version and I hit yes to install.

When you are logged in to the GUI, go to the Advanced tab, Settings, and Wireless section.  For each Wi-Fi band, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, there is a setting to enable SSID broadcast.  Confirm there is a check mark beside each one.

I have to ask, you do have the antennas installed?

Message 11 of 14
chele519
Aspirant

It was the power cord. I was using the one from the switch by mistake. As soon as I swapped them it worked. Of course I had already picked up a new one just in case with snow coming and needing to work from home. An AX 2400, RAX29 for $100. Since I was constantly having to reboot the r7000 I might keep the upgrade
Message 12 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@chele519 wrote:

Now you know!  Please mark this thread as resolved so others may benefit.

Message 13 of 14

@chele519 wrote:
It was the power cord. I was using the one from the switch by mistake. As soon as I swapped them it worked.

Stuff happens.

An AX 2400, RAX29 for $100. Since I was constantly having to reboot the r7000 I might keep the upgrade

Good move. That's a newer device. The old one can act as an access point. Or just to connect more USB drives to the network.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7