Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 setting time zone

bugs_galore
Guide

R7000 setting time zone

Am trying to set the time zone in our R7000, using Advanced --> Administration --> NTP Settings.

The firmware on this R7000 is V1.0.11.126_10.2.112.

There are three problems:

1) Every time I change the time zone it ends up back at GMT-12:00.  I always select GMT-8:00 "Pacific," then hit apply.  Yet the time in the device doesn't match GMT-12:00 - in fact the time in the R7000 is GMT - 7 hours.

2) I select "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time," but the R7000 never remembers I checked the box.

3) Every time I change the time zone the wifi signal drops

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
bugs_galore
Guide

Re: R7000 setting time zone

I can report the workaround suggested by Portwey84 does work. 

After attempting and failing to set pool.ntp.org as the NTP server I set it back to "Use default Netgear NTP server" and noticed the time zone is now correctly set.  And after about 10 minutes after selecting "Automatically adjust" the time show correctly too.

Plus, pool.ntp.org now shows in the NTP server gui box even though it didn't at first.  (That option isn't checked)

Thanks Portwey84.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@bugs_galore  The situation you describe has happened to me a couple of times, usually after a firmware update but it seems to correct itself.

Try choosing another NTP server rather than using Netgear's preferred NTP. I set my router NTP to a server nearer to my locale and it works fine.

Message 2 of 6
bugs_galore
Guide

Thanks Portwey84.  How did you set the other NTP server?  I looked up some NTP server IP addresses and tried entering them in the 'Primary NTP server" gui box and checking the "Set your preferred NTP server" checkbox, but the R7000 doesn't accept the ip address.  After I hit Apply the box where I entered the IP address is empty.  Maybe IP address isn't what it's looking for?

Message 3 of 6
bugs_galore
Guide

I also tried entering pool.ntp.org into the Primary NTP server gui box.  But after hitting apply the box is empty again as if nothing had been entered there.

Message 4 of 6
bugs_galore
Guide

I can report the workaround suggested by Portwey84 does work. 

After attempting and failing to set pool.ntp.org as the NTP server I set it back to "Use default Netgear NTP server" and noticed the time zone is now correctly set.  And after about 10 minutes after selecting "Automatically adjust" the time show correctly too.

Plus, pool.ntp.org now shows in the NTP server gui box even though it didn't at first.  (That option isn't checked)

Thanks Portwey84.

Message 5 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@bugs_galore  Great result! Pleased it worked for you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7