Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 signal, no internet access

RyuMisukiri
Aspirant

R7000 signal, no internet access

Hello
For the last five years this model has served me well. Recently it has started to give me some grief and I have been unable to find what the issue is. I am not the most educated on routers, modems and internet. Yet I have tried to search for solutions or to find out what is going on. I could use some advice or help if possible. 

Info:
AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk
V1.0.11.126_10.2.112
Windows 11

The router is upstairs in the attic with me as our normal ISP router doesn't reach that far. It draws the internet from an outlet forseen by the building. It has worked for five years and I have changed cables, connection points, etc without any luck. 

The situation is as following:

Every day once or twice I lose access to the internet. The router remains blue on connectivity while twitch keeps livestreams going, a browser text-based game i play updates in real time until session is closed, acts with internet access (unless i close the browser and restart it than i can't access the sites) the game i play does update in real time without issue until than which puts me off to think something is going on i don't understand. I lose access for about half an hour to an hour sometimes longer. It usually comes back without restarting the router. But until now no dice to fixing it. This is ethernet for the record, my wifi says on my phone no internet access when i look at it when this happens. 

The modem from ISP which is  connected downstairs works perfectly, tv signal, internet signal both ethernet and wifi. The router upstairs is the R7000. 

What have I done already?

- multiple factory reset

-- They did place a new ISP modem from the company so I resynced it properly multiple times. These issues occured two-three weeks after that placement. Not sure if this matters!
- changed cables, used different outlets
- updated firmware, etc as far it allows me 

This piece of equipment was quite expensive for me personally and it would be a shame if something was wrong with it hardware wise. Replacing it would be a problem. So I want to be sure as possible that it is broken/faulty or I am simply aware of a fixable problem. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7000 signal, no internet access

Repeat question from previous post:

What is the temperature environment in the attic where the R7000 is located?

The image you posted does not provide sufficient detail to determine the brand name and model number of your modem.  Yes, please write it down and type it into your reply.

The image does show me the device has multiple Ethernet output ports.  This indicates the device is a combination modem and Wi-Fi router.  When you connect your R7000 downstream from your ISP device, the router function in the R7000 is fighting the router in the ISP device for control of your local network.  Your symptoms are a classic indication of a double NAT configuration.  Why is that bad you say? 

See here:  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

Based on your original post, I concluded you are trying to connect to Wi-Fi from your ISP modem as well as your R7000.  They are physically located some distance apart.  Please confirm this conclusion.

If yes, to resolve you double NAT situation, you will need to configure your R7000 as a Wi-Fi access point (WAP).

Click on the Support section at the top of this page, feed in your model number (R7000), go to the documentation section and download the user manual. 

In the user manual, go to page 83 for detailed instructions on setting your router up as a WAP.

Some general practices when setting up a WAP, name your Wi-Fi SSID's something different from the Wi-Fi being broadcast by your ISP modem.  Connect a computer to your WAP and determine the IP address of your WAP.  You will use this to log back in to the user interface to make changes.

Some reference documents to review.

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

https://kb.netgear.com/000064389/How-do-I-find-the-IP-address-of-my-NETGEAR-wireless-access-point

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

It would be helpful to identify the ISP modem by brand name and model number.

I note the firmware on your R7000 is several versions out of date.  To check, go to the Support section at the top of this page, put in your model number, and look at what firmware is available to download for manual update.

Message 2 of 10
RyuMisukiri
Aspirant

ISP is Proximus, Modem is "Internet Box - Sagemcom" This is not mine, but its the same model. The one on the left. 
Thought it may be easier than write it all out. Hope this helps to give more information. The modem in picture is one they used for news article so no wories about exposed information.

I am going to look into the update of the firmware. I thought it was latest available update but I guess i missed that. 

Thanks! I will keep you posted!62ca74548b87eeff632cd12a59b57db8-jpg

Message 3 of 10
Kitsap
Master

Repeat question from previous post:

The image you posted does not provide sufficient detail to determine the brand name and model number of your modem.  Yes, please write it down and type it into your reply.

The image does show me the device has multiple Ethernet output ports.  This indicates the device is a combination modem and Wi-Fi router.  When you connect your R7000 downstream from your ISP device, the router function in the R7000 is fighting the router in the ISP device for control of your local network.  Your symptoms are a classic indication of a double NAT configuration.  Why is that bad you say? 

See here:  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

Based on your original post, I concluded you are trying to connect to Wi-Fi from your ISP modem as well as your R7000.  They are physically located some distance apart.  Please confirm this conclusion.

If yes, to resolve you double NAT situation, you will need to configure your R7000 as a Wi-Fi access point (WAP).

Click on the Support section at the top of this page, feed in your model number (R7000), go to the documentation section and download the user manual. 

In the user manual, go to page 83 for detailed instructions on setting your router up as a WAP.

Some general practices when setting up a WAP, name your Wi-Fi SSID's something different from the Wi-Fi being broadcast by your ISP modem.  Connect a computer to your WAP and determine the IP address of your WAP.  You will use this to log back in to the user interface to make changes.

Some reference documents to review.

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

https://kb.netgear.com/000064389/How-do-I-find-the-IP-address-of-my-NETGEAR-wireless-access-point

Message 4 of 10
RyuMisukiri
Aspirant

firmware updated to V1.0.11.216_10.2.122

The average temperature here in attic is between 15-25°C.

The ISP modem ethernet connections are outlets connected to each of them. Bedroom, attic, living room.In the attic the R7000 is connected through such ethernet outlet which provides my pc with a ethernet & wifi on this floor. As a direct ethernet connection to the outlet does not work. Everyone on the downstairs floor pull wifi, internet and TV from the ISP modem. The only way to have internet on both levels. The wifi from the R7000 is only used by my phone. It is otherwise unused really. This said if I put it in Bridge mode or AP mode nobody will have internet access downstairs. 

Will share details of the ISP modem if I can swiftly. Currently on another location. 

Message 5 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@RyuMisukiri wrote:

firmware updated to V1.0.11.216_10.2.122

The average temperature here in attic is between 15-25°C.

The ISP modem ethernet connections are outlets connected to each of them. Bedroom, attic, living room.In the attic the R7000 is connected through such ethernet outlet which provides my pc with a ethernet & wifi on this floor. As a direct ethernet connection to the outlet does not work. Everyone on the downstairs floor pull wifi, internet and TV from the ISP modem. The only way to have internet on both levels. The wifi from the R7000 is only used by my phone. It is otherwise unused really. This said if I put it in Bridge mode or AP mode nobody will have internet access downstairs. 

Will share details of the ISP modem if I can swiftly. Currently on another location. 

With your R7000 configured in WAP mode and connected downstream of your ISP modem/router, it should have no impact on availability of internet from your ISP modem.  This applies to both Wi-Fi and Ethernet.  The R7000 simply becomes a device connected to your ISP modem via Ethernet.  The ISP modem/router provides routing functions for your network.

Message 6 of 10
RyuMisukiri
Aspirant

Oooh I see, i will look into that and see if i can do it. Will update if anything changes. May take few days to see if anything improves or not. Thanks for the information!

Message 7 of 10
RyuMisukiri
Aspirant

The firmware updated and the double NAT removal fixed it. Just brilliant. Thank you so much!

Message 8 of 10
Kitsap
Master

Glad you got it working!

You might want to save off a backup configuration file from the R7000 for future use in case of an issue.

Message 9 of 10
RyuMisukiri
Aspirant

Actually didn't think of that. i'm not so savy with this stuff. 

Thanks again! Enjoy your weekend! 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7