Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P 5GHz wifi speed going down after a few days

Creatium
Guide

R7000P 5GHz wifi speed going down after a few days

Hi!

I am having issues with my rather newly purchased R7000P router. I have both 2Ghz and 5Ghz wifi enabled. The problem is that at first everything works fine, but after a few days of working the speed of 5Ghz just drops down from ~95Mbps to ~10-12 Mbps, but upload speed stays consistent. Only the reboot of device helps and fixes the problem for another few days.

I'm using the latest V1.3.1.26_10.1.3 firmware. First had QoS enabled, now disabled it but that didn't help. Also tried changing channel to 36, but that makes no difference. Don't know what else should I try. 

I also have a TP-Link power line adapter set up, but disabling it does not fix the problem.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
Creatium
Guide

So my router just stopped working. Red power light, neither simple or hard reset works. I am returning it and probably going with TP-Link next time. 

Case closed.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 29

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Creatium, 

Was there any changes on your network setup before you noticed the issue? 

Did you try changing channel? 

What device are you using to connect to the 5GHz? 

Please find this link helpful to resolve 5GHz network connectivity issue: 

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/

Regards,

Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Hi! Thanks for a reply.

The provided link does not help - I've seen it before.

Currently using 48 channel, though tried 36. Using my macOS built-in wifi analyzer I see that noone else is using 5GHz in my territory, so that should not be the problem I guess.

I am currently testing speeds everyday. Looks to me that they just drop every single day.

I see speed drops on my Samsung Smart TV  and my iPhone 6 (again, doing same testing). It is hard to say if that problem exsisted since my purchase, but it definately has been for at least 2 months now (I have this router for like 4 months).

Message 3 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Speed drop seem to be random. I don't see any repetetive actions that cause it to drop. And timeframes are different. What I think is maybe one of the reasons is usage. Looks like the more I use my devicec, the bigger is speed drop. Almost like router gets clogged with data.

Message 4 of 29
Creatium
Guide

So I think I solved my problem. I have disabled my internet-over-power adapter 5Ghz Wifi and speeds on main router are still as high as should be. I don't get it. Channels where different, so they shouldn't have been interfering with each other.

Anyway, it's been a week now and everything seems to be ok.

Message 5 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Creatium, 

Thank you for your feedback.  Glad that it's working now.   

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Oh boy. The problem is not resolved and apparently it has no connection to turning off of my internet-over-power wifi. Speeds dropped again. 2.4Ghz stays at maximum levels, but 5Ghz drops to 5-10 Mbps on every device that can connect to it.

I have no idea what else can I try. Could it be faulty device?

2.4 Ghz speed (phone gets up to 60 Mbps):

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 22.06.44.png

5Ghz speed:

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 22.02.32.png

Message 7 of 29
Creatium
Guide

I am very confused. This morning speeds are up to what they should be. All the same devices are connected, no settings changed.

Message 8 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Creatium, 

Thank you for the update. Kindly observe the connection for few more days. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Creatium, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 29
Creatium
Guide

I had vacation last week, so was unable to keep an eye on my wifi status. However I didn't notice any changes after I came back, so far it works. I will keep on testing speed on wifi every day and see if anything happens.

Message 11 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Creatium, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 12 of 29
Creatium
Guide

It appears that the problem is rather in my router than in anything else. Looks like the more streams I do to my TV, the more my router gets "filled" and thus the speed drops. 

Message 13 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Updated to the latest firmware and problem still exists.

Going for warranty replacement I guess.

Message 14 of 29

Greetings,

Does the bandwidth flucuation occur across both wired and wireless interfaces, or just wireless?

Have you reset the device, set up from scratch and tested speeds?

Just reset, make no changes and test using defaults.  

Settings you'll want to avoid:

QoS

Traffic Meter

Smart Connect - At least during troubleshooting.  

Message 15 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Thank you for reply.

It only happens on wireless and only on 5Ghz band. I am now testing my router with all the settings reseted to factory defaults. Will see if that helps.

I had all those QoS and other stuff disabled.

Message 16 of 29

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Message 17 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Did a first round of testing. Speed still drops. See image below (newset tests are on top). Will do a second round now to see if maybe one of my devices is triggering this problem. Will post after that.

IMG_3217.PNG

Message 18 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Ok, so I found which device causes my 5Ghz Wifi speed drop down.

I was running my wifi for the past several weeks without any problems, no speed drops. But for this period of testing I disabled (completely unplugged) my Powerline adapter. You see, I live in an apartment which is elongated and my router is place on one end of it. The only way I can get my wifi extended is to use Powerline adapter (which is TP-Link TL-WPA4530). This is a two piece device, one part gets a wired LAN connection, another piece creates wifi.

The moment I plugged that powerline adapter, my 5Ghz speed dropped to 15-20 Mbps. I tried reseting that device to factory defaults, Wifi names are unique for it, Wifi cloning is turned off. And it is running the latest firmware.

Not sure what to do now. Will probably try to plug it in directly to my router with LAN cable (now it is running through my Netgear unmanaged switch) and see if that helps.

Any other recommendations?

Message 19 of 29
Creatium
Guide

Nope. Pluging Powerline adapter directly to router did not solve the issue.

I am now out of options.

Message 20 of 29
wenzelja
Star

Maybe try a cheap router as a wireless bridge to "mesh" your main router to the other end of the apartment vs. the powerline adapter?  Or, buy one of the Nighthawk wifi extenders, which does the same thing as what I suggested above.

Message 21 of 29
Creatium
Guide

The problem is that my ethernet cable goes to only one side of apartment. Extender is what I had before, but it had way too much of a signal loss. 

I would still like to solve this my issue without buying new hardware. Need to mention that before that I use Apple Airport Express and had no issues.

Message 22 of 29
Creatium
Guide

I also have just noticed that my router sometimes does not list Powerline adapter on "Attached Devices" list. Can this be a correlation to the problem I am having?

Message 23 of 29
Lozza6
Aspirant

Hi, did you manage any resolution to this problem?

I just bought my R7000P a few days ago and its a great router, but when I tested the internet speeds, I'm getting 49Mbps on my PC via LAN but on 2.4 and 5Ghz I'm only getting around 10Mbps.

I'm in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment so distance is not an issue and I also ran the Netgear WiFi Analytics app and am sitting on the least crowded channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Loz

Message 24 of 29
Lozza6
Aspirant

Apologies, replied to the wrong thread.  (Please delete post)

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7