Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P 5gHz drops out, comes back

JimRessler
Guide

R7000P 5gHz drops out, comes back

My New Netgear 7000P WIFI router randomly quits transmitting the 5gHz signal.  I've tried factory resets, various firmare from 1.3.2.124 up to 1.3.3.142 Hot Fix, with factory resets and no success. I've been using a third party app and it clearly shows that 5gHz is not transmitting. Any chance this is just the 5gHz radio chip overheating as it's listed at 0.762 watts, a lot of energy without a heat sink and fan. It seemed more stable when I had it on some wood blocks it improve cooling., I took them out when I seemed to be OK, now the issue is back. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JimRessler
Guide

Blowing a fan on it was the trick.  I might by a small USB fan to place under it powered by the front panel USB jack.  I'm planning to go back to most recent firmware, 1.3.3.142 since I subscribe to NetArmor security on the hub. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
JimRessler
Guide

Well, I might have answered my own question.  I put a fan on it and when the unit cooled down, WIFI 5gHz reappeared linking at 975 Mbps to and A7000 Netgear USB WIFI adapter.   The case temp was 90F on top and 102F on the bottom sitting on it's own feet. After 20 minutes with a fan, it was 72 and 5GHz wifi was running great.

I'm calling this a poor design by Netgear by not getting enough cooling flow. Myabe no heat sink on the 5gHz transmitter chip as well.  We all deserve better from Netgear.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

A couple things you could try. 

1. try version 1.3.0.20 of the firmware. install that, do a factory reset, and then reinstall and disable auto-updates. The newer version have netgear armor and even if you don't use it, it puts an additional burden on the device. 

2. try a laptop cooler or small fan to see if it is indeed a cooling issue

3. check the power supply. I've seen power supplies that are going bad cause instabilities. 

Message 3 of 9
JimRessler
Guide

Blowing a fan on it was the trick.  I might by a small USB fan to place under it powered by the front panel USB jack.  I'm planning to go back to most recent firmware, 1.3.3.142 since I subscribe to NetArmor security on the hub. 

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays stable for you!

Message 5 of 9
JimRessler
Guide

Putting the R7000P on blocks is the answer.  I even installed the most recent firmware, 1.3.3.142 Hotfix and not a single drop out.  

All the firmware and resets likely just seem to work because they allow it to stop transmitting long enough to cool down and work for a bit.  Maybe some firmware produces less heat.  If the top cover had vents over the radios, that would likely help.  I might drill my own. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear that has it working!

Sucks that its a heat issue. Tends to signal a hardware starting to fail......

Message 7 of 9
JimRessler
Guide

I don't thinks that it's hardware starting to fail.  Just that the R7000P processer is too much for the original heat sink design. Drilled 52 holes in the top, can feel the heat rolling out and no issue since then.  The design uses thermal pads to connect the processor RF shield to the heat sink, maybe the pads are too low of heat flux. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, to avoid having to do more invasive cooling modification measures, one can install a USB laptop fan under the router to add additional force air cooling. Something I've done since 2010. Works well and keeps routers cool.

One I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Massive-Adjustable-Notebook-CL-N004-PL20BL/dp/B00IGSATZY/ref=sr_1... 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7