Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P - Automatic updates don't see retrieve latest update. Update anyway?

Waggster
Tutor

R7000P - Automatic updates don't see retrieve latest update. Update anyway?

My firmware version on my R7000P is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

The latest firmware available for the R7000P on the Netgear website is a newer version, 1.3.2.XX

When I log into my router and search for the latest update it does not see a newer version. Same applies when looking for

firmware upgrades with the Nighthawk app.

If the automatic updates don't see a newer version for the router even when one is available, is that just a bug in the automatic update, or is that an indication that, for whatever reason, they don't recommend the newer version be installed?

I would like to run with the newest version but won't upgrade if it will brick my router.

Thanks,

Bryan

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: R7000P - Automatic updates don't see retrieve latest update. Update anyway?

NG is sometimes slow on putting new versions on its update server. Best is to manually download it and flash over ethernet

Also, turn off automatic updates, unless you want a future bricked router. Don't use the Nighthawk app/WiFi to update either. Firmware should always be updated over the most reliable link and that is still wired

Message 2 of 4
Waggster
Tutor

I appreciate the advice. I can do it manually as you describe, but I still think there's an issue with the router not seeing updates in a timely manner as my firmware rev is from June of 2019 and the current version is from October of 2020, so I don't believe it's a case of the update server just being a little behind (More like way behind).

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4

@Waggster wrote:

...my firmware rev is from June of 2019 and the current version is from October of 2020, so I don't believe it's a case of the update server just being a little behind (More like way behind).

That is a rare delay.

As @microchip8 says, firmware can take time to make it from the support pages to the update server, but it is usually days rather than months.

Exceptions are when an update is a "hot fix", something that hasn't been through all the quality hoops, or that is a beta version. There was a R7000P-V1.3.2.120_10.1.60_BETA back in June. That may not have made it to the server. It has certainly gone from the support pages.

Another cause is when the jump is too big for the automated process, requiring a reset, for example, that requires user attention. This is rare.

Of course, the other time when people see these delays is when they just haven't noticed it. For example, my R7000P sits hidden with only rare "visits" from an app or browser to alert me to changes. You have just prompted me to check the thing for updates. As @microchip8 advises, I don't let it update itself without my permission.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7