Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P - Google assistant says my router is offline, but it is not - What am I doing wrong/missing?

airliner
Aspirant

R7000P - Google assistant says my router is offline, but it is not - What am I doing wrong/missing?

Hi,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P - I've had it for just over a year and it is working great, except for one thing.

I can't get my Google Assistant to communicate to the router.

I tried to disconnect my phone from WIFI and tried connecting remotely trough the Nighthawk APP, but the phone shows that my router is offline (disconnected). Even though I know it's online and that I turned on remote management.

Is there anything I am missing?

I started by downloading the Nighthawk app, I logged in to the admin page and turned on remote management. Is there a port I should use? 

I then went to google assistant and talked to netgear and linked my account. But assistant always answers: "Your NETGEAR router is offline. Make sure that your router is connected to the Internet and try again."

I appriciate all the answers, thanks in advance and have a great day all.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: R7000P - Google assistant says my router is offline, but it is not - What am I doing wrong/missi

@airliner wrote:

I tried to disconnect my phone from WIFI and tried connecting remotely trough the Nighthawk APP, but the phone shows that my router is offline (disconnected). Even though I know it's online and that I turned on remote management.

I started by downloading the Nighthawk app, I logged in to the admin page and turned on remote management. Is there a port I should use? 

I then went to google assistant and talked to netgear and linked my account. But assistant always answers: "Your NETGEAR router is offline. Make sure that your router is connected to the Internet and try again."

Yes I'm afraid - however it's not your mistake for having learnt what can be configured on the router. The remote access - earlier days Netgear made it clearer by using Remote Management (direct Web access from remote) and Remote Administration (in the Nightawk APP [similar Orbi App, ...].

First, disable the remote access on the router Web UI again (unless you require it for other purposes) because this is not what is required for the Google Assistant link.

While on the local network (ty< picaly by WiFi) open the Netgear App and locate the Remote Administration - it's in Home -> Settings -> Remote Management ... this does establish a cloud connection to Netgear's cloud infrastructure so the App and the Goolge Assistant can talk to your router.

Once done so, the Google Assisant can be linked.

Before you become frustrated, the commands in the KB (Which Google Assistant commands does my NETGEAR router support ) are wrong ...you need to use Ask NETGEAR ----

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000P - Google assistant says my router is offline, but it is not - What am I doing wrong/missi

What modem is the router connected to? (model number)

Message 2 of 5
airliner
Aspirant

No modem - It's connected to my fiber connection in my apartment directly.

@plemans wrote:

What modem is the router connected to? (model number)

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@airliner wrote:

Yes I'm afraid - however it's not your mistake for having learnt what can be configured on the router. The remote access - earlier days Netgear made it clearer by using Remote Management (direct Web access from remote) and Remote Administration (in the Nightawk APP [similar Orbi App, ...].

First, disable the remote access on the router Web UI again (unless you require it for other purposes) because this is not what is required for the Google Assistant link.

While on the local network (ty< picaly by WiFi) open the Netgear App and locate the Remote Administration - it's in Home -> Settings -> Remote Management ... this does establish a cloud connection to Netgear's cloud infrastructure so the App and the Goolge Assistant can talk to your router.

Before you become frustrated, the commands in the KB (Which Google Assistant commands does my NETGEAR router support ) are wrong ...you need to use Ask NETGEAR ----

Message 4 of 5
airliner
Aspirant

Thank you! This worked. I turned off web management, then turned it off in the app. Tried turning everything on like you described and it is working.

Have a great weekend :)!

@schumaku wrote:

@airliner wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7